• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help! They shaved my Monty!

montymom

Hi all! I'm new here- I have a 3yo cav, Monty, who is the light of my life! I was so excited to find a cav discussion site!!

Anyway, I took my cav and my aussie to get groomed a few days ago- to an upscale place nonetheless.. and asked for my aussie to be shaved for the summer (which he loves!) and a trim for my cav. But they shaved both of them!!!! I was SHOCKED! I just wanted his feathers trimmed! He doesn't seem to mind the draft- but they shaved his whole body. I just feel so bad. I loved his silky ears, tail and mane. And I think he was proud of them as well. Will it grow back the same??
thanks!

First of all, can I say welcome to the group :flwr: Secondly, I can relate to your distress as this happened to Maxx when he was about a year old. I had just come out of hospital and so sent him to a grooming parlour for a bath as I couldn't manage it. Not only did they bath him but they completely shaved him - he looked like he'd turned into a beagle :yikes

Needless to say, I was extremely upset and so was he - he spent the next 2 weeks sulking and refusing to go for walks. All he wanted to do was lie on his cushion, facing the wall & refusing to come to any of us :roll:

Anyway, his ears and his coat all grew back and in fact I trimmed his ears only last week as they were so long that he was almost tripping over them! It will take a while but rest assured, his coat will come back, just keep him warm in the meantime :flwr:

The same happened to a lady near us. She left Percy at the regular groomers for his usual bath and trim, but either the person dealing with him was new or didn't know him, so shved him. The only way I recognised him afterwards was by his typical walk and the fact that his owner's mum was with him. His coat grew back, too.

Oh phew! Thank you both so much :) glad to hear it will work out for my little man! icon_whistling
Thanks for the welcome and the reassuring thoughts!

We actually choose to have Duncan clipped our first summer with him. He just seemed SO hot down here on the beach. We left his feathers a little and only trimmed the length on his ears. He is clipped in my avatar...the only thing I hated was the tail. He didn't seem to mind and seemed more comfy. We are going to try and keep him long this summer as his coat looks so nice, but at 90-100 degrees here in the summer I know it is hot for him.

Your monty will be fine very soon.

Oh!!! I would have severely injured the person who did that. :x :x

Ready for a bad joke?? Now that's he's shaved, you've got "The Full Monty" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, too much caffine.. icon_whistling

:badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: Oh, moniechris, that's terrible! But Monty will be himself in no time. -natalie

I've had my girls shaved for the summer in FL, too. Makes for fewer tumbleweeds in the house! However, since Wallis has been sick I've been kind of adamant about keeping her coat. She looks best that way.

Monica - I hate to say it but I was having somewhat similar thoughts reading the title of this thread!

Well I'm glad for you that others report it will grow back with no damage. I cant imagine the shock of not knowing this was going to happen and then seeing him. The person I guarantee would have a "breakdown" by the time I chastised them, chewed them up and spit them out. Wow I am "emo" today!

Kodee said:
Wow I am "emo" today!

Dressed in black with black nail polish and make up, I hope? No point in a job half done now is there? :badgrin:

I must admit that I do shave my boys coats but I leave their ears and there is no doubting that they are Cavaliers as you can see from their photo on my avatar!

Maxxs_Mummy said:
Kodee said:
Wow I am "emo" today!

Dressed in black with black nail polish and make up, I hope? No point in a job half done now is there? :badgrin:

I must admit that I do shave my boys coats but I leave their ears and there is no doubting that they are Cavaliers as you can see from their photo on my avatar!
Your boys dont look shaved - I think of shaved as done to the skin! I know depending on your living conditions it can make it easier - I think it would be just the shock of not knowing it was going to happen.

Oh I had a daughter go thro the all black stage a few yrs ago for a few mths *shivers*

giggles oh man...that happend to my aunt.w.ith her golden retriever..took her to the groomers..and the dog came home completly shaved except her head..lol.

we acutally (ok not me..i thought he looked ...um FUNNY) got oliver shaved last summer...i told him he looked like a dork..lol.
but belive me it grows back!!

I have been toying with the idea of having Daisy groomed (bathed and brushed) and just the bottom of her feet trimmed out (not the slippers), but I have been so afraid that someone would get carried away on her and she would end up with rabbit feet and no feathers. I seriously would not be able to control myself if someone did that to Daisy! Did you tell them off? I'm mild-mannered, but I know I would be so specific in my instructions that if they goofed it up, I would lose control!

There's an upscale place near me that says they have won all sorts of grooming awards for many breeds, and that they groom other Cavaliers, but I'm still so scared to try it. I LOVE Cavvies' coats, and I just would never trim them. I would like to see Daisy all groomed up, and get her nails trimmed, but it just scares me. I remember when we had our poodles, FeFe's last trim before she died was just a complete shave job. I was so sad when we picked her up that I cried. She was such a beautiful dog all her life, and she had the absolute best coat, and then on her last trim on this earth, the idiot botched it so badly.

Maybe I'll muster up my courage and give the place a try soon. I am not good at trimming her nails or the hair between her pads, so I feel like it might be worth it just for that, and just to see how they'd fluff her up and get her smelling good.

same thing happened to my jadan a couple of weeks ago :(
and it had just turned rather nippy too. everything but his tail!!!! he looked like a little lamb and hes only 1. its growing back nice and thick and soft though :D :D :D

That is too funny! He is the full monty! stripped and everything! haha!
I think I'm just going to buy grooming equipment- it will pay for itself in the long run.

the problem now is, they shaved INSIDE HIS EARS! and he's been scratching the little fuzzy hairs so badly, there are bloody scratches in his ears!!! It breaks my heart! I think i'm going to ask for my money back.

I didn't complain at first, because i cracked up- he just looks so funny!! I need to get a recent pic up. The good thing in all of this is, it brought attention to a little wieght problem- with his fuzzy mane we couldn't tell he was getting a tummy!

Hey, Daisy's Mom - go visit the groom shop you are thinking about using. Take Daisy with you even. If they are award winning, etc., then they should have photos they can show you of their work. And you should be able to discuss exactly what you want done with Daisy, let them get it on paper, etc. Give you and the dog both a chance to meet the groomer before you are commited to having anything done. You might want to give them a call about coming in for a "meet and greet".

Do you not cut her toenails at all? If not, this worries me because they can actually curve down and grow back into the pads on her feet. Then you'll really have some shaved feet (and sore feet) after the vet gets it fixed. It's very painful.

Good luck!

I will never never ever take either of my babies to be groomed.
I will do it myself rather than put trust into somebody else and end result being shaved.

I think I would of killed them. :yikes :yikes :yikes

I sure as h$ll would of been really really pi%%ed off, and would of had them fired. icon_devil

Back