• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Heavy Breathing through the nose

paulio99

Hi,

My 10 month old has woken up every night (about 9pm) for the last three nights breathing extremly heavy through his nose.
In no way is he distressed but it seems very odd.
Its like when a human consistantly just breathes through their nose, without taking a breath inwards.

I think I may take him to the vets for a check up.

Any other dogs have this ?

It is hard to guess as people can have different views of what is odd breathing. A lot of times mine will breath heavily if they are dreaming. But cavaliers also do the 'cavalier snort' where they sound like they are gasping. And there are also cases where this becomes quite extreme and they actually are unable to breathe properly as their airways are obstructed; this can require surgery. The latter two issues are caused by the dog being abnormally short-faced (brachycephalic). If you wake up the dog and it stops it probably isn't a problem. If it doesn't stop and it isn't the 'snort' (usually you can halt this easily by gently covring the dog's nose with your thumb and gently tilting its head downwards for a few moments) then yes, I'd definitely talk to a vet.

Hi Paulio,
I see from another thread your pup likes to bring worms in the house, if this also includes slugs/snails then please suggest lungworn to your vets. My George was breathing heavily and rapidly especially at night with this. If you've also noticed your pup coughing (even occasionally) as though there's something stuck in the throat or any other symptoms in my Lungworm thread in this section please take him to the vets. I have heard of three Cav pups this year in England/Wales lost to lungworm (mine included) all under 11 months and known to eat wriggly things in the garden (it is transmitted by slugs & snails). A treatment for lungworm won't harm him but may save him if this is what it is. Many vets miss it so do ask.

That reminds me that I have some of your lungworm info to add to the health section. (y) I am so behind on everything to do with this site at the moment...!

Thanks Karlin, we're hearing of more and more lungworm deaths especially in Cav puppies. I think some stuff in the health section will be a blessing :flwr:

Marlon is off to the vets today, he had another heavy breathing fit last night.

I will give you an update laters

Hello Everyone,

Good news on little Marlon.
The vet checked him over and she said nothing to worry about

Seems he has a heavy case of reverse sneezing !

She also said that if I was worried about Lung Worm I should give him a course of panacur, but in my area is pretty much unheard of.

The poor fella though did have his anal gland milked, which he hated !
My vet said that even if Marlon has good solid poo's he may still need it milked every now and again.

Also good news that th Vet said he had a lovely strong heart.

So really worth a visit.

Back