• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier puppies' runny eyes....

Bronte

Is this normal and okay?

I noticed that all of Charlie's littermates, himself included have "runny eyes.
Not bad but noticable tear streaks.

I'm pretty sure it is normal but can anything be done about it?
I thought I remember someone mentioning something about TUMS?

Charlieface.jpg

Breed trait I'm afraid. With my guys it seemed to be worse when they were puppies (I was told it had to do with teething). I have found that Eye Envy works very well. :flwr:

Duncan's used to be terrible, but since we changed to a higher quality food and started using contact lens saline solution every other day on the stains his stains are minimal. I think the food REALLY helped.

Kodees looked like that when she came to us. First a switch in food to a lower ingredient list (puppies can develop intolerances if the food is too loaded) and making sure I wipe her eyes faithfully daily. I bought baby washcloth pkg of 6 and use warm water. A few days a wk I might put a bit of diamond eye on a spot - but its like trying to hit a moving train with the qtip and puppy who wants to eat it! :yikes

I also notice her eyes are worse if she is over excited e.g. puppy class at end or walks on windy days.

I switched my Golden who aslo has a case of the runny eyes to Solid Gold food when it was suggested to me on this forum.

Maybe solid gold puppy formula for Charlie would be a good move on my part.

Also, maybe I should ask my breeder to start feeding him that as soon as they can be on solid food. That way he won't have to switch homes and food at the same time.

Is that a weird request to make?

Bronte said:
I switched my Golden who aslo has a case of the runny eyes to Solid Gold food when it was suggested to me on this forum.

Maybe solid gold puppy formula for Charlie would be a good move on my part.

Also, maybe I should ask my breeder to start feeding him that as soon as they can be on solid food. That way he won't have to switch homes and food at the same time.

Is that a weird request to make?
From the breeders perspective having seen mine looking after all these zooming puppies, adult dogs, mothers worrying over know the drill her babies will vanish - it might be hard to meet each new parents request. Think about if each of you picked a different food! But it cant hurt to ask!

Finley and my mom's cav K-Sea only drink Deer Park, but they still get runny eyes ones in a while. Finley more so b/c he's teething and still young.

Our puppy had runny eyes when we went to see him at the breeder's. Now that he is home it hasn't been a problem. From what I understand it is pretty common in puppies while they are teething.

Gracie has runny eyes, too. They're definitely worse after periods of high activity. We use Renu contact solution (the kind that safe for eyes--multipurpose solution, not cleaner only). This has cleared it up quite a bit and much better for a few days at a time.

Sidenote...I tried the store brand solution and thought that didn't work well at all. I think it must need to be Renu brand to be worthwhile.

Many breeders including Laura Lang think that their eyes are runny when pups then tend to mostly stop, because their skulls fit their eyes better as they mature. But brachycephalic (short-nosed) breeds are also prone to this problem because the way their shorter face alters their facial anatomy.

They will tear more when pups (definitely true for Jaspar and Leo) but some are just more prone to this than others. If tearing is excessive it should be mentioned to a vet but your picture looks pretty mild and normal for a puppy!

Thanks for the tips!

Wow Karlin, when you mentioned Laura Lang you threw me for a loop.

Laura's dog Kenny is the dad to Charlotte and Charlie!

Have you seen her dogs?

Toby had pretty significant tear streaks. I paid a lot for some solution to clean them, and it worked pretty well.

A few months later I rescued a mongrel pup. A woman had a box of pups to give away in front of WalMart, and this one was so darn homely, I just knew no one would take her, so, of course, I did. She was only 7 weeks old. I named her Moonshine because the shading on her face reminded me of the man in the moon.

Nearly from the day I brought her home, she began "grooming" Toby, including, licking at his eyes and the tear streaks. It has been almost 6 months now and Moonshine cleans Toby's face every day. Not a speck of tear stain in months.

It's a very odd solution to the problem, but it sure did work.

Yep, another dog is a great eye cleaner! My friend Heather has 2 dogs and they keep each other's eyes and ears all clean.

I would love to see a photo of Moonshine. I love the name!

I would love to be able to post pics of Toby and Moonshine, but, alas, my DD took my digital camera on vacation and it liked it so well where it went that it decided to stay there.

I haven't yet been able to buy an new one.

Hopefully, with my 2 new jobs, I will have the funds, but it is going to take a few more months to get out of the hole I got into being unemployed for 2 months.

If anyone knows anyone who is upgrading their digital camera and wants to get rid of the old one, I would be very happy to give it a good home.

Back