PDA

View Full Version : Cavalier named Life-Changing Hearing Dog of the Year

Nicki
1st April 2007, 09:49 PM
An eight-year-old Cavalier King Charles spaniel called Harry, who lives in Windsor with his deaf owner Pat Preston (63), has been named Life-Changing Hearing Dog of the Year....

http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/hearing-dog-of-the-year.php

Cavaliers are so adaptable and clever, it's wonderful to hear of this wee chap making such a difference to the life of a deaf lady.

nlg679
1st April 2007, 09:54 PM
Oh Nicki,
What a great, uplifting story!
We love our doggies! ;)

Nancy
Teddy and sweet, little, Katydid

Charleen
1st April 2007, 09:55 PM
That is amazing!

Mom_of_2_Cavies
1st April 2007, 09:56 PM
Aw, that's great! What a special dog.

(And he reminds me of Joanne's Tucker, with that little bit of white on his chin.)

brid kenny
1st April 2007, 10:01 PM
Great story.

Lisa_T
2nd April 2007, 01:38 AM
Doesn't surprise me. I think Cavs are natural Hearing Dogs in many ways- want to be with their owners, likely to alert them to anything unusual, and small enough to go most places without a bother.

As I've said before, Holly fulfils a number of HD functions for me, with only minimal training- and only for me. I do rely on her for those things. Once we were in B&Q just after they instituted their no-dog policy, and just as the guy was saying...'only assistant dogs..' he pulled up, saw my hearing aids, and asked if my dog was a Hearing Dog. I said no, but that she acted as a hearing dog for me - and he said that was fine and qualified in his book.

But I think it was mainly the fact that the staff themselves were annoyed at having to enforce the ban, so any loophole...

I've often considered contacting Hearing Dogs and telling them about Holly and asking if they have any training tips I could use in order to extend her um, hearing dog functionality. That makes her sound like a computer, but it's the best word I can think of...

ETA: the must like B/Ts at Hearing Dogs. Here's another- different dog since there's no milk chin.

http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/news-info.php

enchantingdragon
2nd April 2007, 02:36 AM
Oh how wonderful to hear!!!! I never realized that these dogs were so versatile!! I am working toward becoming an interpreter of the deaf so this story is close to my heart :D

Kodee
2nd April 2007, 04:05 AM
Well being deaf in one ear since 5, I hope I never need Kodee to lend a hand but ya never know the clock is a ticking

Ginger's Mom
3rd April 2007, 12:56 AM
What a wonderful story!! Thanks for the post. :flwr:

Lisa_T
3rd April 2007, 01:41 AM
Well being deaf in one ear since 5, I hope I never need Kodee to lend a hand but ya never know the clock is a ticking

If you need help hearing the phone ringing, it's really easy to train a Cav to alert you to the sound. They don't usually need training for someone at the door... :badgrin: Holly has even been known to alert me if my mobile goes off for a message!

Cathy Moon
3rd April 2007, 02:48 AM
Lovely story - thanks for sharing!
I just love to learn more about how dog help people! :)

Joanne M
3rd April 2007, 03:14 AM
(And he reminds me of Joanne's Tucker, with that little bit of white on his chin.)

He does look like Tucker. I have taught Tucker lots of signs, as I have a degree in Interpreting for the Deaf and a sister that is deaf.

What a wonderful dog Harry is, no surprise he has made such a difference in her life.