• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I'm going on holiday.Dylan isn't coming :o( PICTURES ADDED

*Pauline*

Maybe this should be in the Dog and Bone but I'm putting it here because I want to mention this will be the first time I leave Dylan :? I am going to Ibiza with my friend Amanda and her Mum, brother and daughter. Her Mum has a time share there and all I have to pay for is my food and the flight, the flight is only with tax.

Dylan will be going to his breeder for the week. She does have kennels but the babies she keep in her house so that will be lovely for him. He doesn't have any play mates. He sees dogs at the puppy class and when I walk him but he doesn't get any off lead play with other dogs which I know is bad. I'm going to miss him so much. If anything was going to stop me going it was leaving him but I know he will have fun with his mum, dad and brother and sister. They all live in the house too.

These are pictures my friend took when they went before.

This is the view from the balcony.
424541995_8593c75cc8.jpg

And the beach.
424541979_f09b688b44.jpg
[/url]

Have a great time. I am facing the same thing in April. We are taking my hubby's kids on a spring break trip and I am sick about leaving Lily. My Mom said she would keep her, but Lily is a handful and I think it would be too much for my Mother for 4 days and she is legally blind as well. So taking her out at night would be hazardous for my Mom. I will have to leave her in the kennel and I am just sick about it.

You will have a great time knowing that Dylan is in good hands. Take lots of pics for us.

Now all I have to worry about (apart from a crash diet!) is leaving the kids home alone. Before anyone calls Social Services, Ash will be 21 next month and Antonia will be 20 in June!!

Shay, can Lily go back to her breeder for the holiday? :flwr:

The breeder lives too far for that to work for us. I am almost to the point of not going. The only person I would trust to keep her is my Mom. I can't trust anyone else to be as careful as we are with our animals. If a door opens she flies out and I just can't take a chance like that. I know she will be safe being boarded, but it is about to kill me just thinking of how upset she is going to be. She is so attached to us, I just don't know how she is going to handle it. My hubby gets mad if I start acting like I'm not going, soooo, I really have to go.

The pictures you posted are beautiful. It looks like paradise. When are you going?

I'm going in May. I usually penny pinch so this will be a real treat for me. I need a break too, my health hasn't been too good recently and the heat will kill some of the aches and pains. Also I've been a bit low and the sun gives me a lift. I'm going with a new friend so it will be great to get to know her better and nice because her mum is coming too who is in her 70s so I should be able to keep up with her at least!!

I don't like leaving my kids. They will be going to Sweden together the week before me. They said they won't miss me :shock:

Oh I can so relate to what you are both going through. When Maxx was a puppy, we went to Florida for nearly 3 weeks. Thankfully, Maxx went to Grandma's and had a great time - I did phone him to talk to him every day though :roll: :lol:

My BIL phoned this morning and asked us to go and stay for a few days when my youngest is next off school and hubby off work. I said I couldn't as I wouldn't leave my babies but I wouldn't stop the males going up. My SIL yelled out that my babies were more than welcome to go and stay too (now that their lovely little dogs have both gone to the bridge I think she feels she could cope & probably feels that she wants some doggy company too).

Anyway, Pauline, Dylan will be fine back with his breeder, you can see by her site how much she adores those babies - you'll miss him more than the other way around LOL. As for the kids, just up the household insurance and get them in plenty of ready meals :lol: they'll be fine ;) :lol:

{{{{Shay}}}} if you were here in UK, I'd have Lily for you. I'm always babysitting my friend's Cavs as my boys are fine with other dogs. Have you not got a friend with a fenced in yard/garden who would take Lily for you for a few days? Or otherwise how about someone coming to stay in your home for a few days? Obviously someone you know - a college student or something?

When my friend went on holiday, our other friend's 20 yr old daughter went to stay at her house to look after her kid's rabbits & fish. Worked out great and the girl learned some independence too :flwr:

Donna...I know it sound's terrible, but I just don't trust anyone. I don't know anyone who could come and stay here. My brother offered so many times to keep Chloe when she was alive, but I would never let him. He would get mad at me. Most of my family are not like me with animals. They just think they are dogs, if you know what I mean. While my brother loved Chloe to pieces, my SIL is not much of a dog person and does not like dogs in the house. I was afraid she would just put Chloe out in the backyard. Putting a Lhasa outside would be about the same as putting a Cav outside, especially when they are total house dogs. Even though the kennel is not what I want to do, at least I know she will be safe. Hubby is already mad at me becasue I don't travel with him anymore unless we can bring Lily. My Mom is going to insist on keeping her. She adores Lily. I just don't want to be the cause of my Mom falling while taking Lily out or something at 80 years old. When she had Chloe she never took Chloe out to do her business, she went on piddle pads. Oh boy, don't know what I'm going to do. I wish I had someone like you and Joanne has offered to keep her too. Wish you guys were closer :( .

Pauline....I bet your kids will miss you, they just don't want you to know. You are going to have a wonderful time and I bet this trip will have you feeling better immediately. Do you suffer for SAAD. I think that's what it's called when you get depressed with no sun. My cousin suffers from it very badly. She had to get a light to sit under in the winter.

Pauline have a wonderful time, the pictures are gorgeous. My spirits are lifted just looking at them. Dylan will love seeing his relatives, sounds like a perfect place for him to be while you're on holiday.

