• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pet Food Recall - Another Update

Joanne M

Has anyone seen any numbers relating to deaths associated with the pet food recall? On the Today Show this morning they reported one in every six animals treated had died as a result. The report did not give numbers of deaths or sick animals. Has anyone seen, heard, read how many deaths are being attributed to the tainted food?

I first found out about this recall from Jeni in a thread she started in the Health and Diet Section. I think this is important enough to be repeated.

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/

I think the 1 in 6 number came from the tests they did. They supposedly knew of the problem 30 days before the recall.

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

*Filed at March 19th at 5:19 p.m. ET*

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Seven animals died in tests of suspect dog and cat food
by the manufacturer after complaints the products were poisoning pets around
the country, the government said Monday.

A federal investigation is focusing on wheat gluten as the likely source of
contamination that sparked a recall last Friday of 60 million cans and
pouches of the suspect food, said Stephen F. Sundlof, the Food and Drug
Administration's
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/f/food_an
d_drug_administration/index.html?inline=nyt-org>
top veterinarian.

The ingredient, a protein source, is commonly used as filler.

Agency investigators are looking at other ingredients as well. The wet-style
pet food was made by Menu Foods, an Ontario, Canada-based company.

Menu Foods told the FDA it received the first complaints of kidney failure
and deaths among cats and dogs from pet owners on Feb. 20. It began new
tests on Feb. 27.

During those tests, the company fed its product to 40 to 50 dogs and cats
and some seven animals -- the mix of species was not immediately known --
died, Sundlof said. The contamination appeared more deadly to cats than to
dogs, he said.

The recall now covers dog food sold throughout North America under 51 brands
and cat food sold under 40 brands, including Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba. The
food was sold under both store and major brand labels at Wal-Mart, Kroger,
Safeway and other large retailers.

Is it only me or does anyone else feel outraged that they actually fed tainted food to dogs and cats to see if any died? It would seem to me that recallling the food and testing the food for toxins would be the better way. I won't ever use Menu food just cuz.
J.

I purchase my food from the Drs Fosters and Smith website. They posted a notice saying their food was not affected and then linked this article. It's confusing, I'd like to know how many animals were affected and became sick and how many died. See the numbers below. I think they have no idea. I saw one woman interviewed on a local newstation who's cat had died soon after she switched to one of the affected brands.

The following is the March 17, 2007 press release by the Food and Drug Administration regarding the recall. The recall was prompted by consumer complaints received by the manufacturer and by tasting trials conducted by the manufacturer. There has been a small number of reported instances of cats and dogs in the United States that developed kidney failure after eating the affected product. Ten deaths, one dog and nine cats, have reported at this time.

FDA is conducting an investigation and working with Menu Foods, Inc. to ensure the effectiveness of the recall. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-866-895-2708. Consumers who wish to report adverse actions or other problems can go to http://www.fda.gov/opacom/backgrounders/complain.html to contact the FDA complaint coordinator in their state.

The link below is where I have taken this information from.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&cat=2049&articleid=3495

How does a company deliberately feed possibly contaminated food to "guinea pig" dogs. Isn't there abuse somewhere in those actions? If there were not state-of-the-art labs worldwide, that might be considered a reason, but, in today's world it seems, to me, to be a barbaric act. I can't find much on Canada's abuse laws but maybe they are in the dark ages.

Jay said:
Is it only me or does anyone else feel outraged that they actually fed tainted food to dogs and cats to see if any died? It would seem to me that recallling the food and testing the food for toxins would be the better way. I won't ever use Menu food just cuz.
J.
Yup it made me to swear off any product by any of them! I understand no matter how high standards are, sometimes things go wrong. If the company after investigation truely is not knowingly responsible I possibly could trust them again if its proven. But regardless if this was out of their control - no way in $#!! would I ever by a product from that huge list again knowing they fed it to see if they died! (About the only thing I have from that list was the cookies Kodee won last wk in class - out they go!

We had a couple food that was recalled from my store....It was the Nutro Natural Choice pouches for both dogs and cats every flavor we had was taken off the shelf... We were glad that was all the dog food pouches aren't a big seller, but the cat pouches are so I really hope none of the pouches that were taken do any harm to any of our customers animals...

I'm also glad the recall was needed for Solid Gold or Vet's Choice, or other foods that we feed our dogs on this site...

