• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Coat Question

joanna

Hi all, Twinkle was due to be spayed in January but came into heat a few days before the op and we had to cancel. We are looking at rescheduling shortly but she is right in the middle of blowing her puppy coat. Her coat looks gappy and awkward and I'm worried spaying her right now will effect the development of her adult coat. I was wondering if any of the breeders here could tell me if it should make a difference?

Thanks (y)

Just bumping this up.

Sorry, I wish I could give you some advice, but I don't know. Hopefully someone on here can help you out.

I read your post the other day, too, and have no expertise in the matter. I hope someone here does.

BUT, I think it's highly unlikely that the development of her coat will be affected by being spayed now. I've read that it is typical for a dog to "blow her coat" just prior to or with the onset of her heat cycle. I suspect that it will continue to grow in normally.

I don't think it makes any difference at all -- didn't make any difference to my boys. Just keep in mind dogs can come into heat any time and have a habit of not sticking to schedules (eg coming in again after 3 months or 5 months or 6 months or 8 months).

More important: she raises her risk factor by a very significant degree for mammary tumours by not being spayed before her next heat. She will jump from the 7% lifetime risk she now has to a whopping 25% risk simply by going into heat again so I would get this done sooner, not later, regardless ofher coat.

I think alot of vets recommend waiting for a while (8 wks. or so) after a heat cycle to build back up the hormone levels before the spay. I am sure your vet would be able to advise you when the ideal time would be.

Back