• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Another Lily question: Updated From Vet Visit

Shay

Sorry for all the questions as of late, but it seems they have all come at once. As a follow up to my heat post of last week. She stopped doing the crab walk tee-tee, and she started going to the door again, so all that is back to normal. She is now peeing in her crate. For the last 3 days after her nap and when she gets up in the morning, her mat and blankets are wet. I have cleaned the crate with miracle pet, washed everything each time and put miracle pet in the water. The other thing to add is we bought her a bigger crate to sleep in for our bedroom as she was outgrowing the plastic crate she was sleeping in. This one is wire and twice the size of the other. I thought maybe it is too big. So this morning I put the divider in and made it a little smaller. She peed again during her nap. She shows no sign of having a UTI. Is this behavior from her having been in heat too? She never ever peed in her crate even as a little puppy. I don't know what else to do. h*lp

Hey Shay,

I have no experience with a female who's just been through her heat cycle (or is still going through it). Tucker had a few accidents long after he was trained too. They were all in his crate. I used to think his were done on purpose. Each time he did it, about three times in one week, he ran to his other bed in the living room immediately after. At that time I kept a soft-sided crate with door panel up, next to my bed for Tucker to sleep in at night. He also has a little doggy bed in front of the fire place in the living room. On those nights that he peed on the bedding in his crate, it was at my bedtime, and after I got into bed he jumped up along side the bed scratching at the mattresses wanting to get in. The bed is so high up off the floor that he is unable to get in by himself. I told him "no, go lay down" and he went into his crate, peed and then ran out of the room, down the hall to his bed in the livingroom. It didn't seem accidental to me, it seemed he was in a snit about wanting to sleep with me. But what do I know I don't speak cavalier. By the way .... Tucker won the battle, eventually I gave in and he sleeps with me now. He had one accident in my bed in a year. Fortunately I noticed it immediately, washed the linens, the mattress pad protected my mattress.

Edited to add:
In reading this thread again when a new post was added to it, I re-read my own comments. I really do need to learn Cavalier lingo. Tucker uses piddle pads late night and was probably trying to convince me to let him out instead on those nights. What an ego I have, thinking he wanted to sleep with me!! With no lighting in my back yard I worry about letting him out in the dark alone, we often have skunks in my neighborhood and possums too. Because the ground is not level, I worry about stepping in a hole and twisting my ankle when I go out and can't see where I'm stepping. So the piddle pad is easier for me.

You might want to have her checked by the vet. The only time I had a female break housetraining, it was a UTI with no other symptoms. And I had a male who all of a sudden started peeing in the house and it turned out to be kidney stones. Is she drinking excessive amounts of water lately? It almost sounds like she cannot help the urination. Maybe better to have her checked at this point I think just to be on the safe side. I hope she is OK.

Shay, I second Mollys' post.....call the vet and see if you can bring her in for a urinalysis just to rule out UTI.

Hope Lily gets over this stuff soon......then in a few months, you can have her spayed. :)

I would call the vet. Maybe she has an UTI because not always they have all the symptoms.
:flwr:

Peeing like this IS a possible UTI symptom (I'd consider it on its own to be a strong symptom, actually!). So I'd check again with the vet if it is continuing. (y)

I agree ...... have the vet check a UA just to be sure !!!

If its not ....you might try taking out ALL of the bedding in the crate and going down to a crate size just big enough for her to stand up , turn around, lie down ect . Take her out frequently , supervize with BOTH eyes while she is out for playtime and crate whenever you cant watch her . dogs generally will not pee where they have to sleep .....and bedding absorbs it .The key is to make her not want to lie in cold wet pee ;)

Thanks ya'll. I have been doing that with the bedding and I did make the crate smaller. She slept with me last night, becasue hubby is out of town, and she did not wake up all night, no accidents. No accidents in the house, just the crate. I have been gone all day with her so she hasn't been in the crate since yesterday's nap. She had a full blood work panel, urinalysis and an x-ray right before she went in heat, because I thought she had a UTI then. All her blood work and urinalysis came back negative. That’s when he told me she had the inverted vulva, and to let her go through one cycle. He did give me some antibiotics just in case something didn’t show up. She is not showing any signs like she was when I thought she had a UTI before, like licking herself all the time, which now looking back, was probably due to her going in heat 2 weeks after I had all those tests done. I will bring her to the Vet tomorrow just to be safe. If she does not have a UTI, then I don't know what the deal is. She has just been very weird ever since she went in heat, poor baby. Again, thanks for the advice.

Have you actually seen her pee or is her bed just wet when you check it? The reason I ask, is that sometimes the first sign of a pyometra is a wet bed. Pyometra is a horrible life threatening condition where the uterus fills up with puss, and a bitch can go down very fast if it isn't attended too.

Because your girl is so young, the chances of this are pretty slim, however it is something to be aware of. The vets need to do an ultrasound of the uterus to see this, and even then it can be difficult to see.

I'd be getting a vet checkup.

More info on pyometra at

http://www.purebredlabs.com/pyometra_in_dogs__what_is_pyomet.htm

No Caraline...I have not catually seen her pee. When I get her out of her crate, her mat and blanket are wet. I am taking her tomorrow to the Vet. Thanks for the info. I am not going to take any chances.

Yeah, Shay, what everybody else says. They're beginning to sound like me!! :D

This one is a toss up - do you hope for an infection that you can treat with antibiotics (which means she's really sick) or do you hope she's just being a brat because she's in her teenage years?

I say back to the keg in the closet and pizza on the floor.

Just got back from the Vet, but my regular Vet was not there. Her temp was normal, which does not indicate a UTI or infection. He thinks she may have a touch of vaginitis. He did give me some antibiotics, which if she does not have an infection, I'm not sure what they are for. He said, just in case????? Her breast are all very irritated looking and swollen. I have to put cold compresses on them 3x a day. He said the behaviors, (peeing in her crate, squatting several times outside), are all from her hormones, which will not be back to normal for at least another month. He said that she may be having a false pregnancy too. Which if she is, all of this could last for another 9 weeks. :yikes. I also had him go over all of her blood work with me from 6 weeks ago. Her platelets were low, which the other Vet did not tell me. He may know about the platelet issue with Cavs and wasn't alarmed. I told this Vet about the platelets issue and he was not aware. I am very relieved that it is nothing more serious :) .

Shay, I'm not sure is this good news or not? :sl*p: Another nine weeks of heat, a false-pregnancy.

Jeez poor Lily, poor you. But it is good news the Vet does not suspect anything serious is wrong with her. Keep us posted we love Lily.

Thanks Jo!

I know, I know. I just had a long talk with her and I said " Now Lily, you are not pregnant, o.k. girl. Mommy is done with all of that". As soon as she wakes up from her nap, we will have another little chat. :lol:

LOL Shay.. Don't know how to take the vet's news!!

I'm glad Lily is alright - it's good that your vet is being cautious with her. :)

Hope she's not going through a false pregnancy! :yikes

Oh my, you are having quite a time with this heat - but I suppose so is poor Lily. I recommend... a drink! It will be over soon - oh how so easy to say but not so easy for you to wait for it to happen!

Back