• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Messy coat

chopsuey 47

My cavalier dog Luka is 10mths old and has just started getting his feathering on his tummy. Unfortunately this is getting badly stained with his urine and smells quite unpleasant.

Could anyone advise me if this is due to his only recently learning to cock his leg. Is it something he will grow out of. Has anyone any tips on keeping him clean.

Thanks in advance.
Sue

Oh the joys of boyhood :roll: I have my groomer shave Jake's tummy. Not everyone is willing to do this though. You can't tell he has a shaved tummy...until he rolls over on his back. He was making such a mess of himself...and would get sooo stinky. This has really helped. Also...I have a no-rinse shampoo that I put on the parts of his "skirt" that he still manages to wet on.

Hi Cathy

How old is Jake?

I have spoken to a dog groomer who will shave him tum. She was a little reluctant but thought it would only be a temporary measure until he grows out of it. Is this likely?

For now I have also bought some no rinse spray on deodouriser which I use after every walk. Is yours a dry shampoo.

Still adore him despite his smelly tum

Jake is 4 years old!! So....this wasn't a puppy thing he was going to outgrow. He's a very hairy boy :roll: My groomer was the one who suggested the tummy shave and you can't tell until he rolls over. I just really prefer the cleanliness of it. I adore the dogs with long flowing untrimmed coats...it's just not a style for us.

Busta is the only one that this really applies to and I sort of cheat -I try to take him over to the field so the wet grass cleans his belly... other than that I will use his own flannel to wipe said area when this does not work.

Some of them are a bit clumsy when first learning to cock a leg. This was true of Jaspar and he never wees on himself any more ad is a very clean dog. Leo on the other hand, who is alsoi hairier, regularly wees on his front leg feathering and can get his tummy. I somtimes take off a small bit of feathering on his tum. But mainly I just take them to a park with a creek every week and this keeps him pretty clean. :) Some use baby wipes too.

My Sonny has a very hairy tummy he starts to get a bit whiffy after a while. I just give him an "in-between bath" ie no soap, just some water & conditioner from the tummy down. I do this every 2 weeks to keep him a clean sweet boy.

yep i would say the baby or even doggy wipes are a good idea as they are spot on and can be done whenever and where ever. :flwr:

Back