View Full Version : Typical Costs- SM & MVD

Gracie's Mommy
30th March 2007, 03:41 PM
I'm working on getting insurance for Gracie through Embrace Pet Insurance. You can customize your annual maximum, deductible and co-pay. The annual max choices are $2,000, $5,000 and $10,000. There's also an additional Continuing Care Extension that covers ongoing genetic/chronic conditions. The annual limit for continuing care is 25% of the annual max. I'm also most likely going to pick up the prescription drug and dental extension.

So, I'm wondering about typical costs for the treatment of SM and MVD.
- What is the typical cost for diagnosis of SM/MVD?
- Costs for SM surgery?
- Annual costs for prescription meds for SM/MVD?

Anything else you can think of...just want to make sure we get enough coverage, but within our budget, as well. I was thinking about getting the $5,000 annual limit which would give me $1,250 for continuing care each year, in addition to the $5,000 for new conditions. Does this seem reasonable?

Molly's mom
30th March 2007, 06:09 PM
Molly's MRI and diagnosis (neurologist consult) was $1425

Her surgery was estimated at $2800-3400 but actual bill was $3200
That was at Cornell University, a private practice neurologist estimated $3500-4000.

Because of post surgical complications (from muscle/nerve healing not the decompression surgery) we have had approx $2000 in unexpected expenses. And we are not done yet. Not to mention gas, food and lodging.

Medications have thus far run me about $300 give or take.

I have Petcare insurance and unfortunately not even thinking about SM at the time, took out a $3000 capped policy. It's certainly been better than nothing.

Hope this helps, I would get as much coverage as you can afford, especially if you are concerned about SM and think if faced with it you might opt for surgery.

30th March 2007, 06:10 PM
Get the best/highest cover that you can.

There can be nothing worse than getting half way through a major illness or a treatment and running out of cover.... :yikes .... it all soon adds up with something big like SM which is ongoing and expensive, especialy when you start to think about any possible surgery/treatment for anything else on top of that.


30th March 2007, 09:02 PM
Carefully check whether this insurer will cover MVD and SM though!! The majority do NOT cover genetic/inherited conditions. Ask them specifically about these two and also be aware that an insurance company can change its policies any time.

I have a feeling SM will likely eventually be excluded from all pet insurance for CKCS (eg be an automatic exclusion) -- research indicates SM is widespread and getting more severe, while costs for treating it are very high, and companies tend to watch such trends carefully. It may be a few years before this happens or maybe companies will be willing to cover it as long as the policy cost is sufficient.

Gracie's Mommy
30th March 2007, 09:56 PM
Molly's Mom-- Thanks! You're cost detail was very useful in convincing my husband that the $10,000 annual max isn't way overboard. Sorry to hear that you have the PetCare $3,000 limit. That is the very policy I planned to get before I came across Embrace.

Alison-- I know you are right, as well! Sometimes it seems difficult to justify the cost, but I know it could be VERY worth it in the not to distant future.

Karlin-- I narrowed my choices down to PetCare or Embrace based on the fact that both ofer coverage for genetic/hereditary conditions. Here is the Embrace policy on genetic conditions:
I believe that the key thing with this policy is to buy the continuing care extension. Otherwise, the condition would only be covered in the first year/policy period, but not the next. I have not asked specifically about SM and MVD, however. As I am a bit concerned that Gracie is displaying early SM symptoms, I didn't want to have any mention of it in my correspondence with them....not sure about the best way to handle that.

Right now, I have tentatively decided on the $10,000 annual limit, 10% copay, $200 deductible with prescription/dental and continuing care. This costs $46/month before microchipping or spay. After that, it will be closer to $40/month.

31st March 2007, 04:55 PM

I have only just seen this thread but I think you are very wise to go for the higher cover. I have always gone for the maximum amount of cover that I could find. OK, so your monthly payments might be a little higher but it's easier to find a few extra $'s every month than a few 1000 if things go wrong!

Let's hope Gracie never needs the $10,000 worth of cover but at least you now know that it's there if she does :flwr: