• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

color genetics question

Azriel

hi all-
not sure if this is the right place to post this but its worth a try. i figure all the breeders on this board would know. i am wondering about cavalier color genetics. i saw the link to the french site but was more confused by it because it shows four different alleles. i was under the impression that there was one allele for balck/tan vs ruby and one for whole colour vs particolour. and between those, i was under the impression that black/tan is dominant to ruby adn whole is dominant to parti, but i am not sure. would anyone be able to please clarify this for me. many thanks.

Black is dominant over red
solid coats are dominant over broken ( white marks)

They have 2 genes from each parent , one for colour & one for pattern ( wholecolour or broken)

You get a red and/or black gene from both parents ** you get a parti and/or solid gene from both parents

Black is dominant over red-- so a ruby and a blenheim can HIDE no black genes. A black/tan and a tri can hide the red.

Solid is dominant over parti-- same idea-- a tri or blenheim can't hide the solid gene. A ruby or bl/tan CAN hide the parti

BB shows black. bb shows red.Bb looks black but carries red.

BB with BB gives only BB (black)
bb with bb gives only bb (red)
BB with bb gives only Bb (black carrying red)
BB with Bb gives BB (black) and/or Bb (black carrying red)
bb with Bb gives bb (red) and/or Bb (black carrying red)
Bb with Bb gives BB (black) and/or bb (red) and/or Bb (black carrying red)

There are lots of alleles for white 'spotting' , in different breeds. For instance one gives the distinctive white markings on face and legs, but solid colour over the back. We think of a dog having red markings on white, but, in fact, the white 'intrudes ' on the colour.

W is the dominant allele, for no white.w (can't put in the little s) for our breeds white markings

WW is a wholecolour
ww is a particolour
Ww ia a wholecolour carrying white.

so ,as above

WW with WW gives wholecolour(WW)
ww with ww gives particolour(ww)
WW with ww gives wholecolour carrying white (Ww)
WW with Ww gives wholecolour (WW) and/or wholecolour carrying white(Ww)
ww with Ww gives wholecolour carryiing white (Ww) and/or particolour (ww)
Ww with Ww gives wholecolour (WW) and/or wholecolour carrying white (Ww) and or particolour (ww)

Combining these
BBWW is a black and tan (dominant)
BBWw is a black and tan carrying white
BbWW is a black and tan carrying red
BbWw is a black and tan carrying red and white.
bbWW is a ruby (pure)
bbWw is a ruby carrying white

bbww is a blenheim
Bbww is a tricolour carrying red
BBww is a dominant tricolour

For example crossing two BbWws ie two black and tans who carry white and red can give

BBWW (black and tan)
BBww (tricolour)
BBWw (black and tan)
bbWW (ruby)
bbww (blenheim)
bbWw (ruby)
BbWW ( black and tan)
Bbww (tricolour)
BbWw (black and tan)

ie all combinations

Very nice Ms. Nixon :flwr:

Cavaliers are generally an easy breed to plot color. At least with the allowed colors.

woohoo! thanks so much for all the fantastic replies. that clears things up a lot. also, when i went back to the french site, they use four allele markers (letters) instead of using the lower case and upper case to show the two alleles (variations ) of each gene. but they still use upper and lower case for some reason, that's what was confusing me the most. now i am less confused! thanks oodles for all the great help!

There are different 'w's with a tiny letters joined, depending on the type of white marking, but I couldn't add the tiny 's'.

Back