• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

teething

coconut

We have gotten a hundred and one things to help freddie with his teething. we have noticed that when he seems in really angry and starts barking and biting at us but if i sit with him and give him something to chew he calms down and makes a lil noise as if he is being relieved of pain!

Is this normal for a dog that is teething?? I don't want him barking and biting at people and have corrected him on it!

When he's chewing does he make a kinda grunting noise?? King does this all the time when he's excited about playing. He could be trying to get your attention to play, but who knows what goes on in our kids heads

I recall my dogs were like that during their teething stages. That's good what you're doing by calming him down and letting him chew on something appropriate. :) How old is he?

Have your tried any of the type that can be frozen? Kodee loves the chill bone (a canvas shaped bone you wet and freeze - its vanilla flavoured) and a Hartz rubber bone that you fill with water (it has small holes so they get just a tiny squirt of water when they chew and it can be frozen too).

yeah i have tried frozen things but he is having none of it! The only frozen things he likes is ice :)

lady lost two teeth over the weekend and she has been really grumpy she keeps barking we keep giving her ice cubes, frozen flannels and raw hides and that calms her down a bit. My wisdom teeth keep coming in and then stoping so i feel her pain. :p

oh i know all about wisdom teeth the bloody pain!! i have bought greenies and they really help him, my poor lil baby!

i saw some greenies at pets at home and they were really expensive and only had the huge size i think that i might order some off web i saw a website on another thread.

coconut said:
yeah i have tried frozen things but he is having none of it! The only frozen things he likes is ice :)
:lol: doggie chicken broth popsicles comes to mind!

how do you do that just get the juices and then freeze them i am cooking lamb tonight i could collect the juice and then but them in ice cube bags. I suppose you could use the water from cooked veg aswell?

Natalie said:
how do you do that just get the juices and then freeze them i am cooking lamb tonight i could collect the juice and then but them in ice cube bags. I suppose you could use the water from cooked veg aswell?
Actually, I havent done it - it just popped into my head when you said he liked icecubes! But seriously, some one here (I think its Molly) freezes their pumpkin and puts water on top so its like a crunch treat as her dogs cant have too many treats due to allergies. So following that program - you could freeze chicken broth, but I'd be worried about saving juices with too much fat and might opt for low sodium ready made chicken broth. If he likes icecubes, eating the pumpkin or broth frozen will be a nice treat and help to freeze the gums for a bit of relief. If you do it, let me know if it works as I will be there in 2 mths!

Is it bad to let them have bully sticks at this 5 month old teething stage? Wesley LOVES the bully sticks and does really well with them. But I think I remember hearing something about how you should wait til they are 6 months old.... ? Poor boy looks like a shark right now! Has two rows of teeth on the top and bottom!

I would give him bully sticks. Just get the stubs away from him (trade for a treat) so he won't try to swallow and choke on it.

Charleen's dog is the one referred to with allergies and she freezes pumpkin with water on top. That's a great idea. We freeze pumpkin into ice cubes too. We also gave pups frozen green beans to chew when they were teething. Also, knotted a clean sock, dampened it and froze it. They like to chew that as well for their gums.

molly said:
Charleen's dog is the one referred to with allergies and she freezes pumpkin with water on top. That's a great idea. We freeze pumpkin into ice cubes too. We also gave pups frozen green beans to chew when they were teething. Also, knotted a clean sock, dampened it and froze it. They like to chew that as well for their gums.
:oops: But none the less a brillant idea to make them more crunchy especially for teething. I couldnt resist yesterday and gave kodee a frozen pumpkin cube - I needed to sit for a bit undistrubed and thought what the heck. Um she loved it... cant say the 10 min break I got panned out as I had to spend the next 15 washing the floor! :sl*p: I figured she'd stay in one spot. Silly me, Kodee was so excited she trotted to this corner then that... proudly carrying it. Oh well they needed it anyways.

i didn't use the lamb juice it had too much fat in it and herbs didn't want to upset her tummy. I will try and find some low sodium veg stock when we go food shopping tomorrow.

Back