• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

She's doing it!!

Moviedust

I have been so excited that I have to say something on the boards:

Willow has been playing with a toy independently!

What's the big deal?? Willow is our Lucky Star rescue, and toys don't seem to interest her a great deal. Every now and then she'll play tug-o-war with Cedar, but it's an on-and-off sorta deal and Cedar is always in charge. She'll chew now and then on a rope, but it's not play.

However, over the weekend I picked up some of those mini-tennis balls. We've had them before, but Cedar always looses them.

Willow has actually been playing with one of these balls last night and again today. She was so excited with her play--pouncing on the ball, pawing, and biting--that the ball rolled under the entertainment center. She actually spun around and around until she got Dad's attention. He got the ball for her and she played some more!! And when nasty Cedar steals the toy, Willow actually goes and gets the other ball that Cedar abandoned!!

I know it sounds silly with little puppies playing with toys almost from day 1, but at almost 2 Willow has finally played on her own with a toy. It's a big deal in our house--its time for a celebration!

YAAYYY for Willow!! :rah: :rah:

Sounds like she is adjusting great Cindy!! :)

Glad things are going well for them!! :pi*no: :w**h**: :w*w: :mexwav: :jmp2: :lpy: :lotsaluv: :dogwlk:

Good Job Willow!!!! cl*p

Tucker loves those mini-tennis balls. Try giving it a soft bounce in the house, if you haven't already. Just make sure she's not going to crash into anything in her pursuit of the ball. I'm amazed at Tucker's ability to catch the ball in his mouth (of course) after one bounce. The balls often roll under the TV cart here too, I keep a swiffer duster mop nearby, I dust underneath while fishing out the balls! Another game we like to play is "there's a dog in the house" he runs and gets a ball, and brings it to me, I toss it down the hall, and he runs at top speed to retrieve it. Whenever anyone comes to visit me, Tucker greets them at the door with a ball in his mouth.

That's such great news; she is really relaxing into your home now. :) Those mini tennis balls are a real favourite around here too; they are perfect cavalier (and cat!) size. I get them cheaply from www.petedge.com.

Thanks! I knew folks on the boards would understand the excitement!

Karlin: I just picked these up at WalMart. Just under 2 dollars for 2 balls.

Joanne: Willow hasnt figured out to chase a toy we throw. She just looks at us like we're stupid for throwing the toy and then sitting there. Duh. Cedar, on the other hand, is a toy fiend. Fetch is her middle name. She likes the balls, too, but she hasnt figured out how to catch the ball (even on a bounce). I think they are just too big for her. Even though they are miniballs, she's a mini cavalier! She can carry them when she can use the floor to shove it in, but she can't catch it. She can, however, get the ball on her own if it goes under the entertainment center or sofa. She uses her paws just like a cat!

Good for her!!!!!! Woo-hoo!!!

I can't even think about what her life must have been like before. :cry*ing: Thank goodness she has you now in a loving, happy home.

WOW!!! That's SO BIG! Way to go Willow. She has come so far. And that's due to the love and affection she gets in your home. TERRIFIC!

Cindy - not silly at all!!! I got goosebumps reading it because I know that is a milestone!! Good for you and Willow. Many more happy playing days ahead!

I can almost see your smile over seeing your rescue dog playing. To keep it going you might want to look for a toy Kodee has. Its like the hide a squirrel - but is a soft fabric box with 4 balls inside. She loves this to death and amuses herself a good 3 or 4 times a day for at least 15 min each time. She carries one and softly pushes the other with her foot. She tries to get all four in someway; like one in mouth, one under paw, one under chin and looses it trying to figure out how to get the 4th :lol:

This probably applies more to puppies but it might also help with your dog. The box had a blurb about how your slippers, socks etc are not more interesting to a dog than toys - its the fact they have your scent. It suggested putting toys in the bottom of your dirty laundry basket :yuk: to make them more appealing to your dog. I know, it sounds not nice but hey I can confirm it works! I also hide bits of cookies, , her booda bone, liver leather type treats in the cube with the balls - that gets her digging to get them out. Plus it provides the advantage they smell good to her.

Great news it is a loverly feeling when they play my Sam has started to play with Barney so I know how you are feeling
go for it Willow that is the way

:jump:
Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney----Sam)

Moviedust said:
I know it sounds silly with little puppies playing with toys almost from day 1, but at almost 2 Willow has finally played on her own with a toy. It's a big deal in our house--its time for a celebration!

It doesn't sound silly at all. That's so great that Willow is starting to play.

We've had our 2 rescues for about 4 months now and they still don't really play. Occasionally they will chase each other - especially out in the garden, it's such a joy to watch. The other day Bella took a toy that I just bought (not for her!) out of a shopping bag - it is a Dora the explorer doll and started to play with it. I was so excited to see her throwing Dora round the place! She got bored after 2 minutes though.

That's lovely. Can you get Critters over there ? They seem to have disappeared from Pets at Home , over here. Many cavaliers love them. They are the furry balls with tails. I think it's the small size and wriggly tail that appeals.

Fantastic News. b*n*n* b*n*n* :jump:

Delighted to hear Willow is playing on her own. What a huge milestone. Just shows she is feeling happy and confident in her new home!!!

Cindy, that's wonderful news. I actually cried with happiness the first time one of my puppy farm rescues started to play with a toy. Her usual stance was to lie on my youngest son's bed with a cuddly toy positioned as if she was feeding it - obviously all she'd known. So yeah, I can understand your happiness - Go Willow :rah: :pi*no: b*n*n* :*nana: :fool: :hug:

:w**h**: Cindy, fetching will come next, I'm sure! It took a few more months for us - now Chocolate fetches consistently with the other two.

Back