PDA

View Full Version : Different sizes of Cavaliers.

Tammy
15th March 2007, 01:31 PM
Hi,

I have a smaller cavalier a little over 13lbs. I am finding most of the cavaliers in my area are MUCH bigger. How big are your cavs and is there size differences regionally or do cavs in certain countries tend to be
larger or smaller?
Thanks, Tammy

WoodHaven
15th March 2007, 01:33 PM
My smallest female is a 12 pounder-- my largest female is 16 pounds.. My smallest male is 15 pounds-- my largest male is 19.4 pounds. Most are related-- some are neutered

ppotterfield
15th March 2007, 01:44 PM
The standard in the United States is 13 to 18 lbs. I think in the United Kingdom it may be 12 to 18 lbs. (Someone correct me if I am wrong.) Our Buddy is over-sized by 15% at 21 lbs. which is a very good weight for him; we can see a definite waist, can feel his ribs but not see them, etc. :thmbsup: I would be interested in hearing from the breeders on the board how frequently they have puppies who are either above or below the standard and at what age they can predict with some certainty the size the puppy will be as an adult.

moniechris
15th March 2007, 01:57 PM
My cavies are all over the board when it comes to size. Zoey is almost 5 months old and weighs 8 pounds (she will most likely be 12-13 fully grown) and Wesley and Cody are wooly mammoths at 22 pounds. They are all leg and very fit, so the weight isn't as much a factor for them as height. They are well beyond the standard, but its just more for me to love :D

Barbara Nixon
15th March 2007, 02:11 PM
Three of mine , all male,are around 22lbs, but Monty is over 30lbs. He's skinny, but is a very large framed dog.

Monty

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/BarbaraNixon/003montyp.jpg

matties mum
15th March 2007, 02:13 PM
Well I have 2 cavaliers one is very big Barney
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l280/mattiesmum2/PA313696.jpg
The other is Sam who is not so big
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l280/mattiesmum2/PA313693.jpg
Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney --Sam)

Kodee
15th March 2007, 02:38 PM
Well I have 2 cavaliers one is very big Barney
The other is Sam who is not so big
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l280/mattiesmum2/PA313693.jpg
Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney --Sam)
Oh I am eyeing that blanket in your backseat!! :D

Friday's Mommy
15th March 2007, 02:41 PM
Ours are very different in size too. Friday is 19.5 lbs., but she's on a diet and Wednesday is 13.2 lbs. which is perfect, she's much more petite in size. We always thought Friday was such a "little" dog until we got Wednesday, now Friday seems huge.

Mom_of_2_Cavies
15th March 2007, 03:40 PM
Our ruby male, Pepper, will be two in May and he weighs 20 pounds even. His sister who just turned one year weighs 18.8 pounds. Milly's not quite as big as Pepper but has his same overall physique, if you know what I mean. I think that Pepper probably has a pound of body weight on her because of his extra size, and the rest is his fur. His coat has really filled out in the last four months or so. Milly's is still growing in.

I actually I asked the vet if I was underfeeding either of them, especially Pepper, because when you feel his body you can definitely feel his ribs and find his waist. I worried he was a bit too "bone-y." The vet said he's in perfect shape--with well toned muscles and excellent weight for his size--so that was a relief.

I was just trying to see how tall Pepper is "at the withers" but every time I held the tape up to him he'd sit down...but he's somewhere between 12 and 13 inches to the shoulder. Milly's about an inch shorter. She may yet do a tiny bit of growing.

Here's Pepper alone
http://star.walagata.com/w/greatthinks/Pepper2sm.JPG

And here's the two of them together; even though it's not the greatest lighting you can see their relative sizes.
http://star.walagata.com/w/greatthinks/Tug2smb.JPG

LauraD
15th March 2007, 04:08 PM
My guy is an even 20 pounds, but he is about 14 inches at the withers. So he is not a petite Cav. and definitely outside of standard weight and height. However, he has a definite waist and you can feel his ribs easily, so he's not overweight just larger framed. He was the biggest pup in his litter of 6 and he weighed 8 pounds when we got him at 10 1/2 weeks old!
But I think he looks great and I have had many comments from breeders that he looks in proportion regarding his height and weight. As long as I can pick him up and he can fit on my lap (well, sort of) I am happy! :D

Yvonne117
15th March 2007, 06:13 PM
My two are really different Alfie is 9 months and weighs 11lbs and Harvey at eighteen months is a huge 34 lbs. We are sure Harvey has some springer in him.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/183/422216340_d15c45bc47.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/163/385722606_c2d95d6769.jpg

Yvonne117
15th March 2007, 06:14 PM
Barbara forgot to say, how gorgeous is Monty.

Kodee
15th March 2007, 06:21 PM
Kodee is only 14 wks but looking at the various sizes of adult's here - I wonder about my baby!! She is on the thin side for an adult much let alone a puppy. She is now about 9-10 lbs on my scale and measured around 9-10 inches (ever try to measure a puppy at the withers when that tape looks like the best toy you've seen all day :lol: ) This seems rather on the large size for a 3.5 mth old - mind you she still looks so tiny. If I'm reading this right, I guess she is going to be on the large size. That throws me too, as her Mom is medium, her Dad small plus the fact she came from a large litter (6). If 6mths is half their growth, I'm gonna have one big cavalier!

Oh maybe a girlfriend for Alfie is in the making here! He's cute :flwr:

Mom_of_2_Cavies
15th March 2007, 06:42 PM
Pepper weighed about 12 pounds at six months, and at the time the vet said he was going to be "a big one," but he didn't double his weight...only made it to 20. Good thing, I say!

We didn't get Milly until she was ten months old, and looking back at her records, I see is that she weighed 15 lbs at 7-1/2 months, and she's up to almost 19 now (she's 12 months). But she's in no way too heavy for her size.

Julie S
15th March 2007, 06:48 PM
My two are really different Alfie is 9 months and weighs 11lbs and Harvey at eighteen months is a huge 34 lbs. We are sure Harvey has some springer in him.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/183/422216340_d15c45bc47.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/163/385722606_c2d95d6769.jpg

Harvey definitely has springer in him! And he's gorgeous! :) My two favorite dog breeds, mushed into one. ;)

moniechris
15th March 2007, 07:06 PM
Here are some pics of Cody to demonstrate what the definition of leggy is. He has long knobby legs like a colt and now that his frillies are coming in, he looks like an Elvis impersonator!! 8) :lol: They stick straight out!! If he were a smaller dog, his feathering would be GORGEOUS, but now he just looks silly. :roll: :D

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/moniechris/kisses003.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/moniechris/codyandzoey014.jpg

Barbara Nixon
15th March 2007, 07:14 PM
Harvey definitely has springer in him! And he's gorgeous! :) My two favorite dog breeds, mushed into one. ;)

Not necessarily. He could be pure cavalier, in as much as any breed is pure, because most involve a cross at some time in their history. Many of the nineteen fifties dogs were large and had longer muzzles. Their is dispute among people writing about the breed's origins , as to whether the cavalier came from breeding from only longer nosed Charlie stock or by outcrossing with other spaniels. Some of the older photos, such as in Margaret Workman's book, suggest the latter.

Monty's mum was large but typical cavalier . I didn't see his father, but his half brother, by this dog, was much smaller and , again, was typical cavalier. Monty has Rose Mullion of Ottermouth ( al arge dog from years back) on hs pedigree and this dog is on those of some other large dogs, whose owners I've communicated with.

Barbara Nixon
15th March 2007, 07:16 PM
Cody's leg feathers may develop. Monty's are 6" long.

*Pauline*
15th March 2007, 09:31 PM
Pat, a clean cream carpet and two dogs...something's not right here!!! icon_nwunsure :lol:

Mom_of_2_Cavies
15th March 2007, 09:43 PM
LOL, Pauline...it's amazing how kind the camera is to that carpet!!!!!!

ceedah
15th March 2007, 10:48 PM
Hmm... Vanity's 16 pounds last time I asked (I've been away at college), somewhat on the large side for a female, as I understand. She was almost 20 lbs for a while, but she was definitely overweight at that point and so we put her on a diet. Poor girl acts hungry all the time, but we want to keep her healthy, and she's definitely in better shape now.

Elude
15th March 2007, 11:49 PM
Kodee is only 14 wks but looking at the various sizes of adult's here - I wonder about my baby!! She is on the thin side for an adult much let alone a puppy. She is now about 9-10 lbs on my scale and measured around 9-10 inches

Zoey is also 14 and a half weeks and weighs in at almost 10lbs. Shes really leggy and growing like crazy. Her mom was 17lbs, and dad slightly smaller. She was one of two puppies and was always larger than her brother. It sounds like our girls are pretty much the same size!

Molly's mom
15th March 2007, 11:56 PM
Molly will be two next month and was just weighed in at 12.9 pounds.

Davy
16th March 2007, 01:31 AM
SiânE was just over 16 lbs when I took her on. Because of her illness I knew she was under weight but I didn’t realise how much. :?

She’s now a very healthy trim 26 lbs 8)

enchantingdragon
16th March 2007, 01:39 AM
Ellie is 7 months old and weighs about 14 lbs.

nursejess80
16th March 2007, 02:46 AM
I guess from reading all of this that my little Ruby will definitely be on the small side. At her 11 wk shots last week, she weighed 4 lb. 9 oz. She's very proportionate to her size, and our doc said she'd probably stay kind of petite. I think she's grown since her appointment, but I haven't weighed her again. I just didn't realize how big some of the Cavs can get!!

Kodee
16th March 2007, 02:47 AM
Zoey is also 14 and a half weeks and weighs in at almost 10lbs. Shes really leggy and growing like crazy. Her mom was 17lbs, and dad slightly smaller. She was one of two puppies and was always larger than her brother. It sounds like our girls are pretty much the same size!

Hey I never noticed another Ontario member was here! icon_welcome . Well they also have in common a love of socks and carrots. We just grow em bigger in Ontario! There is another member about from London too here sometimes.

Cathy Moon
16th March 2007, 03:26 AM
India weighs 17.6 lbs at age 3 1/2. Chocolate weighs 17.6 lbs at age 5. Geordie weighs 18.2 lbs at age 3 1/2.

Lisa_T
16th March 2007, 04:42 AM
I've no idea about their current weights, but Amber at 11 weeks was 4 and a half pounds.

Height wise at nearly 8 months she is around 12 inches at the shoulder. I'm hoping she'll stay at that, which would put in her the petite end of standard. She's in superb weight.

Holly is 11 inches at the shoulder, so shorter than breed standard. However, t's harder to judge her waist because she has a very stocky barrelly frame and a bit of loose skin around the back- but her bum is not exactly well padded, and she's light to lift. The vet told me last time that she didn't need to lose more weight, but I can't help wondering if she seemed skinny to him because he's used to seeing fat cavvies... Amber is much better proportioned, it has to be said, and she has beautiful movement and a well set head. Holly's neck is quite short- which makes her stocky looking, because when they're standing side by side there's very little difference in the height of their backs- its the neck that makes the difference. Odd, that.

Crittercall
16th March 2007, 05:54 AM
DEBBIE - I wanted that blanket but you saw it first! Sigh.

My girls are Mutt and Jeff. Wallis is a buxom 31.6#s, down from 34.8#s at the end of January. I don't know how tall she is - taller than some, shorter than others. I would guess a bit taller than standard. She has a most luxurious coat (except where they shaved her for the ultrasound) and long pretty ears that are bleached by the sun. Tibby is a little stick. She weighs 13.4#'s and is petite. She has skinny legs, thin fur, no fur on her tail (allergies). Much shorter than Wallis. But other than the colors their faces are so much alike - same facial expressions, same eyes, etc. I wouldn't trade 'em!

Bet
16th March 2007, 04:06 PM
This is not about Cavalier sizes ,but I do wonder if the head shape in some Cavaliers has altered .
many now seem to have a more rounded fore-head ,deeper stop ,than about 20 years ago ,when this alteration first appeared ,
SM appeared about the same time ,
A link or a co-incidence?
Bet

Heritage Cavaliers
16th March 2007, 05:26 PM
Head shape and SM is something I have also wondered about - but I have not been successful in finding any research linking the two.

My Tri boy is 14-15 lbs - but I would like him a little heavier ...
My BL girl is 12 lbs and she is at a very fit weight for her frame
My Tri girl is 18 lbs (she is very heavy muscled) and very fit. She is actually shorter than my boy by 1/2 inch.
My BL puppy girl - at 7 mon. is 10 lbs ...

I think 12-18 is about average - but I have seen some beautiful cavaliers that are larger. There is one that comes to the club meetings that is appox. 30 pounds and he is georgous !!

Linda'nQuincy
16th March 2007, 06:12 PM
Mr. Quincy who is almost a year old only weighs 11 pounds. However, he is an active little puppy, eats well, and looks like his weight is right on.

brandygirl
16th March 2007, 06:41 PM
Chelsea is 2 1/2 & just under 13lbs. When she gets a little porky pig she's just over 13lbs. So I guess she's just perfect in the high 12s. Around where I live the older Cavs are bigger & the newer ones are smaller.

