• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I need help please!!!!

Shay

Lily has just finished 2 weeks of her cycle last Wednesday. I was able to take off her sanitary panties and there is no spotting. Since taking off the panties last Wednesday, she is peeing all over my house. She does a little lift of her back foot and walks while peeing which leaves a pee trail and is hard to clean up. She will look right up at me and do this. This is a dog who has been going to the door for 3 months and has not had an accident in the house for well over 2 months. She does this same little walk pee outside and also squats every few feet at least 5 or 6 times. What is going on? Is this something to do with being in heat? Does she have a UTI? She also pooed in the house last night. It seems like every thing she has learned has been forgotten since she has been in heat. HELP!!! :bang:

I would have her checked for a UTI. Just being in heat should not have resulted in this. Sounds like she just can't help the urination. Please let us know how she's doing.

A UTI is possible, but when my MIL female goes into heat, she does this to intentionally spred her smell around. She will crab walk while she is peeing in all of the furthest parts of the yard like she is trying to attract a male (kind of like reverse marking, I guess). Does she seem uncomfortable or in pain? Is she drinking enough water?

First, put the pants back on.

Secondly, Monica is probably correct. Nature makes them want to "call the boys over", so to speak.

It might be part of the normal behaviour related to being in heat.

I know I was told to protect Mary Alice for a month, if she goes into heat.

Lily probably hasn't forgotten her house-training....just nature.

Good luck and please keep us informed...might need to know. :flwr: :flwr:

Crab walk.....that's the perfect words for it. That's exactly what she is doing. She is eating like a little pig and drinking fine. She doesn't seem to be feeling bad. Man oh man, I sure hope this doesn't last long. The worst part is forgetting all of her potty training. We have statred training again, but she is not even trying to go to the door. That's what made me think it may be a UTI. I'll give it a couple more days and see what's up by Monday. Thanks Molly and Monica.

It also could be a part of her new 'adult' behaviour -- much as boys start marking when the hormones kick in, females can also start marking and her hormones are clearly now working as she has gone thru heat. But two weeks isn;t long enough for her cycle to be done -- usually runs three weeks and most say assume four weeks to be safe.

You should check her for a UTI but this is may well be a new training issue for you, just as owners of boys often have to work to train them not to mark indoors.

Zippy said:
Secondly, Monica is probably correct. Nature makes them want to "call the boys over", so to speak.

I don't mind her calling the boys over in the yard, but not in my house :lol:. Hubby keeps saying that she wants a boyfriend, I keep telling him she is just a baby and couldn't possibly want a boyfriend. I know I'm wrong, but I just can't think about my little baby wanting a "friend". icon_blshing :lol:

Karlin said:
It also could be a part of her new 'adult' behaviour -- much as boys start marking when the hormones kick in, females can also start marking and her hormones are clearly now working as she has gone thru heat. , just as owners of boys often have to work to train them not to mark indoors.

Ahhh, my little girl is growing up, they sure grow up fast.

Shay,
We feel your pain. After having just got Bianca last Saturday, (she is almost 8 months) two days after we got her, she went into her first cycle/heat!! So, though we took her to the vet, we are putting off the spay for a little while. I am not using the "panties", but rather leaving towels all around our house. It's mainly hardwood and tile, so it isn't too difficult. She is learning "place" so that if/when she is sitting near us and spots, she stays on the towel. It is working out well, other than a small investment in the cotton towel industry!

