PDA

View Full Version : Poochie Bells Training

casshon
16th March 2007, 11:26 AM
I got my poochie bells the other day and have just started using them this morning since I'm off work. I followed the instructions which say to ring the bells yourself everytime the dogs go out.

Bella is now going up to them and touching them with her nose every few minutes. I am praising her and letting her out (even though she doesnt need to go out). I'm not sure if she's touching the bells accidently/or through curiosity or whether she has already figured out that if she touches the bells she will get attention - what do you think?

Karlin
16th March 2007, 12:06 PM
Maybe a mix of both. Usually they go thru a phase of rining them a lot just to go out but eventually stop doing that and ring when they actually need to go out -- or so I have been told by those who trained in this way!

casshon
16th March 2007, 12:12 PM
She just rang them again! I think this time it was on purpose. I could see her sitting by the door and looking at the bells and looking at me but I ignored her and then she rang the bells to go out - what a clever girl!

I never thought the day would come when I would get excited about a dog ringing a bell :lol:

molly
16th March 2007, 06:16 PM
Our Casey as a pup used to ring the bells alot. It was a novelty for him once he realized he got us to open the door whenever he rang them. After a few days, he just rang them when he really needed to go out. Even the cat rings the bells to go out now. My DH and I are well trained. :badgrin: :badgrin:

Caraline
16th March 2007, 10:50 PM
I want some of these bells.... they sound great! :D

molly
17th March 2007, 01:34 AM
These are the ones we have. They are nicely made and ours are 2 yrs old and look new. http://www.poochie-pets.net/

But you can use any bells tied to cording. that works fine!

ann
24th March 2007, 05:35 PM
:D Just ordered the bells......wish me luck :lol:

laurenlyn1
24th March 2007, 07:42 PM
i use those with brady. before he used to bang on the blinds that hung on the door. now he uses the bells, and if he really needs to go he does a combination of both. i had no problem training him at all since he already "rung" the blinds. he just went right in and started to use the bells the day i hung them. it really is helpful because i can hear them from upstairs, whereas i couldn't hear the blinds.

Caraline
25th March 2007, 12:15 AM
Well so far, I am really well trained. I ring the bell every time I need to go out. icon_whistling Guess I need to take a look at that training video again.

Barb B
25th March 2007, 05:10 AM
Like Caraline, I have become very well trained at ringing the bells. So Star doesn't seem to think it is necessary for her to do anything about them... :roll:

Claire L
25th March 2007, 10:18 AM
Caraline wrote:

Well so far, I am really well trained. I ring the bell every time I need to go out. Guess I need to take a look at that training video again.

cl*p :rotfl: :rotfl: cl*p Thank God it's not just me then!!!!!!
My two sit and wait for me to ring the bells and then let them out :lol: :lol: :lol: We will have to start over again :rotfl:
this is soooo funny :lol:

Caraline
25th March 2007, 10:57 AM
Well I got very excited tonight because Beau peed on the floor & then went and rang the bell :lol: I rewarded him of course. Yeah, better go watch the video again.

casshon
25th March 2007, 03:14 PM
:lol: :lol:

Molly is the same - she totally has not got the idea and looks at me like I'm crazy when I ask her to ring the bell!

Bella is quite good - she has rang the bell of her own accord quite a few times and I say "Bella ring" when I'm putting them out and she does, so thats a start.

Although, Molly just peed in the hall (5 minutes after she was just out :roll: ) so there's still a lot of work to do.

TKC
25th March 2007, 03:39 PM
Zak touches the bell with his nose and I can hear a little tinkle ... So I am at the stage where I need him to ring them a little more so I can hear them better ...

