• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need Advice: Do we got to the vet?- Updated!

CVFlagg

My 3 year old has had a major personality change over the past two days. He has just been lying around, goes outside, pees and then comes right back in. He will no longer jump on or off of the couch, something he usually does several times daily. He also has not pooped since Friday night. He is eating fine and drinking as normal.

Do you think we need to go to the emergency vet or can I wait until tomorrow and take him in the morning?

I'd call the vets and ask. I would stop feeding him in case he has some type of obstruction as this will only make things worse.

If this is an obstruction, he could go under very quickly, just be aware of that. It is hard to give advice in a case like this -- you need to figure out how much you wish to risk versus why you would wish to hold off talking to a vet. To me a 'major' personality change and change in behaviour means I'd be reluctant to leave the dog a whole additional day, I'd be looking for a vet available on Sunday or at least, call and get professional advice. These are possible signs of a bowel obstruction but this could be any range of things. It sounds like there is pain if the dog is reluctant to move around. You know your dog best and how different this behaviour is.

Thank you for your advice. Sure enough, just 10 minutes after I typed this e-mail,, my ex-boyfriend should up and took him for a walk around the block and he went poop twice and has since pooped again! I am beinging to think he likes the ex better than me. I did notice there is some wood chips in the poop so I am thinking he probably got in to a stick at some time.

I also forget that he is out of his kennel all day on the weekends so he tends to be more tired. They are both sleeping on the couch right now. I think I am just going to watch and see and run him to the vet tomorrow if he is still down.

I did talk to a vet nurse and she said that as long as he is pooping at all, an obstruction is unlikely, but if he is still lethargic tomorrow we'll go see the vet. Thanks for your help!

Do, please, be careful about sticks, both as a plaything and as a 'snack'. There are threads, on here, discussing this topic.

I know, I went through the yard yesterday and removed all sticks big and small. I am taking him to the vet today at 11 (CST). He was just so lethargic and this morning both times I tried to pick him up he let out this loud yelp. I would just feel better knowing he is okay. Thanks!

Well of course, in true fashion we arrive at the vets and he is happy go lucky, jumping on everyone, sharing kisses and running around like a wild man. I swear I think my vet thinks I am crazy, I call all dramatic because he is not feeling well and then he gets there and he is a whole new dog! So frustrating.

The vet did say his anal glands were pretty full so that could have been why he was not wanting to poop, too much discomfort. They emptied those, does anyone know how often they should be emptied?

He pulled and poked and picked him up every which way and he did not make a peep. He said his extra weight (he's 20 lbs) right now might be causing some discomfort is his back, up and down off the couch. He suggested starting out with light 10 minute walks to get him used to exercising and then gradually increasing the time and distance. He also mentioned adding some addtional fiber to his diet so he feels "fuller" and is not so in to sticks, etc.

I feel much better now. I'm just one of those I would rather be safe than sorry people. I had a friend wait a day too long and she lost her pup and still can't forgive herself. Hopefully with some exercise and a better diet we will be good to go! Thanks for your concern!

Glad to hear that he is okay. Yeah I'd rather pay a vet bill to find out that everything is fine, than hang around waiting & then feel terrible because I didn't act soon enough.

Glad everything is fine.

Don't ever feel bad about going to the vet and find out it's a false alarm. First off, you aren't alone doing this; I can't count how many times we have gone to the vet to find out nothing is wrong. Secondly, you never know when there will be something wrong that can be easily fixed by getting in right away.

Back