• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Eating Poo

Shelly91180

I know this is really gross, but my little has this very bad habit of eating poo. I have stopped letting him out in the yard off leash b/c he will slurp it up like spaghetti. :yuk: I know gross! However, even on leash he will still try to pick up and eat these "tasty" nuggets when I'm not looking.

How can I get him to stop eating it?

Shelly91180 said:
I know this is really gross, but my little has this very bad habit of eating poo. I have stopped letting him out in the yard off leash b/c he will slurp it up like spaghetti. :yuk: I know gross! However, even on leash he will still try to pick up and eat these "tasty" nuggets when I'm not looking.

How can I get him to stop eating it?

First, pick it up immediately.. that's the best way to keep them from getting it.

hi one of the other memebers dogs did this,i think some people mentioned that dog food is so good now that there poo smells like dogs food.so i am not sure of the answer but our old dog did the same thing he was a lab he was awful as soon as he pood he would turn around and eat it,i found that waiting for him to go then picking it up straight away was the only thing that stopped him.once i put pepper on his poo that didnt stpo him either.so my remedy pick it up.

:yuk: Gack, it is gross isn't it. Our Sam used to do that, but thankfully eventually grew out of it. I never did find the cause, and changing his diet didn't seem to make any difference. Living on acres, picking up the poop was not easy because I could never be sure where he pooped, but his breath was always a giveaway. Even now, he enjoys fresh kangaroo & bunny poop. I think in his case it may be just a behavioural thing.

Anyway, I'll be watching this thread with interest.

It seems everyone's dogs have this problem!! Thank God, I am not the only one!! :sl*p: Even if I picked up after all five dogs in the back yard (quite a task in itself), what they really want is the damn cat poo!! I have two cats and I know the neighborhood cats party in my back yard at night so it would be impossible to regulate.
Since you only have one dog, there is this type of pill called "Deter" that you feed to them and it makes their poo takes awful (like crap, I would imagine :lol: ) That worked on cody when he ate his own poop. He transitioned to the cat poo so that went out the window. :roll:

i am lucky alfie doesnt eat is poo.but he does like bunny poo.i have seen him smelling his own poo i just take his att. away incase he does decide it looks good anough to eat.

A dog trainer that I worked with in the past said that when nothing else would work for her dog, someone suggested that she feed it a little pineapple. That ended up working for her. Evidently it doesn't come out tasting as good as it did when it went in. :yuk:

Since you only have one dog, there is this type of pill called "Deter" that you feed to them and it makes their poo takes awful (like crap, I would imagine

We have been giving him the Deter and somehow I think it makes him like it more.

We had snow on St. Pat's Day so anything that may have been on the ground was covered in ice and snow. Don't you know this little bugged poo'ed and before I could even try to picked it up he turned right around and slurped it up!! :yuk: :sl*p:

We have been getting better of keeping it picked up, but if there is even a trace of anything leftover he just goes nuts! I'll have to try the pineapple.

Crazy Mut! His only bad habit and it has to be this one. Maybe although with health certs we should be asking breeders about poo eating! :lol:

Shelby is a poop eater...but a discriminating one...she'll only eat her own :D My solution...pick it up as soon as she lays it down...the only deterent for her.

moniechris said:
It seems everyone's dogs have this problem!! Thank God, I am not the only one!! :sl*p: Even if I picked up after all five dogs in the back yard (quite a task in itself), what they really want is the damn cat poo!! I have two cats and I know the neighborhood cats party in my back yard at night so it would be impossible to regulate.
Since you only have one dog, there is this type of pill called "Deter" that you feed to them and it makes their poo takes awful (like crap, I would imagine :lol: ) That worked on cody when he ate his own poop. He transitioned to the cat poo so that went out the window. :roll:

Here's a visual for you... 7:00am and I'm outside with my down parka on over my pink nightgown. The hood is up to hide my hair that looks as though cats wrestled in it all night... in hand is my trusty pooper-scooper. I'm chasing around after four dogs picking up after them as they go. It's sure a good thing I live in the woods (kinda). Everyday I wonder if my neighbor can (and does) see me out there like a crazy woman! :sl*p:

I have two poo eaters and two who wouldn't consider the possiblity in a bazillion years. Bentley and Maggie both have the good sense to know that it is JUST WRONG. Ozzy and Clancy, on the other hand, consider it a wonderful dietary addition :yuk: :shock: . Those two boys are the reason I'm out there as described above. Clancy, to his credit, is learning that I DON'T want him to do that. Ozzy is incorrigible I'm afraid... sometimes he will "leave it" and sometimes he's too motivated :yuk: to go ahead even though I'm telling him NOT TO DO THAT!!! For me, immediate pickup is the thing that works best.

None of mine eat theirs or any dog's poops, but one in particular likes cat poops (guess who? :roll: ) and other types if available. :shock: Getting to the cat litter box is an obstacle course, as a result.

Okay, totally off topic, but what could be cooler than having kangaroos in your backyard??? :w*w:

I want to come visit you, Caraline!

Barb B said:
Okay, totally off topic, but what could be cooler than having kangaroos in your backyard??? :w*w:

I want to come visit you, Caraline!

I feel like I have died & gone to heaven here where I live. Yes we have whole families of kangaroos, also echidnas, some of the worlds most exotic & colourful birds, water dragons, goannas. We call it Frank & Caralines Ark

Okay, to make this post back on topic :badgrin: ...

I have heard from several sources that the pineapple works. I never did get to try it out on Sam though.

Must be the enzymes in the pineapple that make the poop distasteful - it's kinda like them rolling in something dead or rotten smelling. To them it's delightful, to us it's disgusting.

Our litter box has to stay up away from dog's reach, but John Robert had much rather go outside and the girls are always anxious to find some fresh treat he has left for them. We tried once putting garlic in the cat's food, had read somewhere that worked to keep dogs away from it. Our reality of that was that the cats wouldn't eat. So if nothing goes in, nothing comes back out!

The cat food is higher in protein - that's what I have been told is the reason that dogs are so interested in a kitty cigar.

Tibby won't poop if someone is watching her - such a modest lady. And our yard is full of mulch so sometimes it's hard to tell the forrest for the trees, unless someone (Sasha) decides to relieve herself on the pool deck.

We've tried to bring 'em up right and look what happens! Maybe check w/your vet to see if what you are feeding him is missing something he needs in his diet?

Barb B said:
I feel like I have died & gone to heaven here where I live. ...We call it Frank & Caralines Ark

Okay, to make this post back on topic :badgrin: ...
No I want you to stay off topic for a second :badgrin: How about you post some pictures of this wildlife exotic oasis! I want to see Kangaroos :D :jump: :snap:

My vet was telling me today that he had neutered a wallaroo last year. I'd love to have seen that!

We are saving our Frequent Flyer miles and have enough to go to Australia and back. I'd love to see all those animals!

Back