Beau tells Zak to ring the bell for her being the little madam that she is ..... :lol:

ann
29th March 2007, 09:31 AM
My bells arrived this morning :) Ellie is jumping at them and growling, then backing away putting her legs on the floor, bum in the air and barking :) , she does this if I do anything new in the house ( even a bunch of flowers or a new ornemant gets her going ) ;)
So now the fun begins :lol:
I just told hubby, that he has to say ' wee wee Ellie ring the bells'' when we thinks she wants to wee.....The look on his face was priceless :jump:
So watch this space :)
The bells are very well made, am pleased with them......Now I just need to find a way to stop Ellie barking at them :sl*p:

molly
29th March 2007, 04:42 PM
You can always take the bells off the door and hold them for her to sniff and touch to show her there is nothing to be afraid of. Anything different in our house gets ours barking. Yesterday, the box on the floor from UPS might have been trying to kill us so they let us know! :badgrin:

You can put alittle peanut butter or cream cheese on the bells to get her to lick them and move them so they ring. She'll get it.

ann
29th March 2007, 07:01 PM
:shock: I dont want to get too excited....but earlier Ellie was asleep on my knee, and when I put her down, she ran straight to the kitchen and jumped at the bells....I let her out and she ran to the bottom of the garden and did a poo cl*p ........Keep watching this space ;)

molly
29th March 2007, 07:05 PM
Yeah! Good job Elle.

Moviedust
29th March 2007, 07:08 PM
We trained Cedar to use the bell (it was a 'ring for service' type). If they get over the "ring the bell every two seconds phase" we didnt have the stamina for it! Cedar would live out in the garden if we let her; she ALWAYS wants to go out. She'd ring the bell, go out, then come back in. She'd get bored and in two seconds ring the bell again.

It got to the point where I'd ignore the bell the first time she rang it. So she'd ring it again--harder--and then come stare at me. If I ignored her again, she'd ring the bell and then bark. She rang the bell with her paw, so it looked like she was a cranky hotel customer not getting service!

We put the bell away. Now she just barks.

Spencer'sMom
29th March 2007, 07:37 PM
I've been trying for two weeks and Spencer just isn't getting it. And my cats are scared to death of the bells. Spencer never has accidents in the house but I am getting really tired of trying to read his mind as to when he needs to go out. I haven't watched the video but have followed the set of instructions that came with the bells to the letter. I was so hoping this would work that I bought two sets of extra ribbon so I'd have some variety. :x

ann
30th March 2007, 02:32 PM
I am pleased with Ellie's progress so far. She rang the bells again this morning and went straight out and did a wee....
The hardest part is getting hubby to say' wee wee ring the bell' when Ellie is just sitting near the door :roll: I think he feels a bit silly :D .....so I am training both of them at the moment :xfngr: :sl*p:

ann
30th March 2007, 02:33 PM
I am pleased with Ellie's progress so far. She rang the bells again this morning and went straight out and did a wee....
The hardest part is getting hubby to say' wee wee ring the bell' when Ellie is just sitting near the door :roll: I think he feels a bit silly :D .....so I am training both of them at the moment :xfngr: :sl*p:

Barb B
30th March 2007, 02:55 PM
Star has only rung the bells on our two nicest days of the year. Both times, we had been outside for a l-o-n-g time. Five minutes after coming inside, she thought it would be nice to go out again, so she rang the bells... :sl*p:

Otherwise, she continues to look at me as if to say, "Are we going outside, or are you just going to stand there playing with the bells??"

casshon
30th March 2007, 03:13 PM
Otherwise, she continues to look at me as if to say, "Are we going outside, or are you just going to stand there playing with the bells??"

Their expressions are priceless!

Molly is finally getting the idea that she has to nudge the bells to get a treat. I still have to hold them right in front of her but it's progress. Bella will ring on command and occasionally rings to go out. She also rings the bell when she has just come back in and seems very surprised when I open the door and make her go back out ( :lol: ) - neither of them really enjoy being outside that much (I'm hoping that will change when the weather gets warmer), so I'm guessing she still hasn't fully made the connection with ringing the bells and going outside.

Molly also asked to go outside last night (only the second time she's ever done this). I was watching TV and she started running up beside me and then back to the door. I am so glad they are both making progress with their house training :p

TKC
31st March 2007, 08:11 PM
Can anyone who ordered bells from us please let me know when they receive them.

Some of you guys from the USA ordered and I let you know when they shipped so please let me know when they arrive :D

Thanks,
T

ann
2nd April 2007, 11:41 AM
Ellie will ring the bells on command, and she is ( most of the time) ringing them when she needs to go out :luv: I am so proud of her, I didnt expect her to pick it up so quickly. The bells only arrived last Thursday :thmbsup:
I wish she would learn how to stop jumping up at people as quickly :?

Lani
2nd April 2007, 11:49 AM
I think persistance is the key. Lucky sometimes rings them just because it is a nice day out, but he lets me know if he REALLY needs to go out.

This morning he had diarrhea (poor baby :( ) and he was ringing them like crazy. It took him a while to use them consistently and sometimes he'll still just sit patiently for me by the door, but if he really really needs to go out he knows what they are for. :) (hopefully he feels better soon ... I've got a feeling those bells could be ringing a LOT today ...)

ann
16th April 2007, 04:29 PM
Ellie has mastered the bells, and always rings them now....so they have been a total sucess .....She can be a very stuburn young lady and I find teaching her most things difficult ( pulling on the lead grrrrrrr) but the bell training was easy for her to learn

Gracie's Mommy
16th April 2007, 04:37 PM
Those of you whose cavs are successfully ringing the bells, how long did it take you to get to that point? I think we've had them for about a month and she seems less interested now than she did in the beginning! I think she maybe a little scared of the sound...but, I also think she knows that I'm going to ring the bell anyway if she just sits there staring at it!!! :rolleyes:

What are we doing wrong?? Thanks!

Lani
16th April 2007, 04:39 PM
Is your husband saying "wee wee ring the bell"? :dogwlk:

FYI - I never said that and it was just me training Lucky. I just put a little treat behind the bell and that got him to ring it whenever I knew he needed to go out. Then took him straight out to do his business.

Now he rarely gets a treat - the treat is going outside - and he does it really well.

Gracie's Mommy
16th April 2007, 04:47 PM
Well, supposedly hubby is saying "Outside, RIng the bells," or at least "Ring the bells." Might need to follow up on that though!

The Poochie Bell instructions said to not use a treat, but I think we may be at the point that using a treat would be useful! I put pb on the bells at one point and that seemed to help, but not long-term. I put them on the floor for her to sniff/play with in the last week or so and she just barked at them!:confused:

ann
16th April 2007, 06:33 PM
We have only had the bells for two weeks. At first Ellie was scared of them, also we got sick of the noise every time we opened the door. So I put them on a hook next to the door....For the first few days when I thought Ellie wanted to go and wee, I told her wee wee and rang the bell for her and let her out. Then on about day four, we were sitting in the lounge, and she rang the bells herself to be let out. We were amazed. I think we have been very lucky......

mhabca
17th April 2007, 02:47 AM
I've just ordered some. Mika is starting to get the hang of house training. She is going to the front door most times now and scratching at it. Not always, but most of the time, which is really something. I'm not sure why she goes to the front door, since she has never gone in or out of it, but I'm not going to complain - at least she seems to be getting the hang of letting us know.

I ordered the bells, because while I love that she is letting us know, scratching at the door is not what I had in mind. I'm hoping that she will learn to ring rather than scratch.

We'll see!

casshon
17th April 2007, 08:17 AM
The Poochie Bell instructions said to not use a treat, but I think we may be at the point that using a treat would be useful!

I would definitely use a treat. I followed the poochie bells instructions and they don't work! I taught the touch command first with the bells in my hand and used a treat. I still give the girls a treat when they touch the bells. Bella will now ring on command but for Molly I hold the bells in front of her and she nudges it, sometimes I need to put the treat behind the bells for her to nudge (:rolleyes:). I don't know if Molly will ever actually use the bells she prefers the running up and down the room technique to get my attention!