• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

problems with eyes

Super Princess

oliver seems to be prone to itchy eyes? im not sure, he rubs his face on the carpet, so much infact that the hair around his eyes ..it comes off.
we've taken him to the vet and he has ointment to apply when it flares up, but dose anyone else have this problem?

Super Princess said:
oliver seems to be prone to itchy eyes? im not sure, he rubs his face on the carpet, so much infact that the hair around his eyes ..it comes off.
we've taken him to the vet and he has ointment to apply when it flares up, but dose anyone else have this problem?
Chelsea, how old is Oliver, and are these new symptoms or has he always had this tendency? Are his eyes watery? Do you have to clean gunk from around his eyes?

I have a cavalier named India who has had eye problems that are now under control.

I'm trying to get an idea if Oliver has similar problems, before I tell India's story.

I will take and post a photo later on today of it, im acutally going to call my dad as well (hes up island) whos been dealing with it because since hteyre up island ive been dealing with it, and i notice the right one has puss.

I think that its ...ok you know where 'tear marks' geneerally are? it looks like theres cuts there? honestly i donno how to describe it, ither then it loose very sore and the poor guy isnt complaining, but theres got to be something other hten ointment to give him.

oliver is five, and hes gotten this..maybe three or four other timesi n his life. and its gotta be itchy cuz he just burys hisf ace in the carpet and drags it so im thinking htats where the 'cuts' (if htast what theyre are) are, he dosnt bleed, it just lookss ore and one is pussy.

but ill ask my dad..and ask htem to make a vet apointment.
and ill post ap icture of it tonight

Just an anecdote for what it's worth.

One time our dear departed Lhasa started rubbing his face on the carpet a lot, and it appeared he had an eye infection. I took him to the vet, who agreed that he had an eye infection and he gave us ointment, and we went home. After a few days, his eyes hadn't improved (he was wearing a cone by now to keep him from rubbing his face on the carpet) so we took him back to the vet. He was seen by a different vet in the office this time, who looked a little harder at him and noticed that he actually had some kind of skin infection just above his eyes on his head. He had a lot of long fur so you had to look carefully to find it. So it was the skin infection that was causing his eye problems, and it required a totally different treatment.

Anyhow, we went home with oral antibiotics this time, and it cleared right up.

For what it's worth.

My charlie girl once lost all the fur on her forhead :yikes it was very wet & smelly. it eventually got better when bathed with salt water.
I think if they have an area prone to being wet like round the eyes ( or the dent above the nose in shortnosed breeds) an infection can get a hold

It acutally sounds alot like what your describeing pat, im gonna wait till my parents come home tomroow and talk to them about getting him back into the bet.
it is hard to see cuz its under all the fur aroudn the eyes, but it defently looks invected, the poor thing..he dosnt seem to be in any pain..just rubbing his face on the carpet which would cause furtherdamage. :(

My cav, India, had always had watery eyes; she rubbed her eyes on the carpet and grass, and her face smelled from being constantly damp, even though I blotted the wetness with a Kleenex several times daily.

I took her to the vet and was told she had entropian, where her eye lashes were slightly turned in towards her eyes. I couldn't actually see the problem, but the vet used a magnifier instrument to diagnose it. When a dog has entropian it needs to be treated because it can lead to scratched corneas and blindness.

The vet did a laser procedure on her eyelids which required general anesthetic. Then we put an eye ointment on her eyes for several days. The treatment made a huge improvement - as she finally stopped rubbing her eyes.

We found that her eyes were still somewhat watery, and she was treated for two eye infections. When she was on antibiotic eyedrops her eyes seemed so perfect.

I asked the vet what I could do to help keep her eyes problem free. He told us that India's eyes are a little 'buggy' - they protrude a bit more than our other cavs - and can pick up dust and dirt more easily than the other two cavs. I have been giving India daily eye drops to clean her eyes - we use over-the-counter human eye drops Allergan Refresh Tears. This washes any dust out of her eyes and keeps them nice and clean. When they are clean, they don't water too much or smell!! :)

India actually lets me know when she needs her eye drops, so it must feel good on her eyes. ;)

Back