Is it a trend? I don't know.

What I do know is that Chelsea - like me - lives to eat & Magic - like my husband - eats to live! Chelsea & I have to work a lot harder at keeping in shape. How about your Cavs. do they love their food too?

Flynn
16th March 2007, 06:58 PM
Flynn is quite a big dog, not fat but tall and big framed and he weighs 22lbs. The vet says that he is just right for his frame. :D

brandygirl
16th March 2007, 06:58 PM
so great to see so many rubies on this site. Round here Chelsea is the only one. Chelsea supposedly is a 'flawed' ruby for showing purposes as she has a little flash of white under her chin & on her chest. I think that's what makes her special - to me she's perfect. I'm not interested in showing my dogs anyway.

Is it common for rubies to have tiny patches of white in odd places?

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t40/eldoradoran/camouflagesquarechelseaforphotobuck.jpg

Crittercall
16th March 2007, 07:13 PM
Tibby has a white bib on her chest. And I think what I thought was the "milk mouth" that people have mentioned may actually be a bit of gray hair!

Heritage Cavaliers
16th March 2007, 08:48 PM
Here in my area - I have seen some of a trend towrds less reputable breeders breeding down the cavalier size - however, the dogs I see at shows and from established breeders are still around the 12-18 lbs range.

Bet
17th March 2007, 04:07 PM
There was mention in Clare Rusbridge's recent Thesis on SM in Cavaliers ,page 192, that there is to be Research to be carried out at Cambridge University ,England ,into how Miniaturisation and Brachiocephalicism alters caudal fossa dimensions,

This comparative Study involving many Dog Breeds with the aim of establishing (1) whether the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has a smaller caudal fossa volumn than dogs of a similar body weight and(2) if selecting for certain head shapes has a disproportional effects on certain skull bones compared to others

Bet

Cathy T
17th March 2007, 04:16 PM
Jake at 4 years old is 20 lbs and Shelby at 3 years old is 18 lbs. Shelby could stand to lose a little weight (maybe 1 - 1.5 lbs) and we're working on it. She's not nearly as active as Jake around the house, but she sure does trot along on her walks!! Jake is a perfect weight for his height. Side by side he is head and shoulders above Shelby.

When Linda's Quincy was over visiting I was noticing that he is just a tad shorter than Shelby but so much more slender. Of course, he's still a puppy at only a year old, but he is a petite little thing. So petite that my husband tried to hide him under his jacket and see if Linda would leave without him!! Didn't work though :D It will be interesting to see how he develops over the next six months or so.

I really noticed when both of mine started filling out and getting deeper chests. That really made a difference in their appearance.

Charleen
17th March 2007, 04:26 PM
Pippin is 26 pounds and 3.5 years old. He was bigger than his dad when Pip turned 1 year old.
Merry is 16.8 pounds at 2 years 9 months old.
Pippin & Merry have the same father and their mother's were sisters. Both the father and mothers came from England.

Luke is 18.9 pounds and 4.5 years old.
Jolly is 15 pounds & 9 months old on March 15th. Jolly is Luke's son.
The breeder that I got them from is from Pennsylvannia and she breeds with her Mom in Texas, so they do share their dogs.

They are all fit and trim, so the differences have to do with how big they grew.

brandygirl
17th March 2007, 07:17 PM
Charleen
I didn't notice your 4th Cavalier hidden on the left of your photo. How great it must be to have 4 Cavs. How many litters has Luke been the stud for?

Charleen
17th March 2007, 07:28 PM
Elaine,
I don't recall, but I don't think that many. I obtained Luke from the breeder last year and he was retired before he was 4 years old because he had low sperm count. He also couldn't do the job himself and the vet had to do it for him. :lol: He likes going to the vet's office.

He wasn't producing a lot of puppies, so the breeder was looking for the right home for him. That is where I came in. Once the breeder knew I could give him a good home with other cavaliers, she had him fixed and I picked him up. The funny thing is, when I got him she wasn't sure if he had successfully inpregnated Peppermint Patty or not.

