View Full Version : The Latest on Wallis

16th March 2007, 07:05 PM
After a couple of phone calls (and pitching one small hissy fit) I finally got the results from the specialist. I had been promised these results last week so this past Monday I started bugging them.

Wallis's lymph nodes are normal - no cancer there! According to their lab her platelet count was 6000, which is terribly low. The specialist wanted to do another CBC and have a pathologist look at it then, depending on the results, start her on a large dosage that would basically kill her immune system.

According to the regular vet, the lab work on the blood he took last Friday showed her platelet count to be 86,000. I think this shows that somebody's machine is way off and/or not hand counting to acknowledge the large platelets. Her platelets are functioning normally and her clotting time was normal. Her coagulation profile was also normal. He is still waiting for the results of the ehrlicia test. If it is positive we will treat with antibiotics, if not - ???

The only way to get a really accurate view of the platelets is through a bone marrow test, which I'm reluctant to put her through. That would show us whether she is just not making enough platelets or if the are being consumed somewhere in her body. He suggested another CBC after we get the results and said he would send the blood to the head of Hemotology at the University of Florida.

Bubba and I had already talked long and hard and Dr. P agreed that putting Wallis through more testing isn't necessarily the right thing to do. With a younger dog maybe, but given her age and the fact that she is acting fine, eating, drinking, and chasing lizards - if she only has a short time left why make it miserable. This decision is hard to make, but as long as I can keep my logical self thinking and push the emotional self down I know it is right.

The specialist seemed to have more of a gloom and doom attitude that Wallis could suddenly bleed out without any notice. This may be true; I know what to look for should it start to happen and will take all steps necessary to get her taken care of.

Again, not a decision made lightly (and not completely without tears at the oddest times), but the decision we are going to stay with. Wallis has given us so much love and fun all these years that it would be selfish to make however much time she has left miserable.

Thanks for being here with me. Will post another update when I get one.

matties mum
16th March 2007, 07:24 PM
I would do what you are doing there is no point in putting Wallis though any more test if she is still enjoying her life it is a hard decision to make lots of love and understanding coming your way please keeps us informed---Aileen and the gang (Jazzie----Barney---Sam)

16th March 2007, 07:49 PM
Whatever you decide, it will be the right thing. So glad Wallis is still a happy girl :hug: :flwr:

16th March 2007, 08:08 PM
...and pitching one small hissy fit).
That's me to a "T". Sent you a PM.

16th March 2007, 08:22 PM
Clear lymph nodes are really great news :thmbsup: You are right to give Wallis comfort Donna, bone marrow tests are unpleasant :( My George had a platelet count of 5 when they did his tests but the blood smear showed they were there in acceptable numbers, these giant platelets are causing real problems in determining the real platelet count in Cavaliers so a blood smear is really the way to go. If I had to put my money on the correct platelet count it would be the regular vets higher one. You could ask if their machines do a reticulated platelet count (or an immature platelet fraction as it's also called) this can differentiate between platelets not being made and platelets being destroyed after they are made, some analysers will do this test :flwr:

16th March 2007, 10:24 PM
I am glad there's no cancer but sorry you are still baffled by the problems she's having. It does sound like someone got one of those platelet counts wrong. I'd make just the decision you are making, too -- :flwr: .

16th March 2007, 10:31 PM
This must be so frustrating & upsetting for you, but yet it is good news that there is an all-clear re the cancer.

I would be doing exactly what you are doing.

I can not see the point in putting a dog through really nasty medical procedures for what may simply amount to an academic result.... ie make no difference to the dog's quality of life. I feel the same way about humans too.

Strength & blessings to you & Wallis.

Cathy T
16th March 2007, 10:40 PM
I'm behind you 100% on your decision. I think you've weighed the pros and the cons and come to the best decision. If she's happy and enjoying life...continue to enjoy it with her.

17th March 2007, 02:18 AM
Thanks - it's a comfort to know that I've got my friends here behind me!

Cathy Moon
17th March 2007, 12:22 PM
I'm sure I would make the same decision as you have. :hug:

Mabel's Mom
17th March 2007, 05:18 PM
I think you are making the right decision. Keep on chasing those lizards and enjoy as long as possible.

17th March 2007, 06:12 PM
I think you are making the right decision, let him enjoy every day. We
had a hard time with our 12 year old cocker spaniel, his white blood cell count kept dropping the vet said he didn't have long but I could get him
a bone marrow test to see exactly what he had but he don't think he would
live very long at that time . we just enjoyed everyday we had with him.
judy :( :( :(

17th March 2007, 06:46 PM
It is so hard in these circumstances to know what to do. Your decision makes a lot of sense. We are here for you and back you up all the way. Wallis sounds like a real love and of course you want to make her time with you pleasant and comfortable. Give her a :hug: from me.

17th March 2007, 10:29 PM
:hug: 's Donna, you're giving Wallis the best chance with all the love and care that she could wish for :flwr:

17th March 2007, 11:59 PM
:hug:'s to you all from me and the boys too. Donna, I don't think that Wallis could wish for better more loving parents and I too would just keep doing what you're doing. At her age, keeping her comfortable and letting her know how much she's loved is far more important than putting her through more tests :flwr:

18th March 2007, 12:55 AM
Now if we could keep Sasha (the shihtzu) from being so jealous we'd all be okay!! 8) She's the baby of the group and gets the stress vibe and knows that Wallis is getting more attention and it's almost more than she knows how to deal with.

18th March 2007, 02:30 AM
I think you are doing the best thing for Wallis. I'll be thinking of her and hoping she continues to enjoy life as much as she is now for as long as possible. :flwr: