PDA

View Full Version : newbie question re: puppia

gramercy girl
30th March 2007, 04:03 PM
So I can see that the Puppia harness is very popular on this board!! Can someone tell me what they like about them?? How are they in comparison with other harnesses?

I'm asking because before I found this board, I bought a regular harness at Canine Styles... She's doing well with it, but now I'm just wondering about the advantages w/ the Puppia... Should I go out and buy one... or two... or three? :lol:

Thanks, fellow shop-a-holics!

:dogwlk:

moniechris
30th March 2007, 04:36 PM
I like them because they are soft and don't put pressure around the neck. Also I have noticed that they don't dig in behind their front legs like alot of harnesses do.

But really...It is vanity!!! :jump: They are so darn cute and come in such great colors!!!! :lol:

nursejess80
30th March 2007, 05:07 PM
The puppia isn't as rough as a pure nylon harness. It has a little give to it, and it just seems that Ruby is very comfortable in it. It's easy to put on and take off, and you can't deny how cute it is!! The first time we went to the vet, Ruby was wearing it, and he said that one of his patients was a Westie or Schnauzer or something like that and that it had rubbed a lot of it's hair off due to pulling against a regular harness. I gave him the info about the puppia so he could tell the dog's mommy about it. One warning though... we had a small for Ruby when we got her, and it was HUGE on her at first. She's now grown into it, and I'm actually looking to buy a medium one. When she first started wearing it, she would get her paw pulled out and stuck and be hopping around freaking out. She also almost came completely out of the back of it one time when she wasn't in the mood to be on the leash and was pulling backwards. Just be cautious and always watch your pup when she's growing into it. Hope this helped!!

Justine
30th March 2007, 06:24 PM
i like them becos alfs just looks soooo cute in it.and they come in different colors.i must admit i love the pink on the little girls,my friend bought 3 this week for her jack russells,2 camo,i pink.and i guess they are comfy for their necks which is the main reason to buy,esp. when they do seem to pull alot.

mishmosh
30th March 2007, 06:45 PM
Many dog trainers hate them though as they can pull even more on them as they have something to pull against on their chests (like huskeys do with their harnesses)

I would stick with a regular harness.

IsabellaBugatti
31st March 2007, 12:28 AM
Not trying to get off topic here, but has anyone tried this harness? I have been thinking about getting it for Bella. I like the idea of it being adjustable at the neck and belly, where the Puppia is just adjustable at the belly, right? It seems to be a similar concept.

http://www.trixieandpeanut.com/collars/nylon/137114.html

gramercy girl
31st March 2007, 03:07 PM
Teri, I haven't tried that harness, but I saw it at their store the other day and was contemplating buying it! tTo me it does look and feel very much like a Puppia... I just figured it was their version of the Puppia, but I didn't realize it had more adjustable-ness than the Puppia.... If we end up trying it, I'll let you know how it goes, and if you do, let me know as well... thanks!

danalynn
31st March 2007, 03:46 PM
We did not get one for our first cav, but got one for Teddy after seeing so many on this board. It has been easy to get on/off. He used it specifically for going to puppy training and the trainer said it was okay. In fact 2 more of the puppies in training ended up getting puppias as well and used them there.

We have not gone on formal walks yet since we just finished our puppy vax yesterday so I can not comment on the pulling. I do think it is easier NOT to get the leash tangled in legs because the connection is on the back of the puppy rather than dangling from the front of the neck.

I have already bought our next one as at 17 weeks we are pushing the limit of the small :shock: I suggest you go to a store and try one on Maggie (that is what I did) and see for ourself how it fits and if you like it. I also think they look pretty cute in them! I bet maggie would look great in floral or pink!!!

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u21/colin1teddy2/teddypuppia3.jpg

TKC
31st March 2007, 08:24 PM
We recommend using a Puppia in our training class and as trainers we LOVE them and have dedicated a whole wall to them in our shop! We like to see cavaliers and small dogs in them because owners always move their dogs by the collar and pull them into place or are just unaware that they are jerking a small dog by the neck, it's a hard habit to break! So we like to get rid of that. If we have pullers we use front connection Softtouch harnesses.

Also because cav's can be sensitive around the back of neck right where they collar moves when on a lead it is good to eliminate any discomfort.

And finally because you can throw them in the wash and they are just so cute especially the new pouch ones and the jacket type ones too.

My Dachshunds all have Puppia's and they are ideal.

Hope that helps :)

Caraline
1st April 2007, 04:01 AM
Should I go out and buy one... or two... or three?

If your dog is a small puppy at the moment, you will probably need 3 sizes over time. I got the small, medium & large for Beau. At 13 weeks he is almost ready to fit into the medium.

What's Good:

They are very soft & comfortable. They don't tend to matt the long soft hair in the armpits. They are extremely easy to put on & take off. They are washable.

What's not so good:

If your dog struggles on the lead, they can get out of them more easily than a regular harness. Because they are so soft, they certainly would not inhibit pulling.

I am probably one of the few that don't like the look of them much. I'm not really into cute apparel for dogs. So stone me everyone! :p

Roxanne
1st April 2007, 02:35 PM
All of my dogs were their puppias and we love them bc they are comfortable and they look so cute on !!!

I find alot of my customers buy them in multiple colors ......its like an addiction LOL But I would wait to buy multiples until puppy is grown :D Most Cavalier puppies wear a small .........most adult cavaliers wear a Medium ;)

Karlin
1st April 2007, 04:28 PM
The main size limitation on them is how they fit over the head -- it would take a pretty hefty or broad chested dog to be larger than the limits of a medium. Thus a medium will fit a lot of sizes of adult but some are really a bit too tightly worn IMHO and dogs often look kind of squeezed into them. I think a medium is fine for a dog up to about 17-18 lbs but after that they are getting tight and may not fit over the head -- I like them to fit comfortably loose over the head as it is the girth adjustment that is most important. Jaspar is pretty lanky and he is really at the limit of a medium for fitting over his head (he has a larger, broader skull). But a large is really just a bit too large. he weighs 16lbs. On the other hand -- I find Puppias are very inconsistent in sizing. I have some medium mesh Puppias which are very definitely smaller -- by up to a full inch; I've measured! -- than others.

The jacket type Puppias also vary oddly in sizing. The stripey and flowered ones are really cut small -- Lily, who only weighs 12.5 lbs, finds a L is a bit tight; she is in between L and XL. And in the denim jacket style that I actually bought her, she takes a large -- they are almost the exact same cut but strangely the sizing differs and they are more roomy. Go figure. Jaspar needs an Xlarge in the denim style jacket Puppia -- but bizarrely again, there's a significant difference betwen the large and X-large, compared to the gradation in sizes from XS to S to M to L, it is as if it goes two sizes up between L to XL. Sigh.

It really helps if you know someone with one to try on a dog; I'm lucky in that Tara and Lisa have them all in their shop so I can try them at the training centre (I have been known to spend 45 minutes+ trying on all the colours and styles... :lol:). I would never in a million years have guessed tiny Lily would need a large to an extra large in the jacket Puppias. I like their merchandise, love their various harnesses, but the fact that their sizing is so inconsistent, even sometimes in the same style, same size, is extremely annoying.

The jacket style is much more secure on a dog than the mesh style but costs a bit more (because it is more secure it is a better and safer style for puppies which are very good at squirming out of harnesses). The jacket style is also much nicer for dogs that dislike having a harness that has to be pulled over their head as it just velcros at the back like a shirt. Hence they are great for dogs with syringomyelia or PSOM who often do not like to be touched on their heads/ears.

My favourite jacket style:

http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=218

Heather Kay
3rd April 2007, 06:06 PM
This post was very helpful. I wanted to wait until I've had Bella for a few months to order her one, but found the pink tinkerbell harness on ipuppyzone.com for $17 and had to get it. Last I checked they were sold out in all sizes so I must have snatched up one of the last ones! ;) I am keeping my fingers crossed a SMALL will fit her for awhile...

*Pauline*
5th April 2007, 11:18 AM
It just seems such a shame to cover up so much of the "bib" (the lovely long chest hair). Also the catches on the Puppia harness and the leads are reported to break whilst on walks by more than one member on Cavaliertalk. I don't know why you all still buy them! :shock:

I do however agree a cavalier is better with a harness rather than a collar.

Karlin
10th April 2007, 01:27 PM
I don't use the Puppia leads because I've had three where the clasp popped out of the socket. I've never had any problems with the fasteners for the harnesses and I have 7 Puppies that the dogs rotate through all the time. I think some have found the fasteners eventually broke but not while actully walking the dog. I had a clasp of the same sort break on an Easy Walk harness.