The good news is that he had. She had 6 puppies! And Jolly was from his last litter. Luke's last hurrah!

brandygirl
17th March 2007, 08:24 PM
Way to go Luke! Got to love a woman with aname like Peppermint Pattie :badgrin:

Harry & Heidi's mom
17th March 2007, 08:51 PM
Ours are very different in size too. Friday is 19.5 lbs., but she's on a diet and Wednesday is 13.2 lbs. which is perfect, she's much more petite in size. We always thought Friday was such a "little" dog until we got Wednesday, now Friday seems huge.

Cool names, my daughter is asking when is monday arriving? such funky names i love it.

Harry is big he's about 22Lb and almost 2 so i'm hoping he's fully grown now

LilysAunt
18th March 2007, 01:17 AM
My "niece" Lily weighed in at 10lbs 8oz yesterday at the vet. Lily is 5 months & 1 week old. The breeder said that Lily's sister weighs 10lbs.

My sister and I are wondering at what age do Cavaliers stop growing? To us Lily is tiny, but then again I have basset hounds. Any dog under 65lbs looks small to me. :D :D :D :D

Nisha
18th March 2007, 04:31 AM
My boys are 1 year 4 months and weigh 12lbs...

Chardonnay
18th March 2007, 04:58 AM
We just picked up our new Cav this morning and she is 9 lbs at 8 1/2 months...She is quite petite. I don't know how much more she is going to grow but I'm hoping that it isn't that much cause she hates being anywhere else but in your arms!! What an absolute darling! I will post fresh photos when I download them.

Caraline
18th March 2007, 05:09 AM
I have a smaller cavalier a little over 13lbs. I am finding most of the cavaliers in my area are MUCH bigger.

Hi Tammy

Your little girl is within the American Kennel Club's breed standard in terms of her weight. Don't get too hooked up on the weight of other people's dogs as there are a lot of obese CKCS around.

From the American Kennel Club http://www.akc.org/breeds/cavalier_king_charles_spaniel/index.cfm

Size, Proportion, Substance

Size - Height 12 to 13 inches at the withers; weight proportionate to height, between 13 and 18 pounds. A small, well balanced dog within these weights is desirable, but these are ideal heights and weights and slight variations are permissible. Proportion - The body approaches squareness, yet if measured from point of shoulder to point of buttock, is slightly longer than the height at the withers. The height from the withers to the elbow is approximately equal to the height from the elbow to the ground. Substance - Bone moderate in proportion to size. Weedy and coarse specimens are to be equally penalized.

Karlin has also posted up the UK CKCS Club breed standard at http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1529

which states

WEIGHT & SIZE: Weight - twelve to eighteen pounds. A small well-balanced dog well within these weights desirable.

Tammy
19th March 2007, 12:44 AM
Thanks for all the input on sizes. I was starting to feel like I had the only small cav!

Super Princess
19th March 2007, 02:13 AM
My god, ij ust weighed ollie, hes 30 pounds..how embarrasing!!
hes a verry tubby dog..but we have him on diet food

lbyerline
19th March 2007, 05:31 AM
Great thread. People often think that my female is the puppy of my male because she appears much smaller.
Bl female 2 1/2 yrs old 13.5 lbs
B & W male 2 yrs 18 lbs

ferguson63901
19th March 2007, 01:15 PM
We just got Briar - he is 16 weeks and weighs 7.2 pounds. I am hoping that he stays in the 15 pound range! He loves to be cuddled, and is only active after his potty breaks.

I will HAVE to get a pic posted soon! He is Blenheim and white and the most adorable, laid back puppy I have ever had!! This is out first Cavalier.

babyC
26th March 2007, 05:53 AM
i have a small girl too.. almost 1 year now.. and only 10 lb :) but i'm so glad that she's tiny, makes it so easy for us to travel.. and suits the size of the apartment too.. everybody thinks that she's a puppy ! :lol:

nursejess80
26th March 2007, 05:05 PM
Ruby had her last set of puppy shots today, and she is up exactly 2 lbs. from her visit 3 weeks ago. She'll be 14 wks on Thursday, and she is now 6 lb. 9 oz. From the looks of it, she'll still be pretty petite despite such rapid weight gain. She's SOOO much longer and leggier than she was a few weeks ago, so she's not a fatty.

Gracie's Mommy
26th March 2007, 05:23 PM
Gracie is 21 weeks now and weighs 7.5 lbs. She hasn't gained any weight in the past 2-3 weeks, but is very leggy and LONG! I assume she'll be growing into those legs at some point, but I'd be surprised if she was ever over the 12-13 pound range. Who knows, though...she likes to keep us in suspense! :lol: