• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help !!

ann

:? Ellie is now 4 months old. Her latest idea of fun is......When she wants to sit on my lap, she comes to me.....I lean to pick her up....and she runs away :roll: Also she wont come to me when I ask and if I go to try and go to her, she lets me get about 3ft away and again runs off.....
I have never chased after her ( couldnt if I tried). I have tried tasty treats, and she will come and get the treat and then run off :sl*p:
I have just tried ignoring her behaivour thinking its just a new game she is trying on me..... But I cant take her for a walk, because even though she loves her walks, the same thing happens when I go to put her lead on, she come running up to me.....I bend to put the lead on, and she runs away :(
Training classes dont start until the 20th April.......
So any ideas how to stop this game she has started please?

I have used a long line on her and she does well on this. She will always come back when I blow a whistle and call her name and then reward with somthing tasty. I then let her run off again to play and repeat the excercise. But when she is in the garden playing off the long line, and in the house and I want to put her lead on for walkies or to pick her up etc, this is when she has started the running off behaivour........I dont shout at her, and if she does ossasionally come back I give her a tasty treat but its frustrating and I cant understand why, its the things she really wants like.....Walkies or sitting on the settee for EG: that she really just runs away from :sl*p:

She IS wanting to play--the great game of chase. So give her what she wants: play chase!!

What!? Am I NUTS?! The key is, play on your terms. YOU become the target. Run the opposite direction when she runs from you. She'll take the bait and run after you. Say COME! when you run away (or run backwards, if you're agile!). When she gets close, grab her collar and praise her to high heaven for coming when you called.

The best way to get a puppy (or dog) to come TO you is to call then in a bright cheerful voice, turn sideways, bend over and clap your hands, and run AWAY from them! This makes you smaller, less scary, gets their attention, and makes you irresistable to chase. Turning sideways means you are not facing full on -- which in dog body language is a *threatening position* that says stop or go away.

Try it! Bet it will work... :lol:

We were taught to first have someone hold the lead and you show your puppy a treat. then you run away, turn, crouch and call them excited. As they come to you, you hold the treat out and put on their nose going slightly back so they sit (or if they know sit just say it). You simutanously feed the treat and grab the collar.

Once that is down pat - you radomly just call your dog a few times a day and do the same motion with one hand and treat, other grabs the collar. Dont let go of the treat till you have the collar.

3rd Step is to play hide and seek by calling your dog hiding behind a door etc.. You still make them sit and just mouth the treat till you get hold of them.

I know it sounds basic - but when I did it consistenly over a wk as my homework (all 3 scenarios) the result at the end of the wk is kodee will come when ever i call her, do an automatic sit and knows I am not letting go of that chicken till she is sitting calmly with my hand on her collar.

I find with training we often know the stuff when we read it. But the classes force you to consistantly do it so you dont make an $@@ out of yourself at the next class when you have to show you did it. That tells me without the class I am lazy and forgetful. :oops: The class trains me to be consistent Kodee is the teacher I think. :sl*p:

Back