PDA

View Full Version : Typical Costs- SM & MVD

Gracie's Mommy
30th March 2007, 02:41 PM
I'm working on getting insurance for Gracie through Embrace Pet Insurance. You can customize your annual maximum, deductible and co-pay. The annual max choices are $2,000, $5,000 and $10,000. There's also an additional Continuing Care Extension that covers ongoing genetic/chronic conditions. The annual limit for continuing care is 25% of the annual max. I'm also most likely going to pick up the prescription drug and dental extension.

So, I'm wondering about typical costs for the treatment of SM and MVD.
- What is the typical cost for diagnosis of SM/MVD?
- Costs for SM surgery?
- Annual costs for prescription meds for SM/MVD?

Anything else you can think of...just want to make sure we get enough coverage, but within our budget, as well. I was thinking about getting the $5,000 annual limit which would give me $1,250 for continuing care each year, in addition to the $5,000 for new conditions. Does this seem reasonable?

Molly's mom
30th March 2007, 05:09 PM
Molly's MRI and diagnosis (neurologist consult) was $1425

Her surgery was estimated at $2800-3400 but actual bill was $3200
That was at Cornell University, a private practice neurologist estimated $3500-4000.

Because of post surgical complications (from muscle/nerve healing not the decompression surgery) we have had approx $2000 in unexpected expenses. And we are not done yet. Not to mention gas, food and lodging.

Medications have thus far run me about $300 give or take.

I have Petcare insurance and unfortunately not even thinking about SM at the time, took out a $3000 capped policy. It's certainly been better than nothing.

Hope this helps, I would get as much coverage as you can afford, especially if you are concerned about SM and think if faced with it you might opt for surgery.

Alison_Leighfield
30th March 2007, 05:10 PM
Get the best/highest cover that you can.

There can be nothing worse than getting half way through a major illness or a treatment and running out of cover.... :yikes .... it all soon adds up with something big like SM which is ongoing and expensive, especialy when you start to think about any possible surgery/treatment for anything else on top of that.

Alison.

Karlin
30th March 2007, 08:02 PM
Carefully check whether this insurer will cover MVD and SM though!! The majority do NOT cover genetic/inherited conditions. Ask them specifically about these two and also be aware that an insurance company can change its policies any time.

I have a feeling SM will likely eventually be excluded from all pet insurance for CKCS (eg be an automatic exclusion) -- research indicates SM is widespread and getting more severe, while costs for treating it are very high, and companies tend to watch such trends carefully. It may be a few years before this happens or maybe companies will be willing to cover it as long as the policy cost is sufficient.

Gracie's Mommy
30th March 2007, 08:56 PM
Molly's Mom-- Thanks! You're cost detail was very useful in convincing my husband that the $10,000 annual max isn't way overboard. Sorry to hear that you have the PetCare $3,000 limit. That is the very policy I planned to get before I came across Embrace.

Alison-- I know you are right, as well! Sometimes it seems difficult to justify the cost, but I know it could be VERY worth it in the not to distant future.

Karlin-- I narrowed my choices down to PetCare or Embrace based on the fact that both ofer coverage for genetic/hereditary conditions. Here is the Embrace policy on genetic conditions:
http://www.embracepetinsurance.com/Content/Compare/OurPolicy/genetic-coverage.aspx
I believe that the key thing with this policy is to buy the continuing care extension. Otherwise, the condition would only be covered in the first year/policy period, but not the next. I have not asked specifically about SM and MVD, however. As I am a bit concerned that Gracie is displaying early SM symptoms, I didn't want to have any mention of it in my correspondence with them....not sure about the best way to handle that.

Right now, I have tentatively decided on the $10,000 annual limit, 10% copay, $200 deductible with prescription/dental and continuing care. This costs $46/month before microchipping or spay. After that, it will be closer to $40/month.

Maxxs_Mummy
31st March 2007, 03:55 PM
Lindsay,

I have only just seen this thread but I think you are very wise to go for the higher cover. I have always gone for the maximum amount of cover that I could find. OK, so your monthly payments might be a little higher but it's easier to find a few extra $'s every month than a few 1000 if things go wrong!

Let's hope Gracie never needs the $10,000 worth of cover but at least you now know that it's there if she does :flwr: