PDA

View Full Version : RECALL CONTINUED...IT NEVER ENDS!!!

moniechris
30th March 2007, 05:13 PM
I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but there is more toxic ingredients in the recall which may include dry food:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17870750/

arasara
30th March 2007, 05:19 PM
Do you know what dry food would be affected???

This is getting ridiculous. "a small number of animals.."

BS !

moniechris
30th March 2007, 05:56 PM
They said that the contaminated wheat gluten went to an "unnamed company" that produces dry food. They still have to investigate whether or not the gluten was used in making pet food.

Who knows who it could be!! Good grief. Here they go again protecting the company's interests instead of the consumer. :x

Kodee
30th March 2007, 05:58 PM
If your worried check your dry ingredients. For instance Kodee was on Nutro Ultra dry from the breeder and here for 2 wks. It does not contain wheat gluten and that is where they are saying the plastic is found.

moniechris
30th March 2007, 06:05 PM
It looks like Stewie's wheat allergy might have saved all four of my babies...Could you imagine? Four sick dogs...I would have to refinance my house! :yikes

Kodee
30th March 2007, 06:07 PM
It looks like Stewie's wheat allergy might have saved all four of my babies...Could you imagine? Four sick dogs...I would have to refinance my house! :yikes
Touch wood and DONT ever utter that again in case you jinx yourself!

Bronte
30th March 2007, 06:08 PM
Griffin had a wheat allergy too, but I only switched him to Solid Gold dry food 2 weeks ago. He had been on Exceed chicken & Rice and then Exceed Lamb & Rice. I am so nervous!!

:(

arasara
30th March 2007, 06:13 PM
looks like we're int he clear as far as dry food goes ~ thank God.

Faith is on NV Raw in the mornings and she eats a combo of Wellness Fish/Potato and Innova:Evo at night w/a bit of Merricks canned *yes she's spoiled.*

Kosmo just eats Innova:Evo which is grain free.

It's really unsettling that Menu foods has "only confirmed 16 deaths."

Scouty girl
30th March 2007, 06:49 PM
I just want to know why the United States is buying wheat gluten from China. We can't produce our own here? What do we make here in the United States, besides cars? And that industry is floudering (so they say). It's difficult to find anything Made in the USA when you are shopping.

Bronte
30th March 2007, 06:51 PM
^^^
Amen Sister!

Do we have to out source EVERYTHING!?!

nangel519
30th March 2007, 07:40 PM
Eek! This is a horrible development! Sadie was on Eukanuba Natural Lamb and Rice Puppy when she came from the breeder, we are in the processes of switching her over to Merrick Puppy Plate, but she is still getting Eukanuba dry food. Let's hope everything gets straightened out and they finally tell us what caused it and EVERY SINGLE product that could be contaminated!!!

Well now I know I won't be keeping Sadie on the Eukanuba, I was thinking about it too because she has had some major gas since she has started with the Merrick! :yikes

molly
30th March 2007, 07:43 PM
I read somewhere that the price of wheat in the US had gone up 60% because of government subsidies of wheat for potential bio-fuels. What is upsetting is that made in the USA doesn't mean what you think it means.

arasara
30th March 2007, 07:55 PM
I agree with you 100% Molly.

Now I don't mean to be rude but when I buy food that says "Made in the USA" I really expect it to be made in the USA! not have 90% of it imported and then put together. :bang:

I am one of those people that when I go shopping and i see something "made in china" and something else "made in the USA" I will spend the extra $5 for what's made in the USA. Not that I have a problem with the other one, but I would rather support the US economy. It's a shame how many things are being outsourced now. I had a conniption fit the other day when I called my US credit card company and found out that somebody overseas was answering. I don't think major companies should be outsourcing everything and cutting corners like they do. The economy in US has really spiraled downward in the last 10 years. :(

Karlin
30th March 2007, 09:38 PM
The problem is that people want lower cost everything -- if you have shopped at a discount store, you have supported cheap labour abroad. If you want cheap chicken and beef from Costco and supermarkets, you support a quite corrupt insitutionalised food processing industry for both humans and pet foods in which health risks are larger and animal welfare concern is minimal, all in the name of buying a $5 chicken and knocking a bit off the price of your kibble. Many of these foodstuffs cost LESS than they did 20 years ago and that isn't even accounting for inflation! Talk to your grandparents and they'll tell you a chicken used to be something you rarely had because of the real costs of buying one. These are minimalised when you cram chickens into battery cages, cut off their beaks so they don't peck each other in extreme boredom, remove light sources, and dose them with drugs so they don't spread illness amongst themselves. Voila, the $5 chicken ('human grade' too, BTW). Cheap hamburgers. Low cost produce from discount markets.

