• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

London Cav Owners... Question!

blt178

Not sure how many of you live in London, but I'm looking for advice...

My husband and I are in the process of applying for work visas and moving from Canada to London. I've researched all of the steps that need to be done to bring my Ben with us since I really can't imagine being without him...

But it's looking like finding pet-friendly flats to rent there might be difficult if not impossible!

Anyone with advice/experience on living in London with a dog?

Do you have to live in London? it's the most expensive part of the country propertywise.

I live in Stoke-on-Trent, in the Midlands, which is not one of the most beautiful places to live, but here you can buy a large house with large garden for the price of a tatty old one bedroomed flat in London.

London is very pricey .......the letting agent will be able to let you know if pets are allowed

good luck

And I'm in Swindon, Wiltshire, on the direct main line train route to London (45 mins) and also directly on the M4 giving you 1hr 15 mins drive.....alot of people living here go to London daily as did my husband for 3 yrs.

Are you going to be working in London itself?

If you need any further info please ask.
Good luck,

Alison.

Yes, London is pricey for sure! I have lived there before briefly after university but didn't have the doggie to contend with at that time.

Both my husband and I will be working in London and would prefer to live in a smaller space and be close as opposed to commuting. (This also our strategy here in Canada... live in a condo downtown in Toronto instead of living in Mississauga where we could have a house, but we'd have to drive for an hour).

By living IN London I hope that we can still easily get out to see the city and get home in short amt of time so we can still spend lots of time with Ben...

I guess what I'm wondering is if it will be impossible to find something doggie friendly? The other option is to have him stay with my mother while we are away... which is fine for a few months while we sort all of that out...

Lots of planning left to do!

Great that you are moving to London...... there are apartments, flats or houses to rent in most areas, but you will probably need to do a search on dog friendly accommodation in the UK. I will be starting work at an estate agents in April, so if you want me to have a look I will be happy to do so.

Claire said:
Great that you are moving to London...... there are apartments, flats or houses to rent in most areas, but you will probably need to do a search on dog friendly accommodation in the UK. I will be starting work at an estate agents in April, so if you want me to have a look I will be happy to do so.

Thanks Claire! That would be lovely! It will likely be late summer/early fall by the time all of the paperwork/arrangements are done and we can actually MOVE... but if your offer stands I may reach out to you then?

And thanks Davy too... I'd forgotten about thegumtree.com! I have been looking on craigslist as well, not as many postings there.

Offer definately stands.... I forget about GumTree thats how I found my job.... what a shame I had to register with all the agencies that never actually did anything.... :yikes

At the agility/obedience/heelwork to music classes(APDT registered) that I help out with we have several people attend that live in central london. They seem to have no problems with living and working in the city. There are lots of parks that are still dog friendly!!! You'll love it - you never know we may get to meet!! If you want any more details nearer the time get in touch!!

Sandrac said:
At the agility/obedience/heelwork to music classes(APDT registered) that I help out with we have several people attend that live in central london. They seem to have no problems with living and working in the city. There are lots of parks that are still dog friendly!!! You'll love it - you never know we may get to meet!! If you want any more details nearer the time get in touch!!

You have no idea how much better I feel reading this... I just needed to hear from someone else that it would be a positive experience for all!

Even though he'd be happy at my Mom's (BIG yard and other dogs), I just couldn't imagine not being with him.

Thank to you all for your quick responses and thoughts on this... I'm looking forward to arriving in the UK and who knows, perhaps you are right Sandra, we may meet one day!

Sandrac said:
At the agility/obedience/heelwork to music classes(APDT registered) that I help out with we have several people attend that live in central london. They seem to have no problems with living and working in the city. There are lots of parks that are still dog friendly!!!

As a central Londoner, dogs and parks are no problem at all, unless you live in Camden. :?

Back