• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Face rubbing

PamH

In one of the posts I noticed that face rubbing was mentioned.
I notice that after Maddy has peed/pooped and before she goes in the house she first wipes her feet on the outside doormat and then rubs her face on it. It is a little bristly and maybe she likes the feel. She does not face rub any other time. But the post appeared to be saying that face rubbing was one sign of a problem so of course I am having all kinds of thoughts.
Does anyone know?
Pam

jadan does this after he has eaten...anything! maybe they use it as a napkin!! icon_whistling :D

Everyone of my dogs do this after they eat. Stewie even does it on the wood floors :roll: They each have there special spot where they rub like crazy then fall asleep.

Lots of small dogs face rub like this and most of the time it is just normal dog behaviour. With cavaliers, you would be looking for excessive rubbing snd usually on rough surfaces --along with other symptoms for either syringomyelia or PSOM. All my dogs like to rub their heads and then their bodies on the rug or out on lawns though so this is quite common.

If you want to view an SM dog doing more aggressive face rubbing and showing other common symptoms, watch the video of Chester on my SM website (link is in my sig).

All of mine rub their faces a little from time to time, which seems normal.

Geordie used to rub his face up and down the length of the sofa. I mentioned it to a veterinary dermatologist we were seeing for PSOM, and he took a skin scraping. The vet gave me something to wipe on Geordie's face for 2 weeks, and the face rubbing stopped completely.

If they are rubbing their eyes, you should definitely follow up with a vet.

My little stink bugs do it several times a day!! Mainly after dinner and especially after daddy's has given them their little taste of ice cream. I get such a kick out of watching them do it!!! I don't so much enjoy the eye boogers that get stuck on the couch :roll:

Back