• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Irritated Eye

cavalicious

I woke up this morning to find Ollie's right eye half open, red and very basset-like! :yikes

I wiped it over with a wet towelette and fed him breakfast and then put him to bed, I thought he would need the extra rest.

I know I should take him to the vets but after some bad news in the family we've had to arrange a very unplanned flight for Wednesday. We definately don't have the money to be making flights (especially for 3 people) and the added cost of the vet bills may not be affordable. My mum is out shopping and I know that she'd lend me a 50 for the vet but my dad is the only one home now and he would NOT! When I show him Ollie's eye he'll only say. "Leave it a few days and it shold be ok. Do you think I'm loaded with money and can just spend it whenever I want? Blah Blah Blah!"

Theres only a couple of days till Wednesday, it's all so rushed! I also need to find him a place to stay for when we're gone. I feel the best place would be his breeders house but that is QUITE a distance from the airport. I think thats the place we're he'll get the best treatment. I don't think I could handle leaving him in a kennel, especially if he needs daily eye drops or something.

I heard that bathing the eye in salt water could help, what do you think?

Sorry for all the trouble, Emily :flwr:

You are never any trouble Emily, we love you and Ollie both. I have no expertise in this matter, but I wanted to offer my sympathy to you. I use Bausch & Lomb for Daily Eye Cleansing or Emergency Eye Wash, it was very inexpensive. Tucker's eyes tend to get gunky and this seems to help. Once last year he got a very red eye and when I took him to the vet she prescribed an ophthalmic ointment. I wonder if your vet would consider allowing you to work for them in exchange for services. You are so good with animals and so smart, I would imagine you would be an asset. Sorry if that's a stupid suggestion honey, I wish I were closer.

Emily, I have often used Polysporin Eye and Ear drops to clear up the eye goop from my dogs.

You can buy it from the pharmacy here without a prescription...about $8.

It works very well and isn't expensive...good for pets. Hope this helps. :flwr:

I wouldn't be inclined to be doing too much cleaning and wiping till you know what you are dealing. If it is a foriegn body in the eye you could make it worse.
It could be a grass seed or something ? You can not always see what you are doing with the eyes when they are swollen and can make them very sore or even split if you prod and poke too much.

If you have cleaned it and are sure it could not be allergy related ? and you have no other option I would leave it 12 - 24 hours, keep him calm and rested and review tomorrow ?

Maybe you need to have a chat with your Mum and Dad about their responsibilities with pet care ? Or try and find some comprimise on the treatment you want for Ollie or this is going to be a problem that keeps cropping up ?

Are you too young to get a job ?

You poor sausage, if I win the lotto I'll be sure to set aside some cash for the Ollie health fund.
:lol:

Thanks everyone! I bathed it a bit in warm water but I'll leave it for now. We're taking him tomorrow I'm pretty sure.

Luvzcavs, it isn't a major issue it's just that my dad thinks we shouldn't run to the vet "for every little problem". And its more of an issue at the moment with the plane trip.

Last night I noticed him holding it a little closed but I didn't really think much of it, it didn't look serious.

It sort of changes in appearance a bit. Sometimes it looks dreadful, all droopy and red and sometimes it looks normal but just a little bit closed.

Thanks for the advice everyone :flwr:

I understand my Mum and Dad are like that with me now and I use my own money and live in my own house. I think its just parents for ya ?

Glad he is a little better, it could be allergy if it comes and goes. Digby has an eye like that and I give him a phenergan (vets advice) and it goes away very quickly.

Sorry to hear about Ollies eye. If you are unsure what to do, talk to the person who he is born, :flwr:

I keep my fingers crossed.

Back