• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anal Gland Problem

Pam Smith

One of Rudy's anal glands ruptured a month a ago. The vet said he should be expressed once a month. His breeder said she has never had any of her dogs to have to have this done. She said if it is done mannually it won't work on it's own. She suggested I add shedded wheat to his food. Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks,
Pam

I think the truth is somewhere in between. Small breed dogs can have more problems with anal glands because the openings are smaller and can clog more easily, but if your breeder breeds dogs that typically do not have problems, I would be inclined to leave well enough alone -- not have them expressed every month which is very frequent! -- and instead make sure the dog is getting lots of fibre and roughage. Shredded wheat will indeed provide this but not all dogs tolerate wheat very well. Raw carrots as treats, other fresh veg and fruits, a pitted prune a couple times a week -- these are all good for fibre too.

If a gland has ruptured already though you do want to keep an eye on this. I do not think having them expressed makes the glands stop working -- I mean, blowing your nose doesn't make your nose stop clearing of its own accord -- but I think vets can be over-enthusiastic about expressing glands. I know some breeders do feel strongly that once you start expressing the glands they need to be done by hand but I haven't found this to be true -- I get my vet to check and express my dog's glands maybe once or twice a year and that is it. I feed a diet that naturally has a lot of roughage in it though -- some raw bones, some cooked meals, fresh fruit and veg etc added to the diet.

Some dogs are prone to more anal gland problems than others, though.

I think that I would be inclined to follow the vets advice on this one.
We have to remember that just because a breeder has not experienced this with one of their dogs before does not mean you should ignore the vets advice. I have heard a lot that when they start to be expressed manually it reduces the effectiveness of the dogs doing it independantly and once you start you can't stop and such but .................... these little ones are as individual as we are really and so we can't always draw things on majority ?

I would perhaps adopt both strategies for now, feed the extra fibre whatever you choose and continue to have them expressed by the vet, if or when your vet it milking them they come to a point where thay are not getting much out then you know the fibre is working and you can maybe decrease it to bi monthly and so on ??

Hope that makes sense.

Just to add to the individual thing Harry and Digby are litter mates and Harry only needs his doing about twice a year where Digby needs his doing at least Bi monthly and they are both fed the same diet etc, high in fibre.

Thanks for the responses, I always get the information I need at this site. All of you are such a blessing :flwr:

One of my puppies had anal gland problems and I didn't know the signs. Her gland didn't rupture but they had to make an incision to let out the infection. Kaelin would scoot a lot when her glands were bothering her. I would definitely have them expressed. I give Kaelin a little pumpkin with her food and this has prevented it most of the time. Pumpkin has a lot of fiber and not a lot of calories. Good luck.

Ask your vet if Peridale would help it is a bulking agent used for anal glands. It helps to empty the glands naturally rather than keep doing it manually. Hope this helps.

Back