• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

NINE WKS OLD: Sleep thru the night?

Briland

Helmsley is nine weeks old. I am getting up every three hours to take him out. He is not crying/whining....he is sleeping.

Is it possible he can make it through the night at this age? Should I be waking him up to go outside?

Briland said:
Helmsley is nine weeks old. I am getting up every three hours to take him out. He is not crying/whining....he is sleeping.

Is it possible he can make it through the night at this age? Should I be waking him up to go outside?
When Kodee came to us at 8 wks she got up (on her own) once in the night the first night and the second night well she whined and got let out about every hr on the hr.... oh now she realizes she is not at her breeders home! 3rd night she slept through and has ever since.

Personally unless you are having a problem with crate wetting - I wouldnt get them up, but rather wait to see if they need out. Feed last meal by 6, lift water by 8 and take out for last time around 10 or 11 - then see if mother nature comes calling.

Hello Briland

Yes, your puppy certainly may be able to sleep through the night. I most definitely would not be getting up & waking him.

I wake my dogs up just before I go to bed and make them go pee, then they sleep through the night. This also includes my 13 week old Beau who has been sleeping through since he was 8 weeks old.

Kodee said:
Feed last meal by 6, lift water by 8 and take out for last time around 10 or 11 - then see if mother nature comes calling.
That's exactly what we do and Mika almost always sleeps through the night. We've had her 2 weeks now (she is 10 weeks old) and I think she has only woken me up twice - both around 5:00 am. Other than that, she sleeps through.

mhabca said:
Kodee said:
Feed last meal by 6, lift water by 8 and take out for last time around 10 or 11 - then see if mother nature comes calling.
That's exactly what we do and Mika almost always sleeps through the night. We've had her 2 weeks now (she is 10 weeks old) and I think she has only woken me up twice - both around 5:00 am. Other than that, she sleeps through.

OH OH another Canadian! icon_welcome. I am slow and hadnt noticed that before! I'm in Ontario outside of Toronto.

I do the same as Caroline, wake Dylan up before I go to bed for a wee then Dylan stays in his crate till 8am. :D he did this from an early age too. Lucky you! ;)

Most puppies need to go out once at this age, usually around 3am or so. Some can manage to make it through the night but that is less common. You only should need to get up once, not every three hours (too much -- that will set his internal clock to want to get up every three hrs, which you don't want!), if he does need to go out. And, he should wake you to go out iff he needs to go -- unless, if he is soiling his crate, in which case then get up and take him anyway once nightly.

When dogs sleep (or we do for that matter) the body systems shut down to just maintenance level -- that's why you don't usually need to get up to use the bathroom once or twice a night (til people get older and lose some functionaliity of course!). So a pup that at age 9 weeks need to go out every 2 to three hours or so in the daytime (three hours would really be pushing it at that age. esp. if yu are trying to housetrain), can often sleep thru the night for 8 hoiurs, or just need to be up once.

Scout was 10 weeks old when I brought her home. After the first week (which consisted of a lot of whining) she slept throught the night. My opinion is let the puppy sleep....What's that old saying "Let Sleeping Dogs Lie". I know that doesn't actually pertain to dogs, or puppies, but it seems to fit here.

Charlie was 10 weeks old when we brought him home and he has been with us for 3 weeks now. He sleeps in a crate next to my side of the bed so that I can hear him if he cries. He has slept through the night every night and not woken us up once. He goes to sleep at about midnight and I get up at 7 a.m. to take him out. I would definitely not wake your puppy to go outside unless he is crying. Just consider yourself lucky like I do!

Count your blessings and let sleeping dogs lie!!!! :lol:

Zoey had me up every three hours for over a month. Finally, we just had enough and she sleeps with us...like a rock, all the way through the night. Boy did we show her!!! :roll: She has us trained alright!! :lol: ;)

moniechris said:
Count your blessings and let sleeping dogs lie!!!! :lol:

Zoey had me up every three hours for over a month. Finally, we just had enough and she sleeps with us...like a rock, all the way through the night. Boy did we show her!!! :roll: She has us trained alright!! :lol: ;)
They all get their time with us one way or another. Kodee may sleep in a crate all night with out ever whining but then she does get her way by whining if I even dream of going upstairs without her to so much as brush my teeth in the day - I think its my payback for leaving her at night. The neighbours probably think i beat her from the sounds of her sorrowful whines. Yup they sure do train us mighty fine. I get an A+ for being manipulated :roll:

I think it's okay that Helmsley sleeps through the night.

Ginger used to wake us up exactly at 2:30am to go potty but about at 4 mos she stopped..

To be honest we let her sleep with us on our bed at 4 mos of age and she's never woken us up since then!! :lol:

:oops:

Back