Much better to support small local producers.

The reason wheat comes from China (or Russia or Germany) is because the US exports huge amounts of its own farm produce to other countries as well under (often, long standing) trade agreements. Rice for example is a huge export market for the US -- the US market is way too small to absorb more than a tiny fraction of what growers produce. Indeed much of what is produced in the US including foodstuffs is sold abroad. That is what floats the US economy. You cannot expect those markets to be open to the US and want the US to be closed to imports. BTW right now the US is fighting very hard to increase access to the Chinese market... which has been relatively closed to imports for a long time.

The biofuel scam is totally ridiculous -- it is affecting both corn and wheat markets to produce a fuel that costs as much energy to produce as it supposedly 'saves' in oil going to the gastank! It is a big gimmick. Carmakers need to be looking at better mileage cars and other sources fo fuel like hydrogen.

Shelly91180
30th March 2007, 09:51 PM
I am currently trying to switch my pup from Eukenuba to a different brand (still trying to figure out which won't make him gasy). I just checked Eukenuba's website and here is the link:

http://us.eukanuba.com/eukanuba/global/EukanubaMediaStmt.htm

arasara
30th March 2007, 10:23 PM
Shelly,

Glad you're switching your pup from Eukanuba. To be honest with you it's really one of the more mediocre foods out there. They use several fillers and animal by-products.

If you want recommendation on a good food there are several threads out there or PM me and I will give you a list :flwr:

The sad part of this whole situation is that the manufacterers are really trying to downplay everything. There has been WAY MORE than 16 animals affected by this recall. In the hundreds if not the thousands. I read on MSNBC that the FDA had received over 8,000 calls alone.

Karlin,

I totally agree about the whole bio-fuel scam. It's absolutely ridiculous. Whatever happened to the solar-car idea? And how come there aren't more of those on the market?

Speaking of the hormone-injected chickens and cows.. I used to live in a small valley in the US. It was a "grow your own meat" sort of situation. I gotta say - moving here to Canada it's amazing how much different and worse the meat tastes here! :yuk: It tastes MUCH better when you grow your own cows, pigs and chickens. Even the eggs taste better which I have no idea why - maybe because the birds are running through a field and pecking away at grain all day instead of being injected with a bunch of God knows what and having their beaks cut off :( :( :(

molly
31st March 2007, 12:45 AM
And yet another dog food recall by the FDA: this one a non-approved chemical in dog food for overweight dogs.

Iams and Eukanuba mentioned and Menu foods:

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/agriculture/story.html?id=dfddca69-f9bc-4ffe-a539-8e8ade895a24&k=97619

JeanKC
31st March 2007, 07:23 AM
Do you know what dry food would be affected???

This is getting ridiculous. "a small number of animals.."

BS !

I heard on the CBS radio news this evening that Hill's (Science Diet) had used the same Chinese supplier. We don't use Hill's, so I didn't pay close attention to if they'd actually issued a recall...but it seems like it wouldn't have taken another 10 days for them to do it after the Menu fiasco.

KC

Remali
1st April 2007, 12:55 AM
This is getting so frightening....well, I should say it is gettting MORE frightening and more alarming. Now dry food. And now Hill's Science Diet....I always thought that was supposed to be one of the "better" dog foods, so why are they getting ingredients from other countries I would like to know!!! I think a lot of these pet foods that claim to be so good have a lot of explaining to do.

icon_nwunsure

Kodee
1st April 2007, 02:48 AM
Hills is only for the cat kibble presciption diet - not any other kibbles. In fairness to science diet - they went out and did testing themselves. When they heard wheat gluten from a chinese supplier they also use they ran tests in a matter of days. That is a whole lot better social responsibility than Menu Food Products! I am not a science diet fan but do respect their quick responsible actions in this. Others should be so thoughtful.

frecklesmom
1st April 2007, 03:46 AM
Another company with recalls:

Del Monte Pet Products Voluntarily Withdraws Specific Product Codes of Pet Treats and Wet Dog Food Products

Had to google name under news. Wonder when this will end.

