PDA

View Full Version : Royal Canin mini junior?

kimy27
14th March 2007, 11:53 AM
I am feeding my 12 week old puppy royal canin 3 times a day. Does anyone else use this? If so how much should I be feeding her? I'm scared i'm either over or under feeding her lol. Thanks for any help :)

coconut
14th March 2007, 12:35 PM
I feed freddie this aswell, 3 times is fine and i was told that it is better to under feed than overfeed.

U can increase the portions a little bit, when u feel that ur puppy needs more! freddie is only feed twice a day now and he let us know that he didn't need all the feeds!

Barbara Nixon
14th March 2007, 01:41 PM
All mine, except for Teddy, who would eat all day, if given the chance, have 'told' me when they want fewer meals by leaving that meal or appearing unenthusiastic about it. The first to go was the latest one (good because it can cut the need for night time toilet), followed by one of the middle ones. I kept breakfast and an evening meal until last, as mine seem to prefer evening feeding to lunchtime.

Cathy Moon
14th March 2007, 10:42 PM
I would offer her 1/3 to 1/2 cup per feeding. Her appetite may vary. She is so young and has many growth spurts ahead of her; proper nutrition is important. :wggle: Everytime she goes to the vets, you might want to ask if she is a healthy weight. :)

maggeroni and cheese
15th March 2007, 04:51 PM
Hi !
The puppy store started us on Royal Canin puppy but it costs a fortune.....$15.00 for a small bag. I am trying to switch her to something less expensive, not that she isn't worth it but is it really worth it to spend money on dog food ????

Mom_of_2_Cavies
15th March 2007, 08:29 PM
Just my two cents, but I believe that it's well worth the investment to offer the highest quality food you can afford. I think that for dogs (even more so than people because their lives are so short) "they are what they eat," and need whatever protection you can offer them against illness via the best possible diet that meets their particular needs.

As I said, JMHO!

All of that said, though, there are a lot of good quality foods out there to choose from, and you might find something else a bit less expensive that would be just as good. Depending on what size the "small" bag is, $15 does sound high (but I've never bought Royal Canin...I'm currently trying a brand called Innova, which costs $12.99 for a 6.6 lb bag at a small pet shop).

Justine
15th March 2007, 10:34 PM
take the puppy get her weighed then get the royal can.measuring cup from the food supplier or the vets you can then give her the correct amount from the cup.alfs loves it and looks great on it.

Harley & Carley
15th March 2007, 10:50 PM
is there a different way of measuring than using just a kitchen measuring cup?

Cleo's Person
16th March 2007, 02:34 PM
We feed Cleo Hills Science Plan, but I've seen the Royal Canin in the shop. When you buy it, there is a measuring cup you get for free. The place I buy Cleo's food has a weighing scales there, so I pop her on that, then I know her current wieght and feed her according to the rewcommended amount as indicated on the bag. Only I feed half the amount, twice a day, so that she has more than one meal to look forward to. It's so easy, and she certainly seems to thrive on the stuff.

I know it's a more expensive than other brands, but I feel and, this is just my opinion so please feel free to disagree, that it makes all the difference. When Cleo was so sick, after the spay and everyhting which happened afterwards, the vet attributed her speedy recovery to the fact that she was just so healthy as a result of being on good qaulity food. In my opinion, it is worth the extra expense.

Pavane
16th March 2007, 03:04 PM
Barkleigh isn't much interested in food. He does like Royal Canin, but not daily. What we've done...and maybe others disagree--is to actually offer a mix of foods even in the same bowl. His favorite thing is to put it in one of those feed balls and he loves to play with it and eat whatever kibble falls out. The little Royal Canin's work well in the ball and he loves it. He eats so little that I don't care about the price. However, he is gaining well and super healthy and hearty and all systems are go...so....I mix and match.

Harley & Carley
16th March 2007, 05:20 PM
I bought my RC at petco and it didnt come with a measuring cup

Cleo's Person
16th March 2007, 05:31 PM
Really?! But there definitely is a RC measuring cup with different coloured lines for the different products. They certainly give them away at the shop in Cork, Ireland (which is perhaps a triffle inconvenient for you :sl*p: ) Maybe you could go online to the manufacturers site and ask them to send you one?

Or if you really want one, I'm at the shop over the weekend anyway, so pm me and I'll post one to you from here.

maggeroni and cheese
17th March 2007, 06:50 PM
Hurray ! I found the RC food much, much cheaper at a local pet supply store...........Maggie loves the stuff so I guess we'll just stick with it........Kind of glad we're on that right now especially with the massive dog food recall going on right now !!! :)

Cathy Moon
17th March 2007, 10:10 PM
is there a different way of measuring than using just a kitchen measuring cup?
I just use a kitchen measuring cup.

Funny, I didn't know that RC has a special cup?!