PDA

View Full Version : does your dog point?

natalieandmike
20th March 2007, 07:42 PM
Yesterday on one of our walks, Mike told me that Bianca "pointed" to a small bird. I didn't believe him until I took her out today, and we saw a flock of Canadian geese. I went, "Bianca, look at the geese"! When I looked down at her, she had her front paw upward and bent and tail straight out...a point! I figured that all Cavs might have a bit of springer spaniel from some time back when, but also thought that it might well have been bred out of them by now. She doesn't go after any birds, just stands there and "points" at them! From an animal behavior standpoint, I think it's pretty neat. Though, I'm not a hunter! Wish I had my camera.
Anyone else's dogs do this? Just curious. :flwr: -Natalie

CavalierLover
20th March 2007, 08:03 PM
Natalie-

Bishop does that too. He did that pretty early on as a puppy and I always thought that was so cute. He points at other dogs as well as when he's 'on alert', searching the yard, etc.

Shay
20th March 2007, 08:10 PM
Yep....Lily does it too....so cute!

Justine
20th March 2007, 09:01 PM
yes alfs does this as well,my hubby reckons its the spaniel in them.he will also hunt for me looking for as i call them RATS.he doesnt catch nor kill,i woudnt let that happen.its just our bit of fun.

moniechris
20th March 2007, 09:30 PM
Wesley DEFINITELY does this. He also "stalks" his prey like a tiger by taking very sloooow steps toward his target. It's my favorite when he does it to my shih tzu :lol:

casshon
20th March 2007, 09:47 PM
Honey does it too - its so cute!

There was an injured bird in the garden once and she pointed to it but didn't try to touch the bird at all - she's such a good girl :p

Joanne M
20th March 2007, 10:13 PM
Tucker points and can hold still in the point position for a very long time.

Whenever I can't find my glasses (a few times a day) I say to Tucker "Where did I leave my glasses" and as I look from room to room he follows along. He's yet to locate them and point to them, but wouldn't that be nifty!

Claire
20th March 2007, 10:32 PM
My lot do it also...... especially Ozzy when he is looking at the birds when we are out :roll:

enchantingdragon
20th March 2007, 10:46 PM
Ellie does this as well

natalieandmike
20th March 2007, 11:01 PM
Sounds like a pretty common theme! Well, sorry if it was a stupid question, I still think it's quite neat. Now, Tucker, where are my glasses? :lol:

mishmosh
20th March 2007, 11:04 PM
my pup does this only when he's trying to say 'please'

Joanne M
20th March 2007, 11:16 PM
I don't think it was a stupid question. I was thrilled the first time Tucker did it. "Did you see that"

Whenever my nieces come to visit I usually tell Tucker before hand. He stands at the storm door looking down the street often in a point. My sister loves this, she thinks it's amazing that he is standing one paw off the floor when they pull up in their car. He holds still in a point until my niece Elizabeth gets out of the car and then he begins the bottom half of his body tail wagging until she gets to the walk and then he begins jumping up at the door.

Caraline
21st March 2007, 01:31 AM
Sonny & my 2 Boxers point. They all look cute when they do this. I guess Beau will learn soon enough. :)

Lisa_T
21st March 2007, 01:37 AM
Amber will sit and point (you know, sit and hold one paw raised) while she's looking at something interesting,or watching for Holly to drop the toy of the moment. If she's just sitting both paws are on the ground :D

Mom_of_2_Cavies
21st March 2007, 01:44 AM
Yes, mine do this too. When we got Pepper as a puppy, I remember remarking that I'd never had a dog that looked up in the air as much as he did, and it's clearly part of their ancestry as bird dogs.

They will stop and point at birds and airplanes too, actually!

Shay
21st March 2007, 01:47 AM
Not silly at all. It was so exciting the first time Lily did it. Guess it's the spaniel in them. She also does the stalking the prey and leaping thing that Monica was talking about. My hubby always says "are you sure she doesn't have cat in her". :lol: Now if she actually caught something, I think she would fly back to me like she does every time something scares her. :roll:

*Pauline*
21st March 2007, 10:13 AM
How cute, I'll look out for Dylan pointing in the future, I don't think he had so far. :flwr:

Natalie
21st March 2007, 10:17 AM
yep lady does it when she's in the garden looking at birds.

blue_star
21st March 2007, 12:46 PM
Archie often does this and has done since about 9 months old.

Since Toby has been with me and become a bit more playful he too has started doing this. Often when he is stood waiting for his food, or stalking a cat that teases him in the garden. I think its really cute. I used to have a boarder collie when I was younger who used to do this!