Remali
1st April 2007, 05:05 AM
I just watched our local News and another dog food was added to the recall.... Alpo.

I am so nervous, even tho the dog food I feed hasn't been mentioned, it still scares me beyond belief.

Charleen
1st April 2007, 12:10 PM
I spent 45 minutes today talking to my friend. She has 2 cats and a 1 year old dog and this food scare has effected her household. One of her cats has failing kidneys and the vet prescribed the Hills/Science Diet (that is on the recall list) ! The cat has been eating it for some time.

So the food that is supposed to help the poor cat with kidney problems, is instead poisoning the poor cat's kidneys more! She has an appointment with the vet for Monday to get the cat tested. You can imagine how upset my friend is.

She told me that she is looking very closely at all the food her pets eat and is going to change all of them to better foods. I shared with her what I am feeding my cats and dogs.

Besides the horrible situation for the pets effected, this has educated so many pet owner's to read more closely what their pets are eating. And the vet does not always prescribe the best foods for our pets.

Shay
1st April 2007, 01:25 PM
Anyone hear anything about Royal Canine? Their website says none of their food is affected. This is so scary you just don't know if you can beleive the companies who say their food is not affected.

Roxanne
1st April 2007, 03:39 PM
This is getting soooooooo scary !!!!!

I feed Life's Abundance kibble and Natures Variety RAW ........ not affected by the recall ..............but makes you wonder whose next :(

molly
1st April 2007, 04:59 PM
Hills dry food and Delmonte (whole list of products) added to recall.

List of Del Monte products:

http://tinyurl.com/2n8xnc

arasara
1st April 2007, 06:13 PM
Yikes... And it keeps growing and growing :(

I have jerkey treats but they are in bacon flavor - I got them at the grocery store because I can break them up small for training.

I don't even want to chance it - I'm throwing them out.

molly
1st April 2007, 06:31 PM
Foods that are not on the recall lists. From the L list:

PERMISSION TO CROSS POST

For those looking for alternative foods from those involved in the Menu
Foods recall.

A few of us have been trying to find out what foods are or aren't made by
Menu Foods. Much of the information came from calls to the manufacturers.
Here is the list I have compiled so far. THESE FOODS ARE NOT PART OF THE
RECALL.

This info is only to inform people of where foods are made, in case they
don't want to feed any foods made at Menu Foods. This information was
gathered from various sources, including manufacturers themselves, and is
not guaranteed to be 100% accurate.

Blue Buffalo: Not made by Menu Foods. Canned foods made by American
Nutrition in Utah. Dry foods made at CJ Foods in Kansas.

Breeder's Choice: Wet products made by Menu Foods, but not involved in the
recall.

Canidae: No products made by Menu Foods.

Canine Caviar: Not made by Menu Foods. Canned food made by American
Nutrition in Utah.

Castor & Pollux: Organix and Natural Ultramix made by Menu Foods but not
involved in the recall.

Drs. Foster & Smith: Canned foods made by Menu Foods but not involved in the
recall. Refused to say where dry is made.

Eagle Pack: Some products made by Menu Foods but not involved in the recall.

Evangers: No foods made by Menu Foods. They have their own cannery.

Go! Natural (Petcurean) Canned made at Menu Foods, Canada. Dry made at
various Candadian mills

Halo, Purely For Pets (Spot's Stew) Not made at Menu Foods. Foods are made
at a USDA kitchen where human foods are made. Nothing less than USDA grade
foods can even be brought into the kitchen.

Merrick: No products made by Menu Foods. All Merrick foods, dry, canned and
treats are made by their own facility.

Natura (Healthwise, California Naturals, Innova): Has their own plant for
dry foods. Canned food is made at the South Dakota Menu Foods plant, which
is not one of the plants involved in the recall. They also say
they provide all the ingredients themselves.

Natural Balance: Not made by Menu Foods. Dry food is made at their own plant
then shipped to the Diamond plant where it is bagged. They have their own
people on site all of the time. Canned food is made at their own plant, then
shipped to American Nutrition in Utah where it is canned. Natural Balance
has their own line at American Nutrion and no other canned foods are run
through NB's equipment.

Nature's Variety: Canned food made by Menu Foods but not involved in the
recall.

Newman's Own Organics: Didn't specify which, but said "We contract with an
organic- certified manufacturer to make our foods, although we develop the
formulations and source the ingredients".