Shay, I wish I could keep Lily for you. It's only what, a matter of 1,000 miles.......You didn't say where you are going for spring break? Have you asked your vet (both of them) if they can recommend some place to board Lily? I know how you feel, I cannot imagine leaving Tucker with a stranger either. By they way ..... if your destination has yet to be determined .... Boston's a cool place to visit, and then I could keep Lily for you :)

We have a pet sitter who comes and stays at the house (on the two times we have taken a trip together :roll: ). If she weren't available I would board them. I think they would be safest at a boarding facility and there are several really nice ones around here. I would be much more relaxed knowing they are at a safe facility then at home where an unsuspecting person might accidentally let them out the door. They probably wouldn't enjoy the facility as much as being at home in their comfortable surroundings....but at least I'd know they are safe.

There are a couple of members in Georgia who board and rave about the facility they use.

Joanne M said:
Shay, I wish I could keep Lily for you. It's only what, a matter of 1,000 miles.......You didn't say where you are going for spring break? Have you asked your vet (both of them) if they can recommend some place to board Lily? I know how you feel, I cannot imagine leaving Tucker with a stranger either. By they way ..... if your destination has yet to be determined .... Boston's a cool place to visit, and then I could keep Lily for you :)

Ahhh Jo....I wish, and I love Boston. We have a time share outside of Gatlinburg, TN., so we are going there. The kids love it there and we have to use the time share so many times per year or we lose our points. Just Hubby and I go every fall, when the leaves are changing too, it is just beautiful.

Have a good time and Dylan will , too. Monty went back to his breeder, when he was the only dog and my, fussy to the point that I left him Bonios to make sure he ate something, boy, not only scoffed everything he was given to eat, but, instead of giving the ecstatic welcome I expected , when we collected him, he wagged his tail, then went round exploring the parts of the kennels he hadn't visited.

hi,

Harry goes into a boarding kennels and he loves it, he's so eager to go in but i still feel like a nasty mummy for leaving him, but i pay for extra's such as a tv, rough and tumble sessions daily as well as his walks, and a daily groom so he gets plenty of attention. i hate leaving him but i know he's well taken care of.

just relax and enjoy it

Hi Pauline

Have a great time in Ibiza, and i am sure Dylan will be fine.

I think Dylan,Lily and my Harvey are the same age. Harvey's birthday is on the 22nd August 06. When is Dylans and Lily's.

I am going on holiday in July and was really worried until i met the lady on the next street (who I do know but only to say hello to, but my daughter knows her daughter), who has just started up a business of taking 1 dog at a time into her home. I couldn't believe my luck. Maybe Shay if you asked your vet you may have someone in your area that does this too. I know what you mean about not trusting anyone, i have been round to the ladies house several times and we have also walked the dogs together. the house is fully doggy proof, believe you me i have checked and checked again. I am paying a bit more than kennels, but he will have the company that he is use to at home. I will worry about him and probably phone everyday, but i think after the first time leaving him i will probably be ok, i am sure if you tried leaving Lily with someone or in kennels it would get better the next time you did it, anyway she might want a holiday herself :lol: anyway good luck!!

Pauline enjoy Ibiza (not been there myself, let us know what it is like)

Anna (Mum of Harvey)

Harvey's Mum said:
I think Dylan,Lily and my Harvey are the same age. Harvey's birthday is on the 22nd August 06. When is Dylans and Lily's.

O.K Anna....Are you sure you didn't get Harvey in the US? :lol: Lily's DOB is August 21st. If I didn't know better, I would swear they are from the same litter. icon_nwunsure

Shay, That's why my Dylan is going back to his breeder, I worry about him running out the door. We do have a baby gate and he doesn't rush to the front door for anyone or the postman. But I don't want to worry. I'm very happy he will be with his family and have a good old play.

Dylan's breeder just mated 4 girls, she must be mad. I said if they all take, I may have to move in. She might have 20 pups! She said if she has 20 I'm definately moving in! She just bought a place in France and I got invited there too. :D

Hi Pauline and Shay

I will measure Harvey and weigh him, lets see if they are of similar size.

We will not forget Lily's birthday being that close to Harvey's. They do look so much alike, my husband keep mistaking Lily for Harvey :lol: :lol:

Will keep in touch

Anna (Mum of Harvey)

Oh you lucky girl....France!! You guys that live in Euorpe are so lucky to be able to take all those wonderful trips w/o all the travel it requires for us.

I wish I did have someone other than my Mom who I would trust with Lily besides the kennel. My Mom is even more particular than I am with our dogs. I would trust her with Lily's life, but am scared that Lily may be a little too active for her. When Chloe went to live with her she was already 9 and not very active. They were perfect together...LOL. Lily bolts out of the door as soon as we open the door. Hubby has been working with her on this, and he is doing a good job. She does anything he tells her, not me, she looks at me like I am loony.
:lpy:

Hi Again

I am not to worried about Harvey dashing out the door, i have taught him the sit and stay command, only took about a week he picked it up very quickly. My friend bought me a book for my birthday and it has been very helpful and easy to follow. With the sit and stay all you had to do was give the sit command or put them in the sit position and give the a stay command by pointing the hand to the floor, if they move you smile at them and just put them back into the sit position saying nothing and , the rule is it is okay not to stay. Treats are needed of course. They soon learn that they get treats for doing nothing. You will need a release command which i say ok in a big really friendly voice then give them a treat. you build up the time you need them to stay. Harvey will sit and stay for 3.30 minutes at the moment. We can even do it with food under his nose, he will not move until i say the ok command and it works with the opened doors, he has learnt that he is not aloud across the door until we say ok. It really works and may also give you the confidence to leave Lily with someone. The book is called Dog Tricks Step by Step by Mary Ann Rombold Zeigenfuse if that is of any use to you. I love spending time with Harvey doing tricks out of the book, another one i have taught him is to close the door behind him, though thats not in the book. :lol:

Anna (Mum of Harvey)

Back