• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Different sizes of Cavaliers.

Tammy

Hi,

I have a smaller cavalier a little over 13lbs. I am finding most of the cavaliers in my area are MUCH bigger. How big are your cavs and is there size differences regionally or do cavs in certain countries tend to be
larger or smaller?
Thanks, Tammy

My smallest female is a 12 pounder-- my largest female is 16 pounds.. My smallest male is 15 pounds-- my largest male is 19.4 pounds. Most are related-- some are neutered

The standard in the United States is 13 to 18 lbs. I think in the United Kingdom it may be 12 to 18 lbs. (Someone correct me if I am wrong.) Our Buddy is over-sized by 15% at 21 lbs. which is a very good weight for him; we can see a definite waist, can feel his ribs but not see them, etc. (y) I would be interested in hearing from the breeders on the board how frequently they have puppies who are either above or below the standard and at what age they can predict with some certainty the size the puppy will be as an adult.

My cavies are all over the board when it comes to size. Zoey is almost 5 months old and weighs 8 pounds (she will most likely be 12-13 fully grown) and Wesley and Cody are wooly mammoths at 22 pounds. They are all leg and very fit, so the weight isn't as much a factor for them as height. They are well beyond the standard, but its just more for me to love :D

Three of mine , all male,are around 22lbs, but Monty is over 30lbs. He's skinny, but is a very large framed dog.

Monty

003montyp.jpg

Well I have 2 cavaliers one is very big Barney
PA313696.jpg

The other is Sam who is not so big
PA313693.jpg

Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney --Sam)

matties mum said:
Well I have 2 cavaliers one is very big Barney
The other is Sam who is not so big
PA313693.jpg

Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney --Sam)
Oh I am eyeing that blanket in your backseat!! :D

Ours are very different in size too. Friday is 19.5 lbs., but she's on a diet and Wednesday is 13.2 lbs. which is perfect, she's much more petite in size. We always thought Friday was such a "little" dog until we got Wednesday, now Friday seems huge.

Our ruby male, Pepper, will be two in May and he weighs 20 pounds even. His sister who just turned one year weighs 18.8 pounds. Milly's not quite as big as Pepper but has his same overall physique, if you know what I mean. I think that Pepper probably has a pound of body weight on her because of his extra size, and the rest is his fur. His coat has really filled out in the last four months or so. Milly's is still growing in.

I actually I asked the vet if I was underfeeding either of them, especially Pepper, because when you feel his body you can definitely feel his ribs and find his waist. I worried he was a bit too "bone-y." The vet said he's in perfect shape--with well toned muscles and excellent weight for his size--so that was a relief.

I was just trying to see how tall Pepper is "at the withers" but every time I held the tape up to him he'd sit down...but he's somewhere between 12 and 13 inches to the shoulder. Milly's about an inch shorter. She may yet do a tiny bit of growing.

Here's Pepper alone
Pepper2sm.JPG

And here's the two of them together; even though it's not the greatest lighting you can see their relative sizes.
Tug2smb.JPG

My guy is an even 20 pounds, but he is about 14 inches at the withers. So he is not a petite Cav. and definitely outside of standard weight and height. However, he has a definite waist and you can feel his ribs easily, so he's not overweight just larger framed. He was the biggest pup in his litter of 6 and he weighed 8 pounds when we got him at 10 1/2 weeks old!
But I think he looks great and I have had many comments from breeders that he looks in proportion regarding his height and weight. As long as I can pick him up and he can fit on my lap (well, sort of) I am happy! :D

My two are really different Alfie is 9 months and weighs 11lbs and Harvey at eighteen months is a huge 34 lbs. We are sure Harvey has some springer in him.
422216340_d15c45bc47.jpg

385722606_c2d95d6769.jpg

Kodee is only 14 wks but looking at the various sizes of adult's here - I wonder about my baby!! She is on the thin side for an adult much let alone a puppy. She is now about 9-10 lbs on my scale and measured around 9-10 inches (ever try to measure a puppy at the withers when that tape looks like the best toy you've seen all day :lol: ) This seems rather on the large size for a 3.5 mth old - mind you she still looks so tiny. If I'm reading this right, I guess she is going to be on the large size. That throws me too, as her Mom is medium, her Dad small plus the fact she came from a large litter (6). If 6mths is half their growth, I'm gonna have one big cavalier!

Oh maybe a girlfriend for Alfie is in the making here! He's cute :flwr:

Pepper weighed about 12 pounds at six months, and at the time the vet said he was going to be "a big one," but he didn't double his weight...only made it to 20. Good thing, I say!

We didn't get Milly until she was ten months old, and looking back at her records, I see is that she weighed 15 lbs at 7-1/2 months, and she's up to almost 19 now (she's 12 months). But she's in no way too heavy for her size.

Yvonne117 said:
My two are really different Alfie is 9 months and weighs 11lbs and Harvey at eighteen months is a huge 34 lbs. We are sure Harvey has some springer in him.
422216340_d15c45bc47.jpg

385722606_c2d95d6769.jpg

Harvey definitely has springer in him! And he's gorgeous! :) My two favorite dog breeds, mushed into one. ;)

Here are some pics of Cody to demonstrate what the definition of leggy is. He has long knobby legs like a colt and now that his frillies are coming in, he looks like an Elvis impersonator!! 8) :lol: They stick straight out!! If he were a smaller dog, his feathering would be GORGEOUS, but now he just looks silly. :roll: :D

kisses003.jpg

codyandzoey014.jpg

Julie S said:
Harvey definitely has springer in him! And he's gorgeous! :) My two favorite dog breeds, mushed into one. ;)

Not necessarily. He could be pure cavalier, in as much as any breed is pure, because most involve a cross at some time in their history. Many of the nineteen fifties dogs were large and had longer muzzles. Their is dispute among people writing about the breed's origins , as to whether the cavalier came from breeding from only longer nosed Charlie stock or by outcrossing with other spaniels. Some of the older photos, such as in Margaret Workman's book, suggest the latter.

Monty's mum was large but typical cavalier . I didn't see his father, but his half brother, by this dog, was much smaller and , again, was typical cavalier. Monty has Rose Mullion of Ottermouth ( al arge dog from years back) on hs pedigree and this dog is on those of some other large dogs, whose owners I've communicated with.

Back