PDA

View Full Version : We put Mabel to sleep today

Mabel's Mom
19th March 2007, 09:52 PM
After talking with a neurologist who reviewed Mabel's videos of her episodes, our vet told us she most likely has a tumor on her brainstem. That is why her seizures were associated with sleep and respiratory problems. We couldn't watch her suffer anymore. She has been the best dog we could have asked for. We put her to sleep in our arms. We feel completely empty and brokenhearted. But she won't have anymore seizures and can rest in peace.
Thank you all for you kindness and support. Pass around the doggie treats in honor of Mabel.
Karin :(

Karlin
19th March 2007, 09:59 PM
:flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

I am so, so sorry. It is very clear how much you loved and cared for her. I know she will continue to enrich your lives with many happy memories when the pain lessens. Give yourselves lots of time and know many of us will be thinking of you and of Mabel right now.

George19
19th March 2007, 10:26 PM
I'm so sorry Karin, how heartbreaking for you. You really did everything you could. Such a sad story of a beautiful girl.

BarbMazz
19th March 2007, 10:26 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. I just watched the video you had posted of Mabel. It is heartbreaking she had to suffer. Now she is at rest and it won't be happening anymore.

:hug: :flwr:

frecklesmom
19th March 2007, 10:40 PM
I am so sorry for your loss of Mabel. You gave her so much love and today in love you freed her from illness. The death of a wonderful dog is so difficult for those who were in that circle of love. Take care.

natalieandmike
19th March 2007, 10:40 PM
We are so sorry and are thinking of you. :flwr: -natalie and Mike

Zippy
19th March 2007, 10:52 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss. :flwr: :flwr:

CVFlagg
19th March 2007, 10:59 PM
I am so sorry about your loss. I have followed Mabel's troubles and hopefully she is at peace now, although I know it must have been difficult for you. You are in all of our thoughts.

Lynn
19th March 2007, 11:08 PM
I'm so sorry Karin. My heart breaks for you. You are in my thoughts. :flwr:

nlg679
19th March 2007, 11:12 PM
Hugs and prayers to you all :( !
How very brave your little girl!
How very heartbreaking for you :( ....

Nancy
Teddy and sweet, little Katydid

Doggydad
19th March 2007, 11:17 PM
What a heartbreaker. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Caraline
19th March 2007, 11:24 PM
I am so very sorry Karin. You have done the ultimate act of love, both in ending Mabel's suffering and being with her right to the end. May your heart mend, leaving you with the happy memories.

I will light a candle for Mabel tonight when I get home from work.

cooper&fergus
20th March 2007, 12:17 AM
Karin,

I'm so sorry to hear this but you clearly had a very special dog in Mabel. I'm sure she gave you so many happy memories and you were able to give here the peaceful passing she deserved. It is a difficult time but ultimately those wonderful memories of your time with Mabel will last a lifetime.

My thoughts are with you and your family. Cooper and Fergus send lots of cavie hugs and kisses. :flwr:

molly
20th March 2007, 12:18 AM
So sorry for your loss Karin. She is now running pain free. *ng*l Hugs to you and your family.

Joanne M
20th March 2007, 12:23 AM
Karin I'm so sorry for your loss. God bless Mabel and your entire family. She is at peace, pain free and over the rainbow bridge.

Remali
20th March 2007, 12:54 AM
Oh Karin, I am so sorry. Remember the happy moments you shared with Mabel, she knew how loved she was. Give yourself time, we are all here for you.

Renee :flwr:

Julie S
20th March 2007, 01:39 AM
Oh, no. I am so very sorry for this painful loss. Mabel is in peace now, and that's all that matters. You gave her a beautiful life. Tons of hugs to you. :hug:

Shay
20th March 2007, 01:50 AM
Oh Karin, I am so sorry, I have just now seen this thread. You had the ultimate love for Mabel by letting her go, and ending her suffering. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. She was a special girl and much loved by you and your family. RIP little Mabel *ng*l

Cathy T
20th March 2007, 02:05 AM
Oh Karin...I am so very sorry for you loss. I've thought about Mabel so much the past few days. The video of her is just stuck in my mind...breaks my heart every time I think of it. She was obviously in distress. I think you did the most unselfish possible thing in letting her go to the bridge. She is no longer in pain. Bless your heart....hugs and warm wishes coming to you.

arasara
20th March 2007, 02:21 AM
Oh Karin...I am so very sorry for you loss. I've thought about Mabel so much the past few days. The video of her is just stuck in my mind...breaks my heart every time I think of it. She was obviously in distress. I think you did the most unselfish possible thing in letting her go to the bridge. She is no longer in pain. Bless your heart....hugs and warm wishes coming to you.

