• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anyone take their cavs to day care?

aleethomas

How do they do? Do they seem to like it?

Padden's been twice now. I'm not sure how much she likes it though. They said that she plays a little bit but other times just stares off into space! They said she should get better the more I bring her but I just don't know. She likes playing with other dogs but would rather be chasing or chewing a ball. When we go there she always runs inside but looks so pitiful when they pick her up to take her back. When I pick her up after work she jets to the car. (I take her mid week to break up her time alone at home).

Just curious to what your experiences have been!

I take Riley to daycare once or twice a week. Started it when he was about 6 months old. He LOVES it! But then again he has always been outgoing and he adores other dogs. Since he is the only dog we have, I feel that he needs to have time with other dogs to play and socialize. I plan on keeping it up as long as I can afford it.
Padden may get better as she goes more often. Also, not all daycare places are the same; sometimes you have to find one that has the atmosphere that works for you and her. (it helps if they have the little cameras installed so you can see what she is doing while there) ;) So that's my input, hope it helps a little. :)

Winston and his GSD older sister Kelsey go to daycare 4 days a week. They say he plays all day with the other puppies/dogs and he comes home happily exhausted, which is a good thing! I travel a lot, so it's important to me that whether I'm in town or not he has scheduled playtime and socialization. It's also been a great help for housetraining!

Doggy Day care works great, if you can afford it. Especially for puppies and younger dogs, who needs lots of socialization and watching that they do not get into trouble. When Pippin & Merry were younger, they went to day care 5 days a week while I was at work. They did fine with the Bordertella (kennel cough) vaccine. No problems, but be aware that they could still get kennel cough. The vaccine doesn't protect against all strains of the virus. However, when Pippin did get a cough it was very mild and only lasted a few days. Not the full blown kennel cough, so I think the vaccine protected him.

In 2005 I purchased my parents home and my parents live with me. They are retired and are often home with the dogs, so they are not alone very much. So I didn't need daycare anymore. But when I got Jolly (a puppy), I didn't want my parents to deal with all the puppy problems.

Currently with Jolly, he goes 5 days a week to doggy day care, while I am at work.

I highly endorse a daycare situation, if you cannot be home with a cavalier. They crave the affection of others and daycare is a great experience for your dog.

I would love to send Phoebe to doggy day care but I don't think it exists here.
However, she is very happy alone in the house. I teach so my hours are not as long as others but she does a good 7+ hours without me and sleeps her way through it(I've spied!!)
Give it a while if it's what you want but if you feel she's not happy then take her out. They like time out alone for sleep catch up. Just beware she will be full of beans when you get home!!!

I learned a lot in this thread - thanks!

Interesting that Padden is shy at doggie daycare. Could just be that she's still a pup and not confident enough yet to really interact with all the other (bigger!) dogs. I'm sure going regularly to this daycare will help her socialization.

I'm planning on taking our pup to a special puppy daycare for 1 or 2 days a week for a few months, and then we'll see what happens. I found a place in our area that separates the puppies from the full-grown dogs, then slowly integrates them together as the weeks go by. I think this sounds like a really cool idea.

it sounds like padden might just be adjusting to being with other dogs. i'm sure she'll enjoy it more as she adjusts.

where do you take her to daycare?

k

I'm not sure exactly what this dog daycare is, but don't you worry about yr dog getting attacked by another?

mishmosh said:
I'm not sure exactly what this dog daycare is, but don't you worry about yr dog getting attacked by another?

They should be closely supervised at all times. Also, most places will insist upon thoroughly interviewing dogs before letting them into their program.

Yep, around here the place we're going to (after Bianca is spayed) has an "interview" session with your dog and you, to see how s/he does around other dogs and is not aggressive, etc. Ours also has a 'videocam' which you can log into when you're at work to see how your pup is doing. If they're sleeping the whole time, maybe you can save your money and let 'em sleep at home instead! But our dog LOVES other dogs and I think she'll have a great time... :flwr: -Natalie
PS it's essentially the same price as a dog walker around here...
Also, our daycare has a 'toys only' playgroup for smaller dogs only...

We brought Huey to daycare and he loved it! So much so he wore himself out! It's not like he caught something there, we took him to a really nice place where he got tons of personal attention, we could watch him on a webcam and he even got a report card at the end of the day! He just played so hard that when his little body got sick he couldn't shake it. He's only 10 monthes old so our vet thinks we should wait until he's a little older.

What is doggy day care? Here is how it is explained by the place my dogs attend:

http://canineandcompany.com/daycare.htm

The place I go accesses the dog and decides which play group to go in. It is not just big dog or little dog group, it also is based on the dog's temperament. So it is more like gentle group and rough group. Most of Jolly's playmates are small like him, but there are a few gentle giants that are in his group. They are bigger, but gentle and sweet natured.

where do you take her to daycare?

I take her to Piedmont Bark
http://www.piedmontbark.com/ for the time being. We are on a waiting list at Wag-a-lot
http://www.wagalot.com/ where I hope to eventually get in because she loves playing with another dog in our building that goes there.

At all places here they have an interview process where someone stays with her throughout the day and helps adjust her to the other dogs. There is suppose to be someone that stays with the group through out the day to monitor them. They also don't let dogs come in after a certain time so it doesn't disrupt the pack that has formed. They also form different groups depending on activity level, size, temperment etc.

I actually just dropped her off again today and when we got inside she couldn't stop wiggling. She was so excited. Although she kept jumping up on my leg. Oh well, I think if she hated she would make me drag her inside.

She comes home extremelly tired & falls asleep immediately. She's usually tired for the next day too!

Back