• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Blocked Tear Ducts ???

Roxanne

If any of you remember , when I was at the NO Cavalier show Colby was tested for CERF (passed) but while I was there I asked the opth. to look at his eyes due to his excessive tearing. He said his 3rd eyelid rolled in when he blinked,watch it for 4 months,if still tearing get seen by vet opthal here .Ok....its been 4 months and he still tears ....Opthal appt was today .

This opthamologist said he does not have entropian ( what the other one saw) and that he could have outgrown it in the 4 months ( which is why Dr Carter said to wait ) but that he DOES have excessive tearing .......normal is 15 ....... his results were 22 & 23 :? But ...... he said that there is no easy fix for this . He put the dye in his eye to see if the tear duct was blocked .......a little dye went into his nose ( good thing ) and some went in his mouth , and some leaked on his face . He said that he would start with flushing the ducts .......but he is not sure if it will work, or how long it will last ......but that would be a start . There is a risk of hemmorage of the eye if Colby would move but he said that this is not likely .....but that it COULD happen . We also talked about some other procedures .....none with great outcomes or a easy "fix" . He said there was also a surgery that the australians are doing where they remove the gland that produces a third of the tears .........works, but it could cause dry eye in about 50% of the dogs ...wow :( Also ............... the vet opthamologist that saw him at the show had told me to not let anyone flush the tearducts !!!! so now I dont know what the heck to do !!!! anyone have this done ? or know someone whose had it done ??

TIA !

Roxanne,

Our Australian board members often offer me great advice. I hope they see your thread and have heard something about blocked tear ducts.

Good luck,
Joanne

Back