• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

News: sick puppy like car without an engine

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
I am posting this for information purposes for UK members. Note this person has not gone to trial and has not been charged and any discussion should NOT refer to this case using the assumption that the person is either innocent or guilty. If you are not sure whether your comments are suitable (see the libel section in Getting Started) please refrain from posting a comment.

Sick puppy was like ‘a car without an engine’
By Hannah Crown

A FAMILY whose puppy was described as "a car without an engine" by a vet will formally complain in a bid to stop an Essex kennels selling sick and diseased puppies.

The Berham family, from Ching Way, Chingford, paid £365 for Jessica, sold as a pedigree Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. She died after six weeks from a heart defect.

If they complain - as they say they will - the owner of Hot Dog kennels, Loretta Bastin, could be found to have broken a court order and face prison.

Mrs Bastin, of Dobe Farm, Wickford, was prosecuted by Essex County Council in 2004 after trading standards officers received a series of complaints from customers about puppies who were ill or died shortly after they were purchased.

Emma Berham, 22, said: "The whole family is absolutely devastated. We waited a long time and saved up to get the puppy."

She said Jessica developed a cough shortly after she was bought on January 17 and after a few weeks had problems breathing. She eventually died on Sunday, February 25.

The family were given pedigree certificates without the breeder's name and vaccination certificates with no information about the vet who administered them.

Ms Berham said they had been offered a replacement puppy by Mrs Bastin's daughter, but have instead received a full refund.

Speaking to the Guardian, Mrs Bastin denied a suggestion that the puppies were from puppy farms but would not say where they were bred.

She said: "Cavaliers are notorious for having heart murmurs. I wouldn't dream of selling a puppy to anyone unless I thought it would be in good health."

But she added: "I am not a vet - I wouldn't know if they had heart defects or not."

A spokesman for South Essex Trading Standards, which has been dealing with Mrs Bastin for nearly 15 years, would not confirm if Mrs Bastin was currently under investigation.

Link http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/display.var.1301941.0.0.php

:( Poor little pup, poor Mum and poor people. Just goes to show that people NEED to do their homework before purchasing pups from anyone.

Wow, I can't imagine what it would be like to be that family. That's just awful. :(

Is 365EUR an average price to pay for a puppy overseas or is this far less than what they normally go for??

I wonder what exactly the cause of her death was? Like what kind of heart defect? Wonder if it was just a bad case of KC?? icon_nwunsure

Back