• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Heats

enchantingdragon

How long do they typically last? I was told about 28 days or 4 weeks by Ellie's breeder. And then wait about 3-4 months before having her spayed. Ellie is a little over 7 months so that would put her at a little over a year when she gets spayed. Also typically how much blood comes with a heat? I guess I naively expected it to be the same as a human despite how much smaller she is. When she had on her diaper thing last night we took it off when she went into her kennel there wasnt a lot of blood. This morning when she was running around the house before I left I didnt put one on her (its hard to do it without my husband because she always sits down and doesnt let me get her tail through the hole) and didnt seem to notice any blood anywhere. Is it just because its early and itll get heavier like a human or this is it? (that would be great!) Thanks! This is my first dog ever so everything is new to me

Hi Jasmine....Lily has been in heat for a week now. It started off slow, but now is pretty heavy, and bright red. If I didn't have her panties on, I would definitely have a mess. She does clean herself when I take them off, but I did find a couple of spots on my floor when I had it off for a few mins. I don't know how much longer the heavy flow will last, but I figure for about another week and then it should start getting lighter. Didn't you take her to class last night? How did that go with her being in heat? I was afraid to take Lily so I canceled until she is finished.

I usually tell our puppy people to go with 4 weeks from the time spotting started just to be safe. Once that time is up, give her a really good bath. Like your breeder said, 3 to 4 months after that for spaying.

Hi Jasmine,

There is a huge variation in the amount of blood loss during seasons. Some of our bitches hardly spotted at all during a heat, while others made a really big mess.

Be very careful (against unwanted matings) during the entire time. Many people think that the most fertile time is when there is a lot of blood but this is not the case. When we used to get our Boxers mated, it would be done when there was just a tiny clear straw coloured discharge.

Do the "white tissue dab" test every day, and consider her season over once the tissue is completely unmarked for at least an extra week.

Caraline said:
Hi Jasmine,

There is a huge variation in the amount of blood loss during seasons. Some of our bitches hardly spotted at all during a heat, while others made a really big mess.

Hi Caraline...I don't mean to steal Jasmine's thread, but Lily seems to be really flowing like a human and it is bright red. It started off very light, but became much heavier. I just thought a small dog would have a light cycle. She is much heavier than my old English Shhep Dog was! Is this normal???

Shay, I think it's normal. Each dog is different. I've had sister females where one had a very light flow and the other very heavy.

Yep, I think it is normal. Also, do not be concerned if your girl seems a little down during her season, perhaps a little less playful, less interested in her food. I am not sure if canines get period pain & PMT but it wouldn't surprise me at all. Our girls would go from "hey are the any guys around" to "just leave me the hell alone". ;)

Hi Shay,

Coco's bleeding has really lightened up already - like lily her's was bright red and i had to be really careful with her - not to be too gross but if was excited and was shaking her butt (like beyonce as we say) she was completely making a mess of the floor. now it's a lot lighter and i think she is only a week ahead of lily. i'm sure by next week she will be much better... it definitely wasnt at all as heavy as a human though.

Molly, Caraline, and Pamela.

Thanks for the replies. Glad to know it's normal. The one good thing out of all of this is, I think this is going to fix her vulva problem, at least from the looks of things right now. I know "things" will get ...uhm....considerably smaller, but from the looks of "things", dare I say, never as small as before. icon_whistling

jason's not looking forward to lady's heat by the sounds of it we will both be sat on the sofa with a hot water bottle, and watching briget jones diary.

Shay said:
The one good thing out of all of this is, I think this is going to fix her vulva problem, at least from the looks of things right now. I know "things" will get ...uhm....considerably smaller, but from the looks of "things", dare I say, never as small as before. icon_whistling

:lol: Poor baby... some of them get ENORMOUS.

Caraline said:
:lol: Poor baby... some of them get ENORMOUS.
Caraline.....she is HUGE. Not to be too graphic, but it is the size of a plum. I sure hope it goes down A LOT :roll: She has been just an angel though, bless her little heart. I noticed today her flow is not as heavy. Hopefully, we're in the home stretch. Shissh....never again.

Back