• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Addison's Disease

Donald Duck

Hypoadrenocorticism is the medical term for Addison's Disease. It basically means that there is diminished or lowered hormone production from the outer part or cortex of the adrenal glads next to the kidneys.

Signs are vague and non-specific. They are often seen in animals with more common medical disorders such as chronic gastroenteritis or renal diseases. Vomiting and weight loss, a waxing and waning course with diarrhea and increased thrist/urination. Animals often improve with non-specific medical treatment but the signs soon return.

Luckily the vast majority of animals with Addison's Disease have a good to excellent prognosis once a diagnosis has been established and they have been treated with appropriate medication. The important thing to remember is that you know your pet best and if something seems wrong you should take him/her to the vet right away!

Thanks for this info. iI am glad he's eating and drinking a bit again;amazing how such small things can become so rewarding with an ill animal, when you never even thought about them before. I hope you get a diagnosis soon and can proceed with getting him back to his old self.

Thanks for the info and it's encouraging that with proper diagnosis the prognosis is good. Can't emphasis it enough....if you think something is wrong with your dog... CALL YOUR VET!!!

At the other end of the spectrum is Cushings, Pituitary and Adrenal types. Upset tums, loosing weight but eating loads, increased drinking, hair loss, muscle weakness etc can be the indicators. Pituitary Cushings is easier to treat that Adrenal. According to a Cushings list, some Vets have induced Addisons as it is apparently easier to deal with as different countries have different drugs licenced for use.

Arne said:
According to a Cushings list, some Vets have induced Addisons as it is apparently easier to deal with as different countries have different drugs licenced for use.

That was also on a list that I was a member of when I had one of mine with Cushings....I remember reading about it.

Alison.

Back