PDA

View Full Version : Celltei owners- Opinions Please!

Gracie's Mommy
17th March 2007, 05:02 PM
I'm pondering the purchase of a Celltei carrier to replace Gracie's original Sherpa that she has now outgrown. I need to choose one that will, preferably, work when she's full grown and definitely work as an aircraft carry-on. Primarily, though, it will be used for trips around town.

I am trying to decide between the Pet-on-the-Go and the Backpack-o-Pet. I know that a few of you have Pet-on-the-Go's...does anyone have a Backpack-o-Pet? What are your thoughts on size and ease of travel?

Thanks!

arasara
17th March 2007, 05:31 PM
hi gracie's mommy.

I have a medium potg and Kosmo barely fits in it. :( I am actually going to sell it when Faith outgrows it because I have a feeling she'll be bigger than him at maturity.

I was thinking about the back-pack-o-pet large because it seems like the biggest but I don't know which airline would accept that big of a bag..

I keep looking on sites and none I have seen thus far have those standards. :yikes

natalieandmike
17th March 2007, 07:17 PM
I have the large tote-o-pet. Celltei can actually make any of their models in a "custom" size large, but I preferred ordering one that I could return if necessary. All their custom sizes are non-returnable (but they will help you sell them if necessary). The only ones I see in a large though that are not custom orders are the tote-o-pet and the backpack-o-pet. I love all the features in the backpack-o-pet, but to be honest I never saw myself as much of a "backpack" type. I'm more, eh,,city girl. But I think that size-wise, if you want to be "sure" your cavalier won't outgrow it, I'd go for the large dimensions in any of the models. Bianca is 8 months old and she is already 17 inches long (though her breeder said she is a bit on the 'long' side). Just some information--hope it is helpful. -Natalie
PS oh yes Delta will accept those dimensions on most of its planes (the large dimensions)--we usually do fly them anyway.

natalieandmike
17th March 2007, 07:26 PM
ahh, I lied! I meant pak-o-pet. Not tote-o-pet. After looking at their website for so long, you'd think I could get it straight. The pak-o-pet and backpako pet come in large (as a standard size). Sorry, my bad! :sl*p: -Natalie

Cicero's Mummy
17th March 2007, 11:48 PM
I love my messenger sling style (camo with custom olive accents)... I foget what it is called... but I would HIGHLY recommend the backpac-o-pet! That is our next bag when Cicero outgrows the medium one (he is 3.5 months now and still fits it).

I LOVE MY CELLTIE!!

Gingers Mommy
18th March 2007, 12:24 AM
I just ordered the Large Pak-o-pet. Gingers rather long so the woman suggested that would be the right size. She said that Delta & Jet Blue have smaller dimension requirements than American, and thats what we usually fly so Im hoping we dont have a problem. I'll let you know in 4 weeks when I actually get it!!!

Cicero's Mummy
18th March 2007, 03:01 PM
it always can "squash" down... it is built for "squash" room if you need it... :)

aleethomas
18th March 2007, 09:40 PM
We have a large backpack-o-pet and LOVE IT. A medium would have fit her better right now but she would have out grown it soon. It's easy to carry around and she loves the little peep hole in the top! I would totally recommend one. We will be traveling with it in June so hopefully that goes well. It has an internal support structure that we may have to take out for the airplane so the bag can be condensed a little under the seat. But it's really easy to do that so we would take them out right before boarding the plane.

arasara
18th March 2007, 09:54 PM
What airlines would accept the large back-pack-o-pet? I am worried about getting to the airport and being in trouble if I had a large back-pack-o-pet

American AIrlines conforms to the large backpackopet except for it's 3 1/2 inches too tall :?

aleethomas
19th March 2007, 01:07 PM
The dimensions work for our Delta flight... I think it might be .5 inch off in one direction. But I don't think the height would be that big of a deal since the celltei can compress if you take out the inner support bars. The airline gave us 2 different dimensions. One set for a soft carrier and another for a hard carrier. They are off by a lot so it makes sense that they are expecting the soft carrier to compress underneath the seat.

We are going on a trip without the dog in a month so I'm planning on using the celltei as my carry on so I can see for myself how it fits.

You may want to call celltei as I'm sure they have more information on airline travel & what other people have done.

Gracie's Mommy
19th March 2007, 04:09 PM
I really appreciate everyone continued thoughts and experiences! I think I'm more interested in the backpack-o-pet, just not sure about the med or large.

I have mixed feelings about the airline cabin kennel requirements. There are maximum measurements for regular carry-ons, too. How often do you measure your duffle bag to make sure it fits under the seat? Furthermore, how often does a flight attendant actual pay attention to the size of your carry-on under the seat. As long as the length isn't obtrusive, it's rarely a problem.

That said, my concern is with the lenth of the backpack-o-pet rather than the height. I feel confident that it will smush enough to not be a problem, but the large backpack is 3" longer than the NWA length maximum (this is who we will usually be flying). I'm not sure if that would be an issue.

Then there's the max weight requirement. Honestly, I'm not worried about that much at all. With the lack of definite procedures I experienced on my NWA flights with Gracie, someone actually weighing the bag seems very unlikely. Has anyone else run into issues with the weight max?

natalieandmike
19th March 2007, 05:42 PM
Oh, Gracie's Mommy! I'm so glad you mentioned that you were going to fly NWA. They DO enforce the weight requirement...in fact, I called (because we were originally going to fly NWA instead of Delta) and they told me that they WEIGH the dog + carrier on check-in and it had to be 15 pounds or less or they'd make you put the dog beneath (and of course then you'd need a hard-sided carrier').. So be VERY careful with Northwest. I've found American, JetBlue, and Delta to be much more accommodating. You can see that a full-sized Cav + carrier might run into a problem with NWA. However, when you have questions, I'd call their "international "number first. The people are much more helpful and then they can give you the local NWA number for your local NWA location. Some locations are more "lenient" than others. I'm concerned because in Minneapolis and Detroit (hubs), they may not be as accommodating because of the sheer number of people getting through there. Our airport (Greensboro) is so po-dunk, I swear they remember me every time I fly! :roll: -Just fyi. Good luck, but be prepared!
-Natalie
PS I hope you have better luck with NWA than me. Both my brother and I , flying separately at separate times.. have had our luggage lost twice! And then one of the engines caught fire (after we landed, thank God). I swear I try to avoid them at all costs now!!

Cicero's Mummy
19th March 2007, 05:47 PM
I have traveled NWA with a friend and her dog and they didn't check a single thing. It must just depend on what day and who you get. She has a havanese that is pretty fluffy, so it looks pretty big and like it would weigh about 20lbs!

They didn't even check the dog's paperwork.

That was from CMH to SLC. On the way back, they didn't check either!

natalieandmike
19th March 2007, 05:49 PM
yeah, you really wonder if when you call, they just give you the "party line", but that is it, and it might put you in a bind...so...you just need to be prepared with a contingency plan....-Natalie

Gracie's Mommy
19th March 2007, 06:05 PM
Yep, that was pretty much my NWA experience, too. It was a bit alarming/surprsing, actually. But, this is part of the reason I'm less concerned about weight and measurements, I guess.