• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Best Veggies and Fruits for Cavaliers

I don't think I know which are the best, but I'll tell you what tucker likes.

Carrots (he prefers cooked and chopped)
Green Beans (fresh, frozen or cooked one or two at a time)
Blueberries (a couple at a time, mixed in with cottage cheese)
Apples small pieces
Watermelon
Pumpkin canned

add to the above:

Strawberries
Slices of bell peppers (a favourite)
Broccoli stems (another favourite)
Slices of peach and pear
BANANA!
Frozen or fresh peas

I often put a handful of frozen green beans or mixed vegentables into their food. Often just as is, still frozen.

For the vegetable part of their diet, here's a product that I keep on hand -- Dr. Harvey's Veg-to-Bowl http://www.cleanrun.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=1730
This is their spiel about what it is:
Ingredients
Sweet Potatoes*, Carrots*, Diced Potatoes*, Zucchini*, Broccoli Florets*, Green Beans*, Peas**, Beets*, Parsley, Fennel Seed, Fenugreek Seed, Garlic, Ginger, Papaya Leaf and Peppermint Leaf

* Dehydrated ** Freeze Dried

Facts about Veg-To-Bowl

Veg-To-Bowl is all natural and 100% human consumption grade.

Veg-To-Bowl is free of all preservatives, additives, chemicals, coloring agents and dyes.

Veg-To-Bowl is free of sugar and salt.

Veg-To-Bowl contains no fillers, no corn, no wheat, no soy, no grain.

Veg-To-Bowl contains healthful ingredients which provide essential vitamins and minerals and digestive herbs that you can add daily to your companion dog’s diet.

You boil some water, remove from heat, add the veggies and let them steep to rehydrate, let cool, and then you have an easy way to add a varied bit of veggies to your dog's dinner. I rehydrate a cupful at a time and keep it in the refrigerator, doling out a couple of spoonfuls at a time.

This is stocked at a little independent pet store we patronize where they focus exclusively on high quality pet foods of various kinds. It's not particularly cheap, but a bag lasts a long time (depending on how many dogs you're feeding, of course!).

Not sure of best but there are some fruit and veg that you should avoid like grapes, sultanas and onion. I'm sure there are more but can't think right now. pays to look up though.

My men enjoy anything raw, they especially love fruits except green apple which they eat but then throw up as I think its too acidic so I stick to red.
They never ever touch mushroom though not sure if it is even allowed but whenever I drop a bit on the floor and things are normally vacumed in an instant they never bother with mushroom.

My cavs go crazy whenever we open the freezer, they love their frozen green beans or even a handful of peas, Gavin's not too fussed about veg although he will eat small amounts. Banana and Carrots are well received too but I haven't tried broccoli stems so i'll do that tomorrow :D

I don't know what is best, but this is a list of some, off the top of my head, that I give my guys:

Vegies (all fresh, no canned)
potato - cooked
pumpkin - cooked
brocolli
carrot
peas
beans
lettuce

Fruit
apple
banana
pear
strawberries

But, I really just give my dogs whatever fruit & veg we have in the house at the time, with the exception of those that are known to be problematic in dogs.

Are soybeans safe? I myself eat a lot of edamame (sp?), and I'm wondering if it's okay for Kingston. Edamame is considered a soybean right?

I've always gone by the rule to never give dogs people food. However I'm reading a lot on this board about feeding fruits and vegetables. Is there a reason for this and cavaliers?

I think in part it is because people have a habit of giving their dogs all the fat trimmings off their plate, left over pizza, out of date pies, mouldy out of date produce from the fridge etc. Then, personally I think the other part is pet-food-company propaganda, perpetuated by the vets because they get a spin-off from the products they sell.

These days however, there are lots of books around & of course wonderful forums like this one, where we can go to and become educated about what is a healthy diet for dogs.

A while back the BARF revolution probably got a lot of people thinking about home prepared foods, and even though I think it has primarily gone out of vogue, it still acts as a reference point for those who want to try home prepared, even if they don't want to go all the way down the BARF road.

I think the dog fanatics, like those of us who frequent forums icon_whistling tend to be fairly well educated about canine health & diet, and if we aren't, someone, or maybe everyone sets us right.

Thanks for your response. I have so much to learn. Its been 9 years since we last had a dog and it seems like so much has changed.

Does someone have a list of the harmful fruits and vegetables you are NOT suppose to feed? I know like onions and raisins, but wwas wondering what other ones are there?

My Vet advised me to subsitutue a cup of cooked carrots for one or two meals for Breeze. It was more for weight managment than anything else. In the morning she gets two cups of dry food and in the evening she gets one cup of dry and one cup of cooked carrots. She loves it, and it does help keep her weight in check, she only weight 140lbs!!! LOL

She is very large for a female Newfoundland. They usually top out at 120 lbs, but my vet is not concerned for she has a waist and she (I) can feel her ribs. Most of the carrots come out in her poop. They are used mostly for a filler, substitute.

Battie4 said:
Does someone have a list of the harmful fruits and vegetables you are NOT suppose to feed? I know like onions and raisins, but wwas wondering what other ones are there?

No onions, grapes or raisins. Garlic can become a problem if overfed, although most people feeding home prepared diets, who use garlic spaingly, see no problems.

Back