Puppia generally do have a lot of inconsistency in quality -- sizing should not vary between the same sizes of the exact same harness for example. :roll: And it is very worrying that leads can so easily snap apart -- not even due to any level of pressure, all three times it was quite arbitrary. Onthe other hand, they wash well and have worn well (harnesses that is).

Cicero's Mummy
10th April 2007, 01:39 PM
I have found Dear Dog harnesses through www.ipetconnection.com (http://www.ipetconnection.com) and think they are pretty nifty!

You could always try those... :)

Gooby's are pretty great too and most are breathable mesh... haven't found an online site for those yet, but I get them at a local pet boutique. Ask a boutique in your area if they can order things in for you... our lady here doesn't carry Dear Dog, but she will order things in occasionally to let me check sizes and stuff if I am not sure! :)

casshon
10th April 2007, 01:52 PM
The Dear Dogs are great but they are very small. Bella wears a size large and she is 7KG. Unfortunately Honey & Molly are too big for the large and DD only do XL in the jacket type harness.

Kodee
10th April 2007, 06:50 PM
Many dog trainers hate them though as they can pull even more on them as they have something to pull against on their chests (like huskeys do with their harnesses)

I would stick with a regular harness.My trainer hadnt seen one before but had no issue with us using it. Kodee was better on it and pulled less. I guess it depends on the trainer. She did say once Kodee went to the next training level (in about 6-8 wks) if she still pulled to think about a gentle leader - but no point in trying now as she is still too little especially in the nose area.

arasara
10th April 2007, 07:55 PM
Debbie - This is a bit off topic from puppias but Kodee should be fine and not need a gentle leader as long as you work with her on pulling. :) She's still small enough now that you can shape her not to pull. Kosmo doesn't pull (unless he sees another dog :roll:) and I've never used one with him.. If you need help with her I can come and show you what I did :thumbsup:

Do you guys know if the dear dog harnesses in XL will fit a cavalier? I have 2 gooby sweaters for Kosmo and they are both size XL. The L wouldn't fit at all and I had to send it back.

I would strongly advise against wearing a collar because I've had to rescue my dogs from another bigger dog before and it works GREAT just to be able to pull them up and not worry about hanging them by the neck. :)

I have 9 puppias (wow do I really have that many?) and I LOVE them.. I use them all :lol: It's a bit of an addiction .. although I am sending the smaller 2 to my mom for her dogs I am now looking into different styles.. :lol:

Kodee
10th April 2007, 08:24 PM
Debbie - This is a bit off topic from puppias but Kodee should be fine and not need a gentle leader as long as you work with her on pulling. :) She's still small enough now that you can shape her not to pull. Kosmo doesn't pull (unless he sees another dog :roll:) and I've never used one with him.. If you need help with her I can come and show you what I did :thumbsup:

Do you guys know if the dear dog harnesses in XL will fit a cavalier? I have 2 gooby sweaters for Kosmo and they are both size XL. The L wouldn't fit at all and I had to send it back.

I would strongly advise against wearing a collar because I've had to rescue my dogs from another bigger dog before and it works GREAT just to be able to pull them up and not worry about hanging them by the neck. :)

I have 9 puppias (wow do I really have that many?) and I LOVE them.. I use them all :lol: It's a bit of an addiction .. although I am sending the smaller 2 to my mom for her dogs I am now looking into different styles.. :lol:
9 Puppias. NINE!!!Goodness girl what were you doing last night telling me your thinking about spring colours! Kodee doesnt pull anymore than the average puppy - acutally she is better than the average puppy (ha in all ways!). But everyone has me freaked over any pressure on the neck in a cavalier I find myself grinching when she does the puppy hit the end of the leash thing. Its why I like the puppia but at times I feel unsafe as I know if she wants to back up she will be able to get out (but she could get out of a regular harness too then). Really its a matter of doing the next set of lessons and all will be fine. I used the gentle leader with my lab as the vet said he had seen more damage done to dogs throats. I am very aware of the correction level it gives - its a fair amount and feel Kodee doesnt need that much correction but on the other hand dont want her bruising her throat. Ah see I answered my own question - type less, train more :rolleyes:

Oh and did you see the weather for our area... great day wed, thurs and fri. Oh lookey rain all weekend! You need to tell your work if the weather keeps up you need a wkday off to visit an important 12lb client with angry looking eyebrows!