• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Does your Cavalier do this??

nursejess80

Does anyone else have an incredibly vocal Cavalier?? Ruby talks ALL the time. She makes these little sounds that are hard to describe...not a bark, not really a whine, just sounds. She's not a huge barker, although she has also found her voice in that aspect. It's pretty funny because it's like she's actually trying to talk to us!!

Yes. Pepper, our ruby, is very vocal in that way. He makes a lot of sounds that are not whining and not barking, and are not necessarily reflective of being in a particularly excited state either. It's clearly an attempt to communicate and tell us what he thinks about whatever! He has done this ever since we got him at 16 weeks.

And interestingly, although our blenhemi, Milly, doesn't vocalize in quite the same way, when she is playing with Pepper--rolling around together on the floor as opposed to chasing each other and playing rough--she also makes some of these same kinds of gentle vocalizations. It's really fascinating!

When I'm on the computer Tucker gets up on the bed in this room and starts talking to me to gain my attention. He does this after he's exhausted his efforts of playing fetch or tug-of-war by dropping toys and balls and at my feet, or standing on his back legs with said toy in his mouth. When all these efforts are ignored by me, he jumps up on the bed and starts talking to me. It's hard to describe it's sometimes a rumbling in his throat along with yelps and aaaaarghs, all different sounds. I know he's talking to me, I say "what, what do you want" and he escalates the talking.

Cupcake does this as well. She also makes a grumbling sound when I wake her up in the morning or pick her up when she doesn't want to be moved. :lol:

Kendra I love your avatar, lol .... she is well named, a little sweetie.

Another thing Tucker is makes lots of noise when he stretches.

Odie does a 'whisper' bark and if he doesn't get our attention it will become a loud bark. It's so funny and always makes me laugh :)

Maxx talks all the time and especially if he wants something. He'll run back and forth between me and whatever he wants, chattering away :lol:

Charlie only ever talks when he wants his dinner and can see it coming :roll: So food orientated that boy :lol:

indy talks a lot as well and he is becoming increasingly vocal as he grows (he's 14 months now). he has a little throat growl that's almost like a purr that he uses to get our attention when he wants to go in or out of a door and he does the range of little yelpy noises and warbles as well. he has mastered the pitiful warble when he doesn't get his way :roll:

he has also started the 'protest' groans when we interrupt his sleep. i think he learned those from his 'mama.' :lol:

k

My Ruby Lady will sit beside me and if you do not acknowledge her she will do a very soft growl, and if that doesnt work she will go to a loud back and frighten you!! when you do invite her on the couch.. she will lay on your face and unlike her Mam she doesnt like you but she will bury her nose in your eye, nose, mouth and ear, if you try to turn your head she will like whine.. we call it crying.. and if you talk to ehr while she is doing this she only does it more, and if you try to breadth she gets upset and crys even more which may turn to a bark...

we thought first she was hungry, but that wasnt it, thirsty? nope.... looking for attention?? maybe but why cry.... she is a funny one!!! and she doesnt do it to my Daughter only me and the youngest son, sometimes rarely to my eldest and never to my partner.

and if you lay on the floor she will try to smother you by laying on your face!!!!!! they are the sweetest things...

Cloe barks when she sees a ball and no one plays with her, major problems now as she is supposed to be resting ehr leg, so we have had to hide all toys int eh hope she will forget but she finds them!!

iMO, I think there are "talkers" and "non-talkers". Bianca is quiet (except for the occasional whine when she wants something, and a quiet dog is JUST fine with me!). But friends of ours have a very vocal Cavalier who makes all these interesting little ...well, I don't really know how to describe them...whine/hum/whaa whaa-type sounds to try to convey something. It's very interesting...I think he's pretty smart! He really "talks" with you if you start to ask him a question...and he seems to like to "talk" to the refrigerator door a lot... :D -Natalie

Joly is aweful and has got worse since Izzy went. visitors have always been greeted with a toy in his mouth and a kind of yodel. Both he and teddy bark when they are crated and think I've forgotten the compulsory biscuit before I go out, but , now, Joly , talks in barks, all the time. He barks to play (throw a retriev item), he barks for out, he barks for his dinner, he barks if I put my shoes on and comb my hair, he barks....

Izzy used to keep him in check, I think, because if Joly's argh-argh play with Monty got too loud, Izzy used sit at the top of the stairs and to howl, with Teddy helping out,sometimes.

Monty is quiet and will sit and wait, should the door lock him outside, but there's no way the other two would let this happen to them, without full throated complaint.

Everyone on the cavalier walk today was reminded that Jaspar in particular is a talker. :roll: That is, at any moment when he isn't carrying a stick or a toy he has fetched.

Back