• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Doggy Nightmares?

Joanne M

Have any of your dogs ever been sound asleep and began to wail? Since Tucker is the first dog in my life this may not be uncommon but I do not know. I find this mournful sound disturbing. It is not often perhaps once every couple of months or so and Tucker will make the most sad sound, it's something like a howl but more like a long wail. It seems to happen when he has fallen asleep and I am in another room. It is loud enough that I have heard it from down in my basement. Whenever it has happened I rush to him, he's still sleeping and I pick him up and cradle him in my arms. He stops.

Do dogs have bad dreams? He shows no sign of physical discomfort. The wail/howl stops as soon as I comfort him.

All of my dogs dream. Every dog I have ever had has done that. Spencer is especially prone to make little whimpers and act like he is running after or away from something. I would not be too alarmed. :flwr:

Maybe he's not scared. Maybe he is dreaming he is auditioning for American Idol. :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

LOL @ Lindsay !!!
Maybe he's not scared. Maybe he is dreaming he is auditioning for American Idol.

Yep, he's dreaming and you're probably waking him up right at the good part!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

He's letting the world know that he's about to catch one of those black birds that you wrote about earlier! ;D

All animals dream, their paws and whiskers move like crazy.

Sometimes they howl or have short little cries in their sleep.......

Then, they go back to normal sleep and start snoring, busy little sleepers! :)

indy usually makes a funny little 'peep peep' sound that i'm sure is ferocious barking in his dreams :D but he has done the howl once.

it must be disturbing but i'm sure like the others said it's very exciting in tucker's mind :D

i was going to write that i wish we could see their dreams, but it's probably full of unpleasant things that are exciting to them but gross to us...q-tips and dirty socks spring to mind :roll:

k

Kosmo is my wailer.. We call it slaying dragons.

Sometimes he actually growls and lets out a "grrrrruff" in his sleep. I laugh at him all the time. Avi at first thought he was dying because he'd never seen it before. icon_whistling

All mine twitch and 'run' but Monty howls. As this often goes with 'running' he's probably regressed and is hunting with the pack. He has never howled when awake, though Izzy and Teddy have. Izzy howled because he was annoyed at Joly making too much play noise and the Teddy joined him. Both sat on the landing for this display, but Monty showed no interest at all.

Lily does it too, all my dogs have done this. They are having doggie dreams about wonderful big bones, chasing squirrels, rabbits, cats, or a big juicy steak :lol:

I am relieved to know this is not uncommon. Thank you all for your comments. Though Tucker sounds more like he's calling a long lost coyote mate than he does chasing a fluffy bunny rabbit or butterfly. I probably traumatized him by waking him up and holding him!

All my dogs have dreams. Sometimes their little tails are wagging furiously, other times they will be running :lol: while they are laying down, sometimes chewing & sucking some yummy dreamed up meal, and yes sometimes they cry out in fear.

My Sam the Boxer makes pitiful little wuff-wuff-wuff noises when he has nightmares. He is this 40 kilogram scarey looking sheep in wolves clothing icon_whistling and I guess he is dreaming a chihuiahah(sp?) is after him.

I always gently wake them up if they look like they are not having a good time.

all my lil man does is snore so i cannot say but i will watch him now and see does he do anything!

All my dogs snore like grown men. And sometimes Sasha makes little whimpering noises.

Wonder if the breathe right strips would help?

LOL @ Critter: All my dogs snore like grown men. Wonder if the breathe right strips would help?

My little Tricolor does this as well. He's in a deep sleep and then starts barking at nothing and starts rolling around. But he wakes up after around a minute or so of this and runs around to see if it really was a dream or something. :)

Our old Springer Spaniel used to do this, and it was the cutest thing you've ever seen. Oftentimes we would seem him whimpering and moving his paws/legs in his sleep. I would've loved to know what he was dreaming about!! I have a hunch that he was out in the field, chasing birds. Bliss. :lol: Sometimes when he would get really noisy, I would pet him and he would wake up. He'd look at me like, "what the heck? Why'd you wake me up???" and promptly go back to sleep. ;)

lady had done this twice and it scared the crap out of me i think that i frighted her by picking her up and cuddling her. I can't describe the sound kind of whinning and howling. And really loud.

George did this for the first time 2 days ago. I had come home from working nights and had him snuggled up beside me. Out of the blue he started howling like a mad thing! Frightened the life outta me! Nomally when he has a dream he whimpers just a little.

This isn't exactly a nightmare, but involves sleeping ................

A little while ago I got up to go to the bathroom. As I was walking out I saw Sasha with her head up watching me. As I got closer to her (to pick her up and put her off the bed) she put her head down and started "snoring". That's kind of like a kid closing their eyes and thinking that no one can see them!

Lindsay said:
Maybe he's not scared. Maybe he is dreaming he is auditioning for American Idol. :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

lmao..oh my

yeah ollie dreams too, a lil whimper and moves his paw.
its normal..

Back