• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

to mix or not to mix...i sooo confused!!!

angie

look .....im getting very confused and muddled :sl*p:

i have just decided that i am not going to add to jadans food and have changed his brand which he is doing nicely on ( well i think, its only day one but so far so good :p )
i am going to be very strict and take it up after 15 minutes ( huh! doesnt last 15 secs at the mo!)
but......well some of you keep your kibble as it is and thats what i had intended to do. but then some of you go and add bits and bobs to it and now i dont know if i am denying jadan yummy bits. the only thing i have to go on is that in the past when i have added to jadans food and even if i have kept changing it, he would end up picking things out or turning his nose up until something he did like came along. even after the 15 minute rule. yet you seem to have dogs that will just eat what ever is put in there bowls :? do you think i should just get used to the fact that he was spoiled so much in the past that now i am going to have to be cruel to be kind and just leave well alone. its not fair to read how you all add all this yummy stuff for your dogs but i know that if i do then i will just be setting mysef up for even more starving himself for better things :( :( i guess its because i know that he has loved having bits put in his food before that now i am not going to do it that i feel he will forever be looking for the extras he used to have........omg i think i have finally lost it!!!! :lpy: :lpy: :lpy: :lpy:

Just decide what you want to feed, give it to Jadan & then walk away for 15 - 20 minutes. Don't feel guilty about the decision you have made. Gosh, people worry more about what they feed their dogs than they do the human family.

If you do decide to just go straight kibble, then don't feel bad about it. If you decide you want to add other stuff, and Jadan picks it out, don't feel bad about that either. If she doesn't want to eat it, that is her choice and there is no point fretting about it.

You are the one in control not her and regardless of what she eats or doesn't eat she won't starve. The key to all of this is to stop fussing and care less

:flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

ok ok so i do get abit obssesive about feeding jadan its true...i think most of my postings have been about this one way or another. :D

i will take your advice and just lay off, maybe find myself another hobby to concentrate more on icon_whistling

you are right of course and i think just reading it out loud has made me realise just how bad i was getting with it.

feed him ....leave him........im such a big girls blouse i really am :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

I think it is sooo sweet Angie that you care so much that you are obsessing about Jadan's food. I too have been guilty of that ... but I think Caraline's advice is great & will make both you & Jadan happier in the end.

You because you get to relax & Jadan because either way he gets a well balanced diet and if you relax, he has a happy mommy too. :flwr:

thanks... i know i was becoming obsessive about his food. :? there are so many posts on this site that are about how and what we feed our babes that i keep going in to them and then thinking ooh should i be doing that or that etc. i must just find a feeding plan and just stick to it! :flwr:

so......... what can i get obsessed about next?!!!! :sl*p: :sl*p: :D hee hee hee

I think its the Cavalier not the owner in some cases. This breed can guilt trip an owner like no other. Every dog I have ever owned just ate what they were given. Its dinner time - gulp in one bite. This is the first dog I have had that sits and waits for some variety of topping. YUP she is on the thin side but offered a good kibble with 2tp canned 3x a day with some sort of fresh, healthy toppings and healthy training treats. Oh well Kodee I'm supposed to keep you a healthy weight so your antics help me acheive it better :lol:

I'm the same way Angie, so don't feel bad. I went thru the same thing with my boys, and they can still be pretty finnicky. But, in the end, they do end up eating, even tho they may go for a half a day, or even a day, without eating a whole lot. But, their weight does stay consistent, so I know that they are eating enough. I did, however, go thru a couple of brands of dog food that did cause Bentley some soft stools, so that didn't help either. But now I've found a food that they both like and the stools are looking good too. Hang in there, I know it is tough! A couple times a week I will add some canned dog food to their kibble (same brand, California Natural), my Poodle has trouble at times eating the hard kibble, and I also moisten it with water for him.
:flwr:

Kodee said:
I think its the Cavalier not the owner in some cases. This breed can guilt trip an owner like no other. Every dog I have ever owned just ate what they were given. Its dinner time - gulp in one bite.

Kodee, I think you are probably right. We only adopted our 2 yo Sonny a couple of months ago and his first week with us he just refused to eat anything except his chicken necks. I said to him "Listen mate, you are in a Boxer household & fussy eating is just not on & I'm not feeding you chicken necks every day". He though I was joking, but when I locked away the chicken necks he went on his hunger strike for the week.... and lost icon_whistling

Though he now eats pretty much what he is given, he will still occasionally go on strike for a day, usually after chicken neck day. The Boxers love it when he goes on strike, because they get to gobble up his dinner, while he looks at me with those eyes that say "how could you?"

When it comes to food, I am a heartless bitch :badgrin:

hey guys thanks for your postings :flwr:
but it wasnt that jadan wasnt eating his food, sorry if i didnt make that clear :oops: he has changed brands and eating well....i think that having the cat come along and having a couple of kibbles first makes him scoff the lot ;) its salmon flavoured and the cat cant resist, though i do make sure she only has one or two !! jadan has been eating his food for a good while now (touch wood) but i have have to stop adding all the nice bits too it as this would just start him off again on being picky, and i thought i was being selfish by not wanting to keep on and on changing it for him. i know some of you enjoy giving different things but i have come to realise that jadan just ends up eating around or not at all. so he has gone back to only having the extras after feeding time and this suits me as i dont feel he is missing out but at the same time he only gets it if he has eaten his kibble first. had no trouble changing over either as i have kept to 15 minute rule straight off and didnt mix with the old food either (someone else posted they did this and it sounded like a good idea to me) he will be as fussy as i let him and once i changed his brand and knew he was ok on it (none of the dreaded runny poos :yuk: ) then we started a new routine and are keeping to it............. icon_whistling icon_whistling :lol: well as long as the cat gets her look in first and gets jadans mouth watering ;)

Back