We are generally lucky enough not to have had any trouble with her 'marking/dribbling' etc. urine yet in the house, but when we take her on her walks, she squats (eg. crab walk) and drips pee a bit every 1/2 block or so. A very similar behavior. Mike was thinking it likely had to do with her being in heat, rather than a UTI, because she is acting normal in every other way. Good luck with her cycle; I know we'd rather not have dealt with it, but it is what it is! thanks for writing in about this topic; we wanted to know about it as well...
-Natalie

I know nothing about dogs in heat (but hey you got good advice that makes sense to me from others) BUT I do know about carpet stains from crab walking peeing females!! Our lab in the last yr at 14 started having accidents in the house. She always crabbed walked if it happened. Probably because after 14 yrs she knew she shouldnt but being old just couldnt help it :( Anyhoo... your rugs... if the cycle is last as everyone here says more like 4 wks I would just spot clean for now. When you are sure its over I'd rent a rug cleaner to remove all of it. Obviously so you can retrain but moreso because of damage to carpet. I found the trail urinating impossible to get out. With a puddle your working on one spot but with a train it just seems to spread and about 2mths after you cleaned it the soap residue left behind starts binding with new dirt/dust bringing a slight shadow stain back up. After she died we totally cleaned the room with a cleaner and sprayed with a leave on enzyme cleaner from the renting place before Kodee got here. That time the stains were gone for good!

All I can say is THANK GOD I HAVE A BOY ! Sorry, I feel your pain ladies, I guess I will stop complaining about Tucker's little dribbles!

Natalie.....Hope all goes well for you with Bianca and her....errr....womanhood ;) . All I can say is I will be glad when this is over. I am glad to know what they are doing is normal.

Debbie.....I have been using miracle pet when she pee's. I hope that doesn't leave a soap residue, but I know what you mean about the residue. Everytime I have used a carpet cleaner, it looks clean and then the stain pops back up. Wish she would go on the tile or hard woods, but she always manages to pick the lightest rugs I have. I am so discouraged. Lily was doing so well, even whining at the door when I was in another room to let me know she had to go. This is a major setback. What is so weird is that she was fine up until I took off her pants. She was still letting me know she had to go for the first 2 weeks of her heat.

Joanne.....I have never owned a male dog, but right about now, I think it would be lovely :lol:

Hang in there Shay! From what everyone is saying it sounds like she's just not through her cycle yet. Frustrating though...I can imagine! Crab walk :lol: That's Shelby and she's spayed!! She does that on our walks...I've never heard it described that way...but it fits!!

Shay because Lily's so smart. It must be what monica and zippy said. Now that her panties are off (gosh this is beginning to sound like a frat party) she understands she's at last able to leave her calling card to potential mates.

Shay said:
I have been using miracle pet when she pee's. I hope that doesn't leave a soap residue
I think any rug cleaned by hand is going to leave a soap residue behind. I lived with leopard spot shadows when my kids were little and spilled everything everyday! But a good clean with a rental machine using a pre-spot cleaner once a yr eventually gets the shadows out. Maybe go back to the diapers for another 2 wks would reduce her accidents again until she is past the stage of wanting to mark? Either way, I feel for you! How do breeders live with this with lots of female dogs yr after yr? :sl*p:

Cathy......I know, Monica's "crab walk" was exactly what she does :lol:. It is the back paw kicked out while she is doing it that really cracks me up. Does Shelby do that too?

Joanne....I am now picturing a doggy frat party and :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:. Gonna have to put the panties back on!

yeah, Kodee, I know what you mean. When we told our breeder, she had a really good chuckle at our expense... :badgrin: -Natalie :sl*p:

Kodee said:
Maybe go back to the diapers for another 2 wks would reduce her accidents again until she is past the stage of wanting to mark?

Yep...Back to the panties. I feel so sorry for her though. She was soooooo happy to get them off. :(

Shay .. "Gonna have to put the panties back on!"
now it's starting to sound like a "Girls Gone Wild" video :badgrin:

Yep, get the chastity belt back out because her season is almost certainly not over :yikes

All of my girls used to go a bit ferral during their season, including cocking their legs like boys, jumping up and peeing on my bed (which they would never normally do), backing up to any males around, including human males.

So don't frett, just get those knickers back on her for a while longer. Some bitches hardly bleed at all during a season. One of my Boxers would only spot for about a week, and for the rest of her season we'd only know she was in season by her behaviour & the size of her vulva.

Back