• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

lazer light game

angie

ok..i have heard a couple of you use these lazer lights and your little ones love chasing after them etc.........how ? i got one for jadan and he wont even look at it. he just watches my hand. how do you get them to chase the beem? my cat does it no problem but the dog just chases the cat and thats not supposed to happen :sl*p:

Many experienced dog folks say to never use these with a dog. First off if they look directly at the laser it can cause permanent eye and sight damage. Second, some dogs who do chase them become obsessed to the point of an obsessive compulsive disorder in snapping at and chasing any kind of reflection -- including running into traffic, staring at any kind of flickering light or reflection, etc.

IMHO I would use laser lights for giving talks to a group when they are useful as pointers -- but I would never risk eye damage or introducing obsessive habits with a dog. Several breeders on the L-list were discussing serious problems they ended up having with dogs who were introduced to chasing laser lights and these were some of the problems they mentioned.

Don't know if you have children - might want to make sure it's well out of their reach! As Karlin said, the laser is dangerous to the eyes. :yikes

I'd always heard it said too that laser lights should be kept away from children & pets because they can cause serious eye injury if looked directly at.

Definetely a big huge nooooooooooooooooooooooo.

We used a lazer light a few times with Darby about 6 months ago and he went nuts, it has taken all this time to calm him from getting obsessed over reflections like Karlin said.

Please do not encourage your dog to chase it. :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

i did know of the dangers on these lazer lights but as i had already read on this site that others had used them and found them quite entertaining i thought i might give it a try. obviously the saftey has to be thought of as with anything, and i would never let my kids near it. :flwr: my cat loves the lazer light, actually i got it wrong it isnt even a lazer light... :oops: just re read and it is a light beam....derrrrrrrrrr!!!!! even so does the same thing. she loves chasing it up the walls. jadan is still unfased by it though. still curious as to others have their dogs chase it. :flwr:

I wonder if we have a different type of laser light because our vet gave us one at our first visit with no warning!!!!

At first Padden wasn't really interested and now she does what I call her 'laps'. She sprints up and down the hallway chasing after the light. I just flash it down the hall a bit and she takes off for it and will flip around a sprint back the other way. She even does it now without the light. It's been a great way to burn off a little energy when its crappy weather outside. I only let her do it for a few minutes. If we take the light into our condo she will occasionally pounce on it but she would rather be racing it in the hallway. But she's not obsessed with it just enjoys it when I bring it out.

ok ok stop showing off!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

maybe some just get it and others dont, i even got him some bacon flavour bubbles to chase after but he just cowers behind me with those :sl*p:

a lady the park told me that her daughters dog chases after a torch light but it got so obsessed that when they were out and the sun shone into her kitchen where her dog was kept that he dug a whole into her lino trying to get at the light reflection :oops: :oops:

like you i just wanted a fun way of getting j to chase after something...i think i have found it but its a bit noisy...we got out my kids old skittle game for my young nephew and the ball rattles as it rolls. its very hard and only has the small finger holes so j has to be clever to pick it up as it just gets away from him, his mouth is too small to get around it....he has gone mad for this so it will do for now. ;)

Back