• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pet Insurance covering CKCS in the US?

RockNRollCav

A few months ago, many CKCS owners were raving about a pet insurance that covers all of the cavs' typical health problems at a reasonable price, with very friendly customer service, etc. At that time (around December), I looked into them, but they were not yet available in Virginia. I'm interested in checking into them again, but have since forgotten the name of the company. Does anyone know which company I'm talking about?

Thanks!! :)

Jenni

Hi Jenni,

It's Petplan and they are now available in Virginia- www.gopetplan.com. The coverage levels are much higher than PetCare but they seem to cover the same things. Spencer has PetCare and I've been pleased (made two claims- knee surgery and MRI) but I'm almost out of money left for those two illness categories.

Take care,

Whitney

I want to look into insurance for our Cavs, is this (PetPlan) the company everyone would recommend, or is there another company that's recommended? How much can we expect to spend for 2 dogs? This is all new to me so any help is appreciated!

Which plan would you recommend??? I went to their web-site and they have several plans from which to choose. Is Pet Care better than VPI, Veternary Pet Insurance??? I am so glad this question was asked because I am interested in an insurance as well. Thanks for any information.

I have PetCare for both of mine. Much better than VPI. VPI was very frustrating to deal with....they excluded everything! Keep in mind.....nothing that is pre-existing is covered.

Cathy what plan would you recommend? Do they offer multiple pet discount? I really have no grasp on how insurance works or what all the lingo means, so any help is much appreciated!

I'll have to look up my info and let you know what I have. I paid about $70/month for both of mine.

Wow I wish we had cover like this here in Australia. Our so-called pet insurance is a joke, hardly covering anything. They exclude everything that is a known problem within the breed, anthing that could be attributed to genetics, and then there is a cap on how much you can get back per claim & a cap on how much you can claim per year. Most annoying of all is that you can not get a list of exactly what those exclusions are, so in the end, we haven't got a clue at all about exactly what we are covered for. So unfortunately my dog insurance is simply a terrifyingly huge limit on the credit card.

Kelly, we have the Quick Care Gold. There's a $50 deductible (but I think it may go to $100 on our anniversary date in Oct.) and we have coverage up to $3,000 per illness category.

Whitney do they cover the examination fee and stuff??

I feel kind of lucky to have my insurance. I pay $70/both dogs every month but if they get sick I pay for the exam fee (around $60) and they cover 90% of every other cost up to $20,000.

I'm really thanking the Lord right now that I have that plan because I don't know if Kosmo will need surgery for his leg or not :eek:

I think if the exam fee is related to a "condition" you claim then they'll cover that. But I've only submitted the *big* expenses- MRI and knee surgery. My feeling is that I'd pay for the exams even if I didn't have insurance so I want to save my reimbursements for major things.

I, too, have QuickCare Gold, with $100 deductible (I think), 90% coverage up to $3000 per category, $36K lifetime. It costs about $40/month.

I have been considering switching to 70% coverage up to $6K per cat, $72K lifetime. Cost is about the same, I think. I don't know if it's possible to do that... or if you then have to wait 30 more days for the coverage to be effective.

My initial 30 days is effective today, so obviously I haven't used it yet and couldn't tell you if I'm satisfied with the service, but it sure is piece of mind.

Anyway, a little more info for you. :)
-laura

I've had PetCare Insurance for about three years. But, I think I'm going to switch over the PetPlan because of the higher maximums and lower premiums. The only draw back is that my Golden's allergies will most likely be excluded. But then, the vet hasn't done much for them anyway. I'm controlling it through diet and some alternative methods.

PetCare is a good company and has been great about reimbursements and customer service--but PetPlan is better all around, I think.

Back