• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

crufts: choke collars

Natalie

i know that crufts was at the weekend so this post is a little delayed, But i was shocked to see so many choke collars on dogs at crufts even the cavs at crufts weren't wearing harness's are there any reasons for this? I thought maybe it could be due to judges looking at coat etc. But don't these leads hurt the dog?

This was mentioned on the BBC Crufts broadcast. They said that fine metal or fabric 'choke' leads are used so that as little of the dog's shape is covered. They are very fragile and would break if the dog pulled. Also , very few show dogs pull, so they are not used as behvioural control.

Some handlers do 'string up' their dogs though and I know of two judges who tell people that the dog must either be shown on a loose lead or leave the ring.

Barbara Nixon said:
Some handlers do 'string up' their dogs though and I know of two judges who tell people that the dog must either be shown on a loose lead or leave the ring.

I have to say I noticed some of the handlers running the dogs on a very tight lead around the ring. I didn't like the look of this at all and I would agree that they should be asked to leave the ring unless a loose lead is used.

Barbara Nixon: i didn't see that on the broadcast, at least if the dog pulled the collar would snap and wouldn't hurt the dog. So that's good. I would hate to think that any dog would be hurt.

It is easy to get in the habit of stringing a dog up. Think about it---- all those dogs that have gone before them (all those smells--dog heaven) and the dog tries to put their heads down. I have a very delicate metal show "choke type" collar that I can use for show. It looks like a necklace-- I prefer my kangaroo slip show lead. You can't show a dog in a harness-- many show people don't like harness ever. fwiw, Sandy

i didn't even realise that you could get different thickness of choke style collar the only ones i have seen are the very thick ones.

Natalie said:
i know that crufts was at the weekend so this post is a little delayed, But i was shocked to see so many choke collars on dogs at crufts even the cavs at crufts weren't wearing harness's are there any reasons for this? I thought maybe it could be due to judges looking at coat etc. But don't these leads hurt the dog?

Thanks for asking that Natalie, I asked Maxxs Mum the same thing while we were there.

I've just been watching the recording of the programme and notice that the show 'choke' chains aren't fixed to 'run' , but have the lead hooked into both rings, so it wouldn't pull tight, anyway.

A harness wouldn't work for a show dog -- would cover up the coat and inhibit the judge's ability to feel the dog (you will see them hndling each dog to feel for bone/body structure etc). As noted show dogs aren't being controlled for pulling etc by a slip lead, and also don't spend a lot of time at a show being managed by slip lead -- their appearance in the ring is fairly brief in a given day. Some definitely have their heads really pulled high though; I don't really know how uncomfortable this might or might not be. Many of the show dogs are used to lifting heads high for show performances so it may appear they are pulled when they are actually mostly carrying their head high.

I suppose its a bit like horse showing. Some horses have a naturally high head carriage and it might look as if the reins are being pulled. I don't know if its similar to dogs but I know some horses that once they get into the dressage ring start bringing their head up and picking up their feet as they know they are on show. Its a bit like they are saying 'Look at me!'

Back