• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dog Name Sites?

Julie S

What a funny request. ;) My hubby thinks I'm insane! :lol: Since we may be looking into the possibility of getting a boy (we'll be deciding on the SPOT in 2 weeks!) ... I realized that I can barely think of ANY boy names I like. :|

I need to find a website devoted solely to dog names ... the ones I've found by googling are cheesy at best. Oh, and the boy names we're considering are: Scout, Jack, Spencer ... I know there are more but can't think of them right now. For a girl: Elle. ;)

I don't know websites but I like to think of characters names from films (my rabbits are called Merry and Pippin!), books, cartoons, mythical stories etc. Best of luck!

Here's a website I looked at when trying to come up with names for a pup. I love the names Scout and Jack.

Julie I was the same way!! I knew a girl would be Ellie no questions but a boy was so much harder to find out a name. I can give you my names if you want. I have names chosen for different colors. For a Blen I was thinking Bailey, Jasper, or Ozzy

molly said:
Here's a website I looked at when trying to come up with names for a pup. I love the names Scout and Jack.

I think the website url didn't come through. Try it again - I'm so curious!

Jasmine: I like Bailey, but I've seriously seen so many dogs named Bailey (m and f) and I don't want to be redundant. ;)

Julie,
Are there certain letters that you like? Eg. we already have a bunny named "Baxter". So, we wanted our dog to have a "B" name, for alliteration purposes (Baxter and Bianca). For girl dogs, there weren't many choices, which is why we wound up with Barkleigh Bianca! To be honest, I looked a lot at the baby names because I generally liked those; there are sites all over the web. Plus, it's fun to get an idea of the 'origin' behind the name. We wanted something with English origin, but it's downright hard with girl B's....
:flwr: -Natalie

Here's a good dog/cat name site. I also use baby name sites.
http://www.cat-dog-names.com/

We also used the breeders naming conventions for Bella. For example, our breeder named many of her dogs after cars. She also had a special name for each litter...like "Bunnies" and then names of dogs in the litter could be Harvey, Bugs, well, I'm not being very creative, but you get the idea. :)

Anyway, Isabella Bugatti got her name because I am Italian and love the name Isabella (and it's meaning). My husband picked the second part because he loves cars, and Bugatti is one of his favorite Italian car manufacturers. Of course we just call her Bella, but boy does she know to behave when she hears her full name!

Our new puppy will be named along the same lines...Italian first, Italian sports car 2nd.

Scouty girl said:
Of course I vote for the name Scout. It makes a good girls name also.

It DOES make a good girls' name! In fact, do you think it's TOO girly???? ;) I'm worried. It's such a cute girl name because of "To Kill a Mockingbird" - do you guys think most people think of a female when they hear Scout?

Thanks all for the suggestions; keep 'em coming!

Julie S said:
Scouty girl said:
Of course I vote for the name Scout. It makes a good girls name also.

It DOES make a good girls' name! In fact, do you think it's TOO girly???? ;) I'm worried. It's such a cute girl name because of "To Kill a Mockingbird" - do you guys think most people think of a female when they hear Scout?

Thanks all for the suggestions; keep 'em coming!

That is my all time favourite book!

What about Atticus or Radley?

Whoooops! Sorry! I forgot to put the link in. Must be old timers disease. :badgrin: :badgrin: Here it is.

http://www.bowwow.com.au/index.asp

The website is from a company that makes dog/cat tags. They use the names people order tags for! Try their searches on the left. Fun. I like that you can also find the most popular names in several countries.

Another way to get some good name suggestions is to have a contest with your friends and family. Send then an email attaching a photo of your puppy and ask for suggestions. Anyone who suggests a winning name gets a dinner on you. We did that and got some really good suggestions.

I dont know any websites but holly was going to either be a gradie, darcy, or pippa but we got her on xmas eve so it had to be holly :)

Whoops I haven't been keeping up with my emails. No I don't think Scout is too femine. That's a name that goes both ways

Back