• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

scooting after castration?

KimNIndy

hi there---indy was neutered and had his umbilical hernia repaired last monday and is due to get his stitches taken out on thursday. the poor guy is pretty unhappy---he doesn't seem to be in any pain but i think that his healing stitches are driving him crazy. he is scooting all the time, especially on the bedroom carpet :yuk: and he does the saddest little throat growl of frustration at the same time.

his anal glands were emptied in january so i don't think that's the problem (although i'll have them checked on thursday) and i think this might just be the only way that he can scratch. we had to put the collar on him because he had actually licked---not his stitches---but the tip of his foreskin (???) until it was raw. we've been keeping sudocreme on it and it has improved a lot.

has anyone else had the frequent scooting after being castrated?

thanks!
k

Alfie has scooted so much that he has made the empty sack red raw. He was castrated 2 weeks ago and still has the collar on again today as he has licked the stiches and made them so sore again. The stitches he has take about 4 weeks to dissolve. Good old sudocream, I smothered him this morning put on his collar and he is almost healed tonight. I remember when my kids were young how good this cream was.

My friend's Border Collie did this after she was spayed so i don't think it's just to do with boys. I think it must affect the nerve endings in that area on both sexes :(

Floss had sudocrem liberally applied to her too and it soon healed. I love that cream, it gets used for everything in this house and it smells nice too :flwr:

Oh poor little Indy. I'd give the vet a call to see what they think. None of our guys had any problems after being neutered, but they were different breeds, so maybe tolerance is different.

My two didn't scoot after they were neutered/spayed, but it makes sense that they might scoot in a desperation attempt to relieve discomfort and itchiness where their stitches are.

These are the times when some comfortable garment like a onesie might help a lot, even for the boys (if the snaps don't hit in the wrong place). The trick is that it needs to be loose enough to be comfortable, but not so loose that they can get under it.

With my girl, I noticed that as long as she had the onesie on, she totally ignored her nether regions--didn't try to lick or bite herself through the fabric, ever. But any time I had it off her, she'd immediately go looking down there for some place to lick (she couldn't actually get a good angle on her stitches).

I don't think I've heard of sudocream. What's in it?

This is their website http://www.sudocrem.co.uk/ it's wonderful stuff, I use it for all sorts of things. I was even told by the guy who did my tattoo that it's the best thing to put on a new tatt as it doesn't dry the skin out but just heals. :flwr:

Back