• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Poochie Bells Training

casshon

I got my poochie bells the other day and have just started using them this morning since I'm off work. I followed the instructions which say to ring the bells yourself everytime the dogs go out.

Bella is now going up to them and touching them with her nose every few minutes. I am praising her and letting her out (even though she doesnt need to go out). I'm not sure if she's touching the bells accidently/or through curiosity or whether she has already figured out that if she touches the bells she will get attention - what do you think?

Maybe a mix of both. Usually they go thru a phase of rining them a lot just to go out but eventually stop doing that and ring when they actually need to go out -- or so I have been told by those who trained in this way!

She just rang them again! I think this time it was on purpose. I could see her sitting by the door and looking at the bells and looking at me but I ignored her and then she rang the bells to go out - what a clever girl!

I never thought the day would come when I would get excited about a dog ringing a bell :lol:

Our Casey as a pup used to ring the bells alot. It was a novelty for him once he realized he got us to open the door whenever he rang them. After a few days, he just rang them when he really needed to go out. Even the cat rings the bells to go out now. My DH and I are well trained. :badgrin: :badgrin:

i use those with brady. before he used to bang on the blinds that hung on the door. now he uses the bells, and if he really needs to go he does a combination of both. i had no problem training him at all since he already "rung" the blinds. he just went right in and started to use the bells the day i hung them. it really is helpful because i can hear them from upstairs, whereas i couldn't hear the blinds.

Well so far, I am really well trained. I ring the bell every time I need to go out. icon_whistling Guess I need to take a look at that training video again.

Like Caraline, I have become very well trained at ringing the bells. So Star doesn't seem to think it is necessary for her to do anything about them... :roll:

Caraline wrote:
Well so far, I am really well trained. I ring the bell every time I need to go out. Guess I need to take a look at that training video again.

cl*p :rotfl: :rotfl: cl*p Thank God it's not just me then!!!!!!
My two sit and wait for me to ring the bells and then let them out :lol: :lol: :lol: We will have to start over again :rotfl:
this is soooo funny :lol:

Well I got very excited tonight because Beau peed on the floor & then went and rang the bell :lol: I rewarded him of course. Yeah, better go watch the video again.

:lol: :lol:

Molly is the same - she totally has not got the idea and looks at me like I'm crazy when I ask her to ring the bell!

Bella is quite good - she has rang the bell of her own accord quite a few times and I say "Bella ring" when I'm putting them out and she does, so thats a start.

Although, Molly just peed in the hall (5 minutes after she was just out :roll: ) so there's still a lot of work to do.

Zak touches the bell with his nose and I can hear a little tinkle ... So I am at the stage where I need him to ring them a little more so I can hear them better ...

Beau tells Zak to ring the bell for her being the little madam that she is ..... :lol:

My bells arrived this morning :) Ellie is jumping at them and growling, then backing away putting her legs on the floor, bum in the air and barking :) , she does this if I do anything new in the house ( even a bunch of flowers or a new ornemant gets her going ) ;)
So now the fun begins :lol:
I just told hubby, that he has to say ' wee wee Ellie ring the bells'' when we thinks she wants to wee.....The look on his face was priceless :jump:
So watch this space :)
The bells are very well made, am pleased with them......Now I just need to find a way to stop Ellie barking at them :sl*p:

You can always take the bells off the door and hold them for her to sniff and touch to show her there is nothing to be afraid of. Anything different in our house gets ours barking. Yesterday, the box on the floor from UPS might have been trying to kill us so they let us know! :badgrin:

You can put alittle peanut butter or cream cheese on the bells to get her to lick them and move them so they ring. She'll get it.

:shock: I dont want to get too excited....but earlier Ellie was asleep on my knee, and when I put her down, she ran straight to the kitchen and jumped at the bells....I let her out and she ran to the bottom of the garden and did a poo cl*p ........Keep watching this space ;)

We trained Cedar to use the bell (it was a 'ring for service' type). If they get over the "ring the bell every two seconds phase" we didnt have the stamina for it! Cedar would live out in the garden if we let her; she ALWAYS wants to go out. She'd ring the bell, go out, then come back in. She'd get bored and in two seconds ring the bell again.

It got to the point where I'd ignore the bell the first time she rang it. So she'd ring it again--harder--and then come stare at me. If I ignored her again, she'd ring the bell and then bark. She rang the bell with her paw, so it looked like she was a cranky hotel customer not getting service!

We put the bell away. Now she just barks.

I've been trying for two weeks and Spencer just isn't getting it. And my cats are scared to death of the bells. Spencer never has accidents in the house but I am getting really tired of trying to read his mind as to when he needs to go out. I haven't watched the video but have followed the set of instructions that came with the bells to the letter. I was so hoping this would work that I bought two sets of extra ribbon so I'd have some variety. :x

Back