Kingofthehouse86 said:
I'm also glad the recall was needed for Solid Gold or Vet's Choice, or other foods that we feed our dogs on this site...
I'm confused? Was Solid Gold recalled - I didnt see it on the list? Or are you talking about something I read here that happened in the past with that brand?

I think it's going to take a long time to get this all sorted out and learn how many animals are actually impacted. They are saying that cats are more likely to be vulnerable than dogs, for some reason yet to be explained.

What I was wondering is whether some animals can recover from the acute kidney problems that they apparently are suffering from as a result of eating this food, or if they will develop chronic problems that they will have to live with the rest of their lives (and likely have their lives shortened because of it).

Something that is very hard for me to face up to is how many dogs and cats are used as laboratory animals by companies like this, for testing and experimentation. :(

Kodee said:
Kingofthehouse86 said:
I'm confused? Was Solid Gold recalled - I didnt see it on the list? Or are you talking about something I read here that happened in the past with that brand?

Kodee, I think that was a typo--from the context of the sentence. It looks like it was intended to read "...the recall was NOT needed..." Those foods were not recalled, as far as I've seen.

Mom_of_2_Cavies said:
Kodee said:
Kingofthehouse86 said:

Kodee, I think that was a typo--from the context of the sentence. It looks like it was intended to read "...the recall was NOT needed..." Those foods were not recalled, as far as I've seen.
Thanks, I will take my heart out of my throat now :yikes

It will probably be 6 months or so before the dog magazines print full stories with all the facts about this recall and the number of deaths.

That's how long it took last year after that Diamond dog food was recalled due to toxins in the corn gluten meal that went into the food. The FDA gave them a slap on the wrist last year.

The number of deaths, I feel is going to be huge. The food has been on the shelf since January and there are tons of people just now finding out why their healthy dogs all of a sudden fell ill and died 3 months ago. Locally, I have read of at least 3 pets in my area that died back in January and had no one could figure out why, now they know... Most owners had both dogs and cats on the food, both got sick. :(

I saw Royal Cain is also under fire on the news tonight. As well there was a website to petition Menu foods to cover vet bills which for some owners are huge. I wanted to go to it and now cant find the link - I'll keep looking

$50M lawsuit filed against pet food company
Last Updated: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 | 7:22 PM ET
CBC News
Another big pet-food manufacturer is accused of selling tainted food in Canada that has allegedly killed some animals and made others sick, CBC News has learned.

A $50-million class-action lawsuit was filed Tuesday in Toronto against Royal Canin — a multibillion-dollar French company that supplies the Canadian pet-food market.

The lawsuit seeks compensation for anyone who has purchased Royal Canin
dog or cat food since Aug. 1, 2004.

Full Story http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2007/03/20/pet-food-lawsuit.html

Jeez... the more I read about pet food companies the more angry I get. They rip us off with prices that are outrageous and none of them, not even the so-called "premium foods" have expensive ingredients. Then there is all this bull-#%*! propaganda put out about how great it is. They feed fear to those who love their dogs with their "your home cooked isn't nutritionally balanced", and then they have the hide to kill cats & dogs in their experiments. :swear:

Makes me want to change completely over to home-cooked, and I might do it yet!

I am really outraged that a pet food company used dogs like laboratory rats just to see if they would drop dead from tainted food! I'd like to think that the company feeding my dog cares about pets as much as I do. Obviously that isn't the case. I'm not using any Menu Foods products anymore. I guarantee you that!

Kodee said:
I saw Royal Cain is also under fire on the news tonight. As well there was a website to petition Menu foods to cover vet bills which for some owners are huge. I wanted to go to it and now cant find the link - I'll keep looking

CBC News
Another big pet-food manufacturer is accused of selling tainted food in Canada that has allegedly killed some animals and made others sick, CBC News has learned.

A $50-million class-action lawsuit was filed Tuesday in Toronto against Royal Canin — a multibillion-dollar French company that supplies the Canadian pet-food market.

Thanks for posting this Kodee. RC is now off my list of foods I would recommend!

Cathy Moon said:
Kodee said:

CBC News

Thanks for posting this Kodee. RC is now off my list of foods I would recommend!

Oh Crap.....Should I quit feeding Lily RC??? Was this just the Canadian Food??

Back