• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dieherrea

enchantingdragon

Ellie has been having diehherea now for about a day and a half. At first we thought some of her raw food went bad so we went out and bought a whole new batch but that hasnt solved the problem. Everytime she goes I check it and there isnt anything in it that suggest she ate something she shouldnt have like a toy or anything. Last night she had to go out at 12, 2, and 4 AM and when I took her out this morning at 8 once again she had diehherea again. Last night at 12 when I was tkaing her out she couldnt even make it between the time I put on my coat and walked to the door she already had done it on the carpet. I felt so bad for her and I still took her outside and she still had some inside her. I dont know what to do to ease her pain. Im going to call the vet tonight I think if this continues. Any suggestions?

has she been fasting ......12 hr fast may clear it up unless its a bacterial thing then the vet is the best person to see :)

First: stop feeding her for 12-24 hours.

If she still has diarrhea tomorrow make a vet appt or consider doing it today -- needing to go that often is quite severe diarrhea; mine have never had it that bad. As a rule of thumb, any time it goes for more than two days, you need to see a vet.

Hard to say what could be causing this. Raw feeding does not agree with all dogs and some have chronic diarrhea on it. It also can take time for an intolerance to a food or ingredient to develop as well and it can become increasingly worse (eg a dog fed say beef-bsed kibble, or raw, or a kibble with corn, can take days, weeks or even months to develop a severe intolerance to that ingredient -- different from just an allergy though that can cause problems too -- it is hard without working out an elimination diet to figure out the exact ingredient though. If there's a good idea of what it might be, that ingredient should ALWAYS be avoided as occasional feeding can cause serious problems by building back up into a severe reaction).

Best first stop is a vet to check for common causes like giardia or colitis etc, then move to checking out dietary reasons once you know it doesn;t seem to be those things.

Keep in mind that treats especially fatty treats like pig ears can cause problems. People often forget to include treats as part of the consideration on dietary problems.

Hi Thanks for the info I think I will be calling a vet today to see when I can get her in

As far diet she has always been on the raw food diet so thats not an issue. We had to switch the raw food as the one she was eating that we got from her breeder that we were worried had gone bad is not available anywhere within reasonable travel distance to her so we did switch to another brand and she ate that for dinner last night for the first time. Would that have affected her that quickly and so severely you think? I dont know about dogs but I know for humans usually if you have a bad stomach issue that leads to dieherra is usually something you ate 24-48 hours ago. Maybe its different with dogs I dont know

Also the only treats she gets are her kibble, ice cubes, and once in a while these liver treats she gets while at class. Its the one the rainer used her first week and she liked it and was fine so we bought it for her to use sometimes at home as a bonus. She doesnt get pig ears or anything of that nature

Even if she has always been on a raw diet, that doesn't mean she will continue to do well on it. Food intolerances can take time to occur and raw may simply not agree with her very well any longer, or the particular ingredients in the raw diet. It should be kept in mind as a possibility if she continues to have diarrhea or other gastric problems where no other reason can be found.

Human cases of diarrhea can be due to many things -- they can be spread by food but it is still an organism causing it that can be spread other ways as well. Often diarrhea is due to allergies or bowel problems, gastroenterititis or colitis, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), food sensitivities... all also present in dogs. It's also often secondary to some other illness. So if it lasts more than two days, human doctors and vets say to see a doctor to look for causes.

See: http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/dietary_intolerance.htm
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1664&articleid=143

Well I called the vet and they suggested trying a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice in small amounts for the next day or so to see what happens. She thinks maybe Ellie got into something outside and maybe its causing some issues with her stomach due to that. I guess the good thing is that its coming out of her body, albeit in an unpleasant and disconcerting way for her and me, but at least its on its way out and not staying in her system. If for some reason none of this helps Ill take her to the vet or the emergency room (we have an excellent 24 hour pet hospital within 20 minutes of our home) asap. She is drinking water like normal and acting normal besides the bouts of dieherrea and the vet said thats always a good sign. I appreciate all the help and of course if the raw food is the cause and she can no longer tolerate it Ill have to consult her breeder for an alternative. Thanks for the help!

When all else failed when Bentley had the diarrhea, the canned pumpkin really worked wonders and it worked right away. I gave him about 2 teaspoons of the canned pumplin, he weighs about 19 lbs. The boiled chicken and rice worked for us too. As long as she isn't in any pain and is eating, hopefully that will help and she'll get better soon.

Back