Petfoodexpress.com says it's made by Menu Foods but not included in the
recall.

Pet Promise: Not made by Menu Foods. Canned foods are made at their own
plant in Wisconsin. Dry Foods are made at their own plant in Denver.

Precise: Refuses to say whether or not their foods are made by Menu Foods,
but they are not involved in the recall.

Solid Gold: No products made by Menu Foods. Dry food made by Diamond.

Timberwolf Organics: When contacted, they refused to say whether or not
their food is made by Menu Foods. Said they can't give out that information.

Wellness/Old Mother Hubbard: Some products made by Menu Foods but not
involved in the recall.

Wysong: Most foods are made at their own facility. Their Au Jus line, the
Chicken Stew and Gravy, and Beef Stew and Gravy foods are made at Menu Foods
but not involved in the recall.

Also, Trader Joe's is not involved in the recall, but is voluntarily
removing all canned foods made by Menu Foods, only as a precaution.

Charleen
1st April 2007, 07:44 PM
What I feed the dogs is not on the list either, as far as I know. It changes all the time.

Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul

Royal Canin Veterinary Diet IVD Canine Potato & Rabbit

Cathy Moon
1st April 2007, 09:38 PM
This is really concerning! I spent approximately 2 hours yesterday researching dry dog foods, and found this site:
http://www.petfoodexpress.com/petfood/default.asp?pageid=78&Section=About
If you scroll down, you'll see that Innova is produced there (with their own ingredients) as is some of the Wellness. I found out on other sites, too. I've decided to look into other foods that aren't produced there, not wanting to take any chances.

We're going to buy a 5 lb bag of dry Canidae and a 5lb bag of dry Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul at PetSmart to see how our cavs like it. Geordie may not get along with the grains, so we may have to find something else for him.

If these don't work out, we're going to buy some California Natural lamb & rice at the next Cavalier play group meeting because the training center stocks it. I'm also looking for Pinnacle Trout and Sweet Potato, but I'm not sure where to buy it, or Natural Balance kibble either.

Kodee
1st April 2007, 10:04 PM
I dont see this problem as being limited to menu foods or even menu foods.- its due to the gluten supplier (this time). I would much rather the FDA publish who supplied the wheat gluten and what client list that used it. From that perspective - it doesnt matter if merricks or who ever produces their own food, thay all buy ingredients - and an ingredient is the problem not the dog manufacturer. FDA needs to demand ingredient testing to ensure safety. Any one of those high end foods could purchase an ingredient contaminated and not know it just like menu foods.

Karlin
2nd April 2007, 01:01 AM
Just a heads up that Monica Segal the well known canine nutritionist has posted some info to the lists on feeding a homecooked diet with two sample recipes -- the one for small dogs would suit a cavalier.

I have posted her full email here:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8803

I think a lot of people may be interested in finding out what other alternatives there are to store bought foods.

Check out her website, as her book K9 Kitchen would answer many people's questions on developing a healthy diet for your dog and she has some great booklets on everything from recipes for homecooked or raw diets, to supplementing commercial foods with fresh foods (something a lot of people ask about here!) to diets for senior dogs, etc.

Monica has cavaliers herself and is a board member here. :)

Kingofthehouse86
2nd April 2007, 04:16 AM
This recall of foods is really getting to people...Almost 50% of our customers at the store call or come in and ask if such and such brand of dog food has been affected...or do you have a list of all the foods that were affected...I mean if everyone is so afraid of feeding either euk. or iams or sci diet, or any of the other foods one the supposed list...

We just ask what food are you feeding your dog/cat and if it's one that was on the list we recommend one better...Either Solid Gold, Innova/Evo, Wellness, Chicken Soup, Evangers, Nautral Balance...the list of recommended foods can go on...but you if poison can get into pets food so easily...think of how easy it might be to get into our foods

Lani
2nd April 2007, 05:42 AM
This is so scary ... and to think that a month ago most of us had literally NO idea that Menu foods made so many foods ... even Innova! (even if they were not impacted because they don't use the wheat gluten).

Lucky had his training class on Saturday morning and the trainer told us that two of the dogs in her class so far have DIED because of the tainted food, and another is in the hospital.

They were taking the Alpo off the shelves at Petsmart while we were there.

So scary - If one trainer can have 3 dogs impacted that she knows of, I think the true impact has been greatly understated so far. :(