I coudln't have said it better than Cathy. :flwr: I've been frequently logging onto this site for updates of mabel. I am so sorry Karin *HUGZ*. We're all here when you need us :flwr:

Spencer'sMom
20th March 2007, 02:32 AM
I'm so sorry, Karin. I'll be thinking of you and your family. Mabel seemed like a wonderful dog and was lucky to have you as her family. :flwr:

Denise G.
20th March 2007, 02:33 AM
I'm so sorry Karin. I've been looking for news of Mabel today. You were/are a wonderful to mommie to Mabel. I know she felt how much you love her. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family. :flwr:

judy
20th March 2007, 03:26 AM
aw karin. :(
i'm very sorry to hear this.
:hug:
i have passed around some 1 calorie Kong treats to Belle and Zack, in Mabel's precious memory.
To Mabel!
run free forever!

Gracie's Mommy
20th March 2007, 03:39 AM
Karin, I'm so sorry for your loss. Thankfully Mabel is now free from pain and can run free at the bridge. Mabel was so lucky to have you...and you lucky to have her! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family... :flwr:

lindsey
20th March 2007, 03:51 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you. Mabel was such a beautiful dog. :hug:

Lani
20th March 2007, 04:17 AM
So sorry for your loss :hug:

Linda
20th March 2007, 04:38 AM
Karin

I am deeply sorry for your loss and emptiness, please find peace you did the right thing although a hard decision you ended her pain and suffering which took a lot of courage. :hug:

Bless you.

Thinking of you :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Kodee
20th March 2007, 05:57 AM
I know you and your family are heart broken but you acted out of complete love for her for what was best. It doesnt make it any less painful for you though - time will help heal. Take it easy for a while.

KingstonsMom
20th March 2007, 07:14 AM
Mabel's poor body went through so much. I think she was trying to be a brave little soul for her mama. You did the right thing by giving her peace.

luvzcavs
20th March 2007, 09:29 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. I really admire your strength and courage. Your little angel is at peace now and will thank you forever that you helped her get there with dignity. :hug: :flwr:

Cathy Moon
20th March 2007, 11:48 AM
So sorry for your loss, Karin. We're sending hugs to you and yours. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Run free at the bridge Mabel *ng*l

Bruce H
20th March 2007, 12:10 PM
Oh, I am so sorry for your loss, Karin. I know there is nothing I can say to make it better, but know that my thoughts are with you.

Harvey's Mum
20th March 2007, 12:19 PM
I am so sorry for your loss Karin.

I had this poem sent to me when i lost my last dog and i would like to share it with you.

Thinking of you.

Anna (Mum of Harvey) :flwr:

LEND ME A PUP

I will lend you for awhile,
a puppy, God said
For you to love her while she lives
and mourn for her when she is gone
Maybe twelve or fourteen years
or maybe for two or three
But will you, till i call her back
take care of her for me

She'll bring her charm to gladden you
and (should her stay be brief)
you'll always have her memories
as solace for your grief
I cannot promise that she will stay
since all from earth return
But there are lessons taught below
I want this puppy to learn

I've looked the whole world over
in search of teachers true
and from the folk that crowd lifes land
I have chosen you
Now will you give her all your love
Nor think the labour vain
Nor hate me when i come and take my pup back again

I fancied that i heard them say
"Dear Lord Thy Will Be Done"
For all the joys this pup will bring
the risk of grief you'll run
Will you shelter her with tenderness
Will you love her while you may
And for the happiness you'll know forever grateful stay

But should I call her back
much sooner than you've planned
Please brave the bitter grief that comes
and try to understand
If, by your love, you've managed
my wishes to achieve
In memory of her that you've loved
cherish every moment with your faithful bundle
and know she loved you too.

Natalie
20th March 2007, 01:32 PM
i am so sorry for your loss talk care :flwr:

Lindsay
20th March 2007, 01:41 PM
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

So sorry for you loss. She was so lucky to have a great family that cared so much about her. Take care.

Molly's mom
20th March 2007, 01:44 PM
:hug: I am so sorry for your loss :( :( :( :(

Lenee
20th March 2007, 02:41 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Mabel looked like a very sweet girl. You are in our prayers.

Alison_Leighfield
20th March 2007, 02:51 PM
karin,

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Mabel was indeed a lucky girl in that she found a family that truly loved her, they loved her so much that they made all the right choices for her. They allowed her the peace from her suffereing when she most needed it.

Karin this was the biggest thing that you could have done for her. Mabel knows you loved and adored her, and that you always will do.

Time will heal, so just be kind to yourself ok. Treasure your memories of the times spent together with your precious girl as they are your gift from her.

Run free Mabel. x

Alison xxx

Jen
20th March 2007, 04:12 PM
Oh I am so sorry. Please take comfort in knowing that you did the best for her. She's free from pain now. :flwr:

Mom_of_2_Cavies
20th March 2007, 05:11 PM
I am so so so sorry to hear this, Karin. I can't really add to the comments that everyone else has already posted, but the bottom line is that she knew she was loved and she's now at peace, and you did the right thing for her. It's the hardest thing in the world, except that it was also the best thing.

Take care of yourself now. {{{{{Hugs}}}}}

Barbara Nixon
20th March 2007, 06:35 PM
I'm so sorry Karin, especially as you had to make the choice. Perhaps Mabel and Izzy , being newcomers at The bridge, will get together.

Crittercall
20th March 2007, 06:43 PM
Karin, I've just seen this thread and didn't know of Mabel's problems. I've been selfishly wrapped up in my own with Wallis.

You have done the ultimate kindness for her out of love. Allow yourself the luxury of grief, because your girl deserves it. Such a hard decision to make. I'm sure that you did the best thing.

Pavane
20th March 2007, 07:14 PM
Thinking of you as you remember all the good times together. But you did the best you could in terms of loving and letting go. Hugs,

P and B

nangel519
20th March 2007, 07:20 PM
Karin,

I just saw this thread, words can not even begin to express how sorry I am for your loss.

She's in a better place without pain, you did the best thing for her.

:flwr: :flwr:

Claire L
20th March 2007, 08:19 PM
:cry*ing: :( Karin, my heart just stopped when I saw your post. I am so very very sorry for your loss of your beautiful little muffin Mabel.
You did good by your little girl; you gave her every chance and I know from reading your posts, just how much you love her. I wish I could find words to take away the pain that's in your heart right now. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers at this heartbreaking time.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
:flwr:

Friday's Mommy
20th March 2007, 08:42 PM
Oh Karin, I'm so sorry. Watching you on the video you were such a wonderful mom to little Mabel, so sweet and loving with her. She lived her life knowing she was very loved. :flwr:

Crittercall
20th March 2007, 10:22 PM
This has been on my mind ever since I read it earlier today, and I just can't shake it. I know how sad you are and there are no words that can help you with the pain and loss that you feel.

I so wish that there was something that could be said or done to help. I would take part of your sadness myself if I could. I didn't see your video, but the posts I read showed that you did so much for your girl. And in the end all we can do is just - all we can do.

You are being kept in my thoughts and prayers.

Aoine
20th March 2007, 10:44 PM
Karin, we are thinking of you at this time, We cannot imagine what you are going through but be assured that you did everything possible to ease her sufferring. She was lucky to have you and you were lucky to have her. She is at peace now and she will always be with you in your heart and in your wonderful memories. Good luck and know that everyone here feels your pain and loss. xox

bsam101
21st March 2007, 12:39 AM
Dear Karin,

I am so sorry for your loss of little Mabel. Words cannot express the feelings of loss without her by your side. You have given her your love and with that love you have given her peace.

Om's Mom
21st March 2007, 03:28 AM
Dear Karin,
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your wee Mabel. You both put up a valiant struggle. These little furkids get into our hearts where they occupy a huge spot. When we lose one, they leave an enormous "hole." She was young. And Lovely.
She's in no misery now at Rainbow Bridge.

:flwr: Take care.
Dorothy and Omlette
The Little Dickens at Rainbow Bridge *ng*l

PamH
21st March 2007, 06:12 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. Hugs to you.
Pam

Nisha
21st March 2007, 10:37 AM
:( :( Oh Karin, i cant imagine what you must be going through!! i am so terribly sorry for your loss of Mabel! My heart went cold when i read your post :shock: Letting her go was the most loving thing you couldve done for her..she is now at peace...

Wil be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers *ng*l :flwr:

Take Care :flwr:

cavlover
21st March 2007, 02:36 PM
Karin, I am sooo sorry for your family. I saw the video and it really tore at my heart. I know you did the right thing for Mabel, It really is the hardest thing to do, I had to do the same thing with our Rocky and he died in my arms even though it was hard to let him go his suffering was gone and he seamed at peace,( I'm sure you feel the same way)
judy

WillowsMom
21st March 2007, 04:14 PM
I am so sorry for your loss - I've been following your posts regarding Mabel's condition, and was hoping she was doing better. I know you did the right thing in letting her go rather than having her suffer. We're all here for you.

merlinsmum
21st March 2007, 08:22 PM
Thinking of you Karin at such a sad time. You did your very best for your little Mabel, she is no lonmger suffering now and is able to play and run and snooze to her hearts content at the bridge with no pain :flwr:

KimNIndy
21st March 2007, 08:28 PM
oh karin i'm so sorry to hear of your loss. i'm sure that little mabel left a huge hole in your heart and you'll be in my thoughts and prayers. :hug: :hug: :hug:

you were such a loving mommy to mabel and i'm sure that she was comforted every waking moment by your love and attention. i hope that memories of her good times will comfort you throughout this time.

run free at the bridge mabel *ng*l

k

angie
22nd March 2007, 02:53 PM
shedding a tear as i read all these postings to you. mabel was loved and cherished and is now in a restfull place free of pain. my thoughts are with you. :flwr:

Sandrac
22nd March 2007, 05:21 PM
My thoughts are with you at this sad time. We all understand how hard the decision is even when we know its the right one. Take care Karin, you will keep your memories of her always.

Laura&Lia
23rd March 2007, 03:07 AM
So sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts. :flwr: I think you did the right thing. Is very hard to see them go. Hugs.

pippa
26th March 2007, 11:58 PM
Karin , I just seen this thread now so sorry for your loss :( . I watched your video of Mabel last week but was too upset to post as I could offer no advice :cry*ing: .
You have done the best you could for your little girl. Take care.

Rest easy now Darling Mabel *ng*l