• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

tips after neutering?

KimNIndy

so indy is off to the vets tomorrow morning to be neutered. poor little guy has no idea :(

he is also getting his umbilical hernia fixed and is being x-rayed for any spinal problems as a possible cause of the pain episodes he had a couple of months back. thank goodness he hasn't had any since.

i know that it's much easier for boys than girls but i was just wondering if anyone had tips or ideas of what to expect for his first day or two back.

i'm trying to be very relaxed as i know it's a simple routine procedure but i hate the idea of indy being put under :(

thanks!
k

As to neutering... they didn't even use any stitches on Beauregard... just super glue. He never even paid any attention to it. Elvis had a couple stitches, and he picked at them a few times. Not too much, and not enough to worry about. The hernia might be another matter.

KC

Our Charley had a hernia fixed when he was neutered, it wasn't a big deal.

We were just told to keep him quiet for a couple of days...he was pretty sleepy anyway....and to not jump due to the hernia.

We just lifted him onto the sofa or chair...he cried a fair bit the first night but when I called to ask about it, they said it was the effects of the drugs and that he'd stop in a few hours.

We didn't even need a "collar" for him....but I agree, I was always nervous about the anaesthetic. I think that's normal, cause you love him! :)

Hope Indy has a speedy recovery! He'll be fine....you might want a glass of wine!! Works for me!! :D

Jake was back to his normal pain in the a** self the next day....gotta love that boy :lol:

I've had a couple of rescues that had hernias done. Not a big deal for any of them. I never use the collars -- prefer a baby onesie/easygrow with a hole cut for the tail and that has always worked just fine. I unsnap it and roll it up like a little t-shirt to walk them/pet them relieve themselves. After about three to four days they don;t need it any more and have always left the stitches alone.

I don't know about the hernia, but for my boys when they were neutered it was all a non-event for them. They didn't even lick at the stitches. Just keep him quiet for a few days and make sure he doesn't lick or pick at the stitches (if he has them). Good luck hope it all goes well.

Some dogs handle this as if it were nothing, but other dogs do feel some discomfort that first day. With Pepper, we picked him up the same day, and at first he seemed fine, but after we got him home he yelped and made a bee-line for a corner under a table in the dining room and stayed under there whining and occasionally yelping for a long time. I called them back because I was so worried (and let them hear the sounds he was making!), but they said that he would definitely be much better by the next day (and I had pain pills to give him for the next three days). He'd had a shot of painkiller before being released, so there was nothing to be done for him at that point except hold a clean, cold compress over the area, and he really liked that.

His surgery had been at 10 am, and we picked him up at about 3 (they'd have kept him for an hour or so longer but we had a bad snow storm getting going, and we all wanted to be off the roads ASAP). Anyway, round about 10 pm it was as if someone had thrown a switch, and suddenly he didn't seem to be in pain any longer and he was ready to make some trouble. That was quite a relief.

We were told to keep him quiet for about a week while his surgical site healed, and that wasn't easy! We were also told that he would only need a collar if he seemed to want to lick himself "excessively." I erred on the side of caution--I didn't use the god-awful plastic cone collar, but bought an inflatable donut-shaped one which made it just awkward enough for him to reach his nether-parts that he didn't try often. He didn't seem to mind that type of collar at all. It also somewhat discouraged him from being too rambunctious, but only for a couple of days until he forgot he was even wearing the thing.

For Milly's spay, I used onesies on her and they worked like a charm. She had a hernia repair which was just an additional couple of stitches--no big deal added to a spay procedure.

I think on the boys, you want the onesies to be quite loose because the snaps may line up right where they've been operated on.

Karlin said:
I've had a couple of rescues that had hernias done. Not a big deal for any of them. I never use the collars -- prefer a baby onesie/easygrow with a hole cut for the tail and that has always worked just fine. I unsnap it and roll it up like a little t-shirt to walk them/pet them relieve themselves. After about three to four days they don;t need it any more and have always left the stitches alone.

That is the best idea I've heard in a long time!!
I don't like those cone collars and a onesie would be perfect...thanks for the tip.

KimNIndy ....how's Indy??
Did his surgery go well?

hi everyone---thanks for the tips and the wellwishes!

indy is back safe and sound and a tiny bit lighter ;) so he was in great spirits when we got him back wagging his tail and jumping up on the vet, but he's feeling a bit down and uncomfortable now and it's sad to watch him. he's ok, but you can tell that he's having a difficult time finding a comfortable position to lie in. so far his crate and my lap seem to suffice so that's good. i have the feeling that he'll be a bit stiff tomorrow and after that he'll be flying.

both testicles had descended---i'd imagine that makes things easier as they were external? our vet said he should be fine and he hasn't tried to lick at all so far, but if he does i'm going to try the onesies...great idea! indy's had the 'collar' before and he was so depressed he refused to move for the first day. he wouldn't even sit without us helping him.

thanks again and i'm hoping he'll get through the night ok....it was sad reading about pepper and charlie hurting. glad to hear that everyone's boys have bounced back